Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
sue038

Guess I posted this in the wrong forum before

Hi, I have a almost 5 year old larger breed pomeranian. On Monday when I got home from work Oreo met me at the front door, like always..excited! Within a few minutes I went to walk back the hallway. I heard Oreo drop to the floor with a loud thud. He was having some kind of seizure, tongue hanging out, not catching his breath. I was hysterical, this has never happened before. He must have passed out and when he came to was having a little trouble breathing still. My vet is out of the country until after Christmas, so I took him to another one He gave Oreo a shot of steroids to help with his breathing and some pills to keep him calm. His breathing did get fine and he does eat and drink but now the problem. Since all this happened he can not get up. Not happy with the first vet I took him to one further away...recommended by his breeder. He thinks Oreo had a stroke or when he fell may have slipped a disc. He gave us prednizone and wants to see him back in five days. He also told me in order for Oreo to go to the bathroom I should let him use his front legs and hold him up in back with a towel. Well this isn't working, because he gets aggressive and I think I'm hurting him. He needs to go to the bathroom! Anyone have any ideas? This is killing me, even though he doesn't seem to be in pain as long as not moved.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Geek Club CEO

I would strongly recommend you get your dog to see a neurologist or at least to another vet who can offer a more definite diagnosis. A slipped disk is a very serious problem. Is your dog able to urinate/deficate on his own? I mean, can he stand in one place and releive himself with a full stream of urine, or is he dribbling/are you finding wet patches where he's lying?Unless he has control over his bowels/bladder, you will have to help him go by expressing him with your hands. If he's dribbling, then the bladder is overflowing and this can result in a serious bladder infection. Your vet or a technician should show you how to do the expression.

DO NOT allow your dog to move around at all. He should be completely crated except to pee/poo, and he should be carried out to go to the bathroom. Don't let him drag himself around with his upper body. Some dogs can regain use of the back legs after crate rest (usually the recommended period is SIX weeks), but surgery might be recommended.

What a terrible ordeal for you two. I hope your vet (or another) is able to help you better!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
sue038

Thanks for your concern

Oreo does urinate on his own but he can not deficate. I called the vet on this today (waiting for his return call now). We tried puting a towel under him to carry him outside but he gets nasty. He has never been put in a crate but is lying still in his bed and is only moved to change the blanket and pad. I cannot leave his sight or he carries on. This will be a real problem on my return to work Monday. We'll make it through this somehow. He will be returning to the vet Monday after 5 days of rest.
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Sue038 I am really sorry you have to find a way to deal with this. Our little guy has had two back episodes tho he has always been able to peep/poop on his own. We tried the towel thing once but he did not like it and wiggled too much so we would carry him ever so carefully down the stairs. Fortunately he never loss use of his back legs as yours has so I do not know how to help him poop.

Hopefully the vet has called back by now. How long has he been on the prednisone? Hobo showed much improvement within 24-48 hours.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I do know how stressful it is and yes, you will find your way thru this.

Good luck.
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Geek Club CEO

You may want to consider getting a crate or a playpen or putting him in a bathroom while you're away at work next week. A knock at the door, a sudden noise, could get him thinking about "running", which could be really, really bad if it is in fact a disk problem. I cannot stress enough how important it is that he not be allowed to move AT ALL except when you're carrying him.
I recommend you check out this group if you're looking for advice from people with LOTS of experience with this: www.handicappedpets.net
Go to the "mobility/paralysis" forum, you'll get answers and lots of support quickly. (I'm a member of the amputation forum, but I hang around on all the boards).
Keep us posted.

Edited to add:
I just realized you said that you have to change his blanket...so he's "leaking"? This is not normal urination, and is indicative of incontinence. He should not be wet if he's emptying his bladder when you take him outside to pee. Again, if this is the case, its really important that you help him empty his bladder by expressing him with your hands. With a small dog it's not hard to do at all once you get the hang of it. Again, I'd recommend checking out the handicappedpets site, there is a lot of information there on incontinence.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by bendyfoot; December 14th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.