Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Cat gags and vomits while purring - Answered by Dr. Slome

My cat will throw up a runny hair ball or whatever hes recently eaten after we have pet him and he starts to purr. He has just gotten over a cold....and is eating, drinking, pooping and running around as usual. He seems very happy except for that purr/puke thing??? I will be taking him to the vet but i thought id see if anyone knew anything about this.........thx
Hes a 10 yr old male short hair. In good health and is both an indoor and outdoor cat with 2 other cats living indoors.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

This is certainly interesting. He may have a sore throat or an inflammation of his stomach or oesophagus that causes him to regurgitate or vomit when excited or stimulated etc. Sometimes fur causes mechanical irritation and resulting inflammation that is responsible for this condition. Other conditions that your vet will need to rule is a foreign object lodged in his throat or in his oesophagus or stomach. He may also have to check for some viral diseases that may have been contracted from being outdoors.

Make sure you have him protected and on good parasite control. I guess a starting point to try and rule out what is going on is a fecal test to check for intestinal parasites and an x-ray to check for obstructions from foreign bodies incl. fur balls.

Last thought is that there may be a food intolerance causing an IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease) and this will be something that your vet may need to address also.

Good luck

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units 40-42
Thornhill, Ont.
L4J 7Y3
Tel. (905) 771-9855
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Gagging while purring

Hi,

I'm interested in this thread because I've been unable to find a solution for a similar problem I'm having with my male cat. When he purrs, he creates so much congestion that he coughs and gags. This only happens when he purrs, and he is otherwise fine - never has runny eyes or nose, or coughs or gags for any other reason. The congestion appears to be nasal rather than his lungs, and my vet said his lungs were clear. But it's quite bad. It's as if purring creates so much nasal phelgm [he acutally gurgles], that he gets some kind of post nasal drip and then hacks and gags. He doesn't regurgitate anything from his stomach [as in the previous post with vomiting]. He may occasionally expel phlegm with this though.

It's really sad because it prevents us from petting him for very long, and this problem has been persistent for about 2 years [he's 10 years old and in otherwise excellent health].....he starts as soon as he starts purring, which he does as soon as any of us get close to him. He's a real cuddler, but he usually has to get up and leave because this makes him so uncomfortable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=338056#post338056

My cat has exactly the same problem as this. I wonder if you (Bird) ever got any help or explanation with this?

Jean
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hi Jean (and Bird, if you're still milling around),

That's what was happening to my guy Jake - as you can see in this thread about it: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46076

Turns out he was suffering from something simliar to an URI - it looks like he had an outbreak of Feline Herpes, which he caught off of our kitten, Alley. According to some research I've done, about 90% of cats have it, but you usually don't see any signs unless they have experienced stress, change in environment, etc. The coughing is due to congestion - you might notice your cat swallowing a lot more too - trying to swallow down the phlegm.

I would watch your kitty for signs of not eating as well - when their noses get stuffed up they don't want to eat as much.

You can pretty much just treat the symptoms, and everything should wrap up eventually. Jake just wrapped up a bout of Clavamox, he's on some diuretic pills to clear up some fluid in his lungs and has some L-Lysine in his food, and he's almost completely better.

I would ask for a check for this. If not, you might need x-rays to see if your cat has something more serious, like asthma or bronchitis. How old is your kitty? Asthma usually appears in younger cats, but bronchitis can happen any time.

Hope that helps!
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Cat Coughing and Gagging when purring

Hi Phoozles

Thank you for your reply to my post. I did find your thread after I had posted my message to Bird.

My cat, Oscar, is 16. He has a hyperthyroid condition. He goes to the vets regularly for a check on his condition and I have taken him with regard to the purring problem. Oscar also has a swelling in his tummy that is undiagnosed and does not appear to be causing him any discomfort or pain. Because of his age and his hyperthyroid the vet has told me that there are massive risks attached to any investigative procedures requiring aneasthetic and even sedation. Oscar gets himself in a real state when he goes to the vets. He would have to be sedated for Xrays etc. and we have agreed that while his quality of life is good, which it is currently, we will just let him get on with it. The vet could not find anything that might be causing him to have this problem when he purrs and he just said as long as it is only when he purrs and he is OK otherwise leave him. Alternatively, if I felt it was causing Oscar too much distress he suggested a throat probe which I really don't want to put him through.

