Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Canine Ligament Tears

Hi All,

Wanted to start this thread for a few reasons...

1) I am starting to think that my 7 month old yellow lab might have torn a ligament. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but he's definitely favoring it some. He's placing less weight on the effected leg. There is no swelling, and I cannot hear any clicking in the joints. He's not crying, and his activity/energy level is not effected. (I have reduced his activities, and he appears somewhat displeased with my decision)

2) While searching around these forums, I found little information about other handlers experience (past and present) with ACL and MCL tears.

I have placed Diogee on what I would consider lighter exercise, meaning I have eliminated Doggy Day Care, and the evening walk. He is still going for a 45 minute to 1 hour walk in the morning before feeding.

So... with the info that I have found, it appears that some "experts" believe that this injury will heal over time with "lighter duties" and anti-inflamatory drugs, and others believe that surgery is necessary.

I think/know that I will have to get some type of xray or MRI (do they have MRI's for dogs?) soon, but wanted some input from the community on their experiences also.

Thanks,
Brokn.

Last edited by Brokn_Arrow; December 7th, 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Well for sure, you'll be wanting to take your pup to the vet as soon as possible. If it is a ruptured ACL (and only a vet would be able to determine that), it could be quite painful. This website has a good overview of ACL issues:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/rupt...ciate_lig.html

Looks like surgery is the best option for larger breeds. I know that the C.A.R.E. Centre in Calgary has a great vet that does the TPLO surgery ($$$).

Quote:
This kind of joint disease is substantially more difficult for a large breed dog to bear though all dogs will ultimately show degenerative changes. Typically, after several weeks from the time of the acute injury, the dog may appear to get better but is not likely to become permanently normal.
  • In one study a group of dogs was studied for 6 months after cruciate rupture. At the end of 6 months, 85% of dogs under 30 lbs of body weight had regained near normal or improved function while only 19% of dogs over 30lbs had regained near normal function. Both groups of dogs required at least 4 months to show maximum improvement.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM

WOW...

What a great link. Thank you very much.
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:42 AM
-

The website sugarcatmom posted is a good one and here is another site:

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/cruciatelrt.htm#

I have a yellow lab that is almost 2 1/2 yr. old. He had his first TPLO surgery on his right leg in March/07 when he was almost 20 months old and his second TPLO on his left leg in July/07 when he was 2 yr. old.

The first operation was a great success. The second one got infected and he had to have the plate & screws removed and then ended up with a tear in his meniscus. He is now doing fine but still on restricted activity.

There is no need for an MRI.......your vet will be able to tell you upon examination.
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I would just like to add to the excellent advice you have been given - MRIs and every other type of advanced form of X-Ray is most definitely available for dogs - unfortunately I found out this the hard way. Hope all works out with your pup.
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Hmm...

Definitely looks like the TPLO is the way to go. Heading to the vet this AM, so we'll know for sure one way or another.

Just out of curiousity, what did this procedure cost?

Thanks again to those that contributed input. Much appreciated.

PS. The idea of months of restricted activity? That blows, man.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Author Unknown
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokn_Arrow View Post
Hmm...

Definitely looks like the TPLO is the way to go. Heading to the vet this AM, so we'll know for sure one way or another.

Just out of curiousity, what did this procedure cost?

Thanks again to those that contributed input. Much appreciated.

PS. The idea of months of restricted activity? That blows, man.
A friend of mine had both knees of her rottweiler done earlier this year (the second knee ruptured about 4 months after the first one) and each operation cost over $4,000. I believe the grand total was around $9,000. She actually recovered quite quickly and did not need months of restricted activity, just very controlled walks in slowly increasing duration. She just turned 4 yrs old a month ago and is doing awesome.

Good luck, let us know what the vet says.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
-

We paid just under $3500 for each TPLO operation. We went to Kelowna to have it done. We could have gone to the U.S. where it was a little cheaper but opted to stay closer to home. Also could have gone to Calgary or Vancouver but our vet here said the procedure is more expensive there.

As far as recovery we were told 8 weeks of confinement and only going outside on a short leash for pee/poop breaks. Then you go for xrays to make sure the bone has healed. Then there is 8 weeks of rehabilitation to slowly build the muscle back. This consists of short walks increasing duration every few days.

I imagine your 7 month old lab is extremely active. It was hard to keep our lab from doing more than he should plus the fact we also have a siberian husky that is 6 months older than him and all they want to do is play together. That is the hardest part ....keeping them apart. I am sooo looking forward to spring.

Good luck and please keep us posted with updates.
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
-

Btw, I don't think you've been welcomed to the forum yet so....WELCOME. And, we would love to see pics of your boy.
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Btw, I don't think you've been welcomed to the forum yet so....WELCOME. And, we would love to see pics of your boy.
Shall I post the pics in this thread, or better to place them someplace else?

Author Unknown
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
-

It's best to post them in the Photo Forum here as more members will look there.
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:05 AM
-

Oh, and btw, how did your vet visit go this morning?
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Yeah... went better than I thought that it would. Vet thought that no pictures were needed, and that we're getting ahead of ourselves by starting discussions about surgeries. She did hear some clicking sounds, but range of movement was good, and there was no indication of "drawer movement." She thought that he might have a slight, partial tear at this point. So... we need to be careful right now.

She put him on an anti-inflammmatory, and directed not to go to Day-care for awhile. Shorter, more frequent walks are what we're doing for the time being to get rid of what I like to call "the puppy-crazies."

I'll get the pics of the lad up when I have more time to go through the thousands of pics that I already have.

Author Unknown