I think this probelem distresses me more than it does Oscar. He just seems to have a cough, have a drink and then he gets on with it. As Bird said in his post it is heartbreaking not to be able to pet him as I would like and trying not to make him purr. Like Bird's cat, Oscar is big on purring.

I have to say that I do not have a lot of faith in my vet. He has no knowledge of complimentary medicine for pets nor has he been able to give advice on supplements. He did give Oscar a cause of antibiotics when his purring problem first started but they had no effect. As soon as I saw your post I ordered some L Lycine. I am going to try him on that. He has no other symptoms, eats well and dsepite his thyroid condition (which is under control) he is a happy, healthy cats.

I really appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

Jean
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hi Jean,

It's frustrating when you come across a vet that doesn't seem to want to look at alternatives. The antibiotics Jake was on didn't do anything at first either - but it did seem as though the L-Lysine did make a huge difference - He loves to purr too, and I'd say about 2 or 3 days after he was on it, his cough went away. His breathing isn't perfect yet, but he's a much happier cat - playing and purring away. I'd say it made a HUGE difference in my little guy, and I hope it does for Oscar too!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Hi Phoozles

Thank you. I will let you know how Oscar goes on. I hope the L-Lysine has the same effect on Oscar as it did on Jake. I am hoping this will be enough without further antibiotics. The vet did say his lungs were clear but I can identify with what you said about him sallowing more, particularly when he just wakes up.

Jean
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:24 AM

Hi again Phoozles
I was just wondering what dosage of L-Lysine your vet recommended for Jake. I saw an earlier post on your thread indicating 500mg per day in 2 doses. Oscar is only small 3.6kg and I don't want to give him too much.

Many thanks

Jean
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
I was just wondering what dosage of L-Lysine your vet recommended for Jake. I saw an earlier post on your thread indicating 500mg per day in 2 doses. Oscar is only small 3.6kg and I don't want to give him too much.
The vet didn't prescribe by weight, but by age. We got the powder form (I believe there is also a pill), so the kitten gets 1/8 tablespoon, and Jake, the older one at 9, gets 1/4 of a tablespoon, both twice a day.

I don't know how much that works out to in mg - did you order the pill or the powder?

Old November 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM

did you order the pill or the powder?

I ordered the pill but I have seen the powder dose soemwhere online that indicates what you are giving Jake is about the same a the 500mg daily dose. I'll give that a go.

Many thanks

Jean
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Good stuff Jean - let us know how it goes!

that Oscar's cough goes away.

I wanted to add that Jake is also on a diretic due to some excess fluid that was in his lungs and heart - which we found in x-rays. I know you mentioned that he has a rough time at the vets, but if the Lysine doesn't work, you might think about asking about something to clear the fluid as well.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

How long was Jake on the L-Lysine before you saw a difference in his coughing? Also, what medication did your vet give Jake to get rid of the fluid? According to my vet Oscar isn't allowed anti inflamatory medicines because of his hyperthyroid condition! In the UK I feel we are a long way behind with our vetinary treatment.

Many thanks

Jean
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I guess he was on the Lysine for about 2 days before it went away completely, but again, I don't know if it was completely due to the Lysine, or if the other pills had a hand in it.

I don't have the name of the pill on me right now, but I'll look it up and get back to you.

In any case, give the Lysine a shot and see what happens - maybe that was it all along!

Old November 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM

This is Oscar's 3rd day on the L Lysine and although he seems much livelier and is into everything, I could not say there is any improvement in his coughing/gagging when purring! I will certainly give him longer before I decide it's not working.

Jean
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Oscar and his L Lysine

Hi

Oscar has been on the LLysine for 3 weeks now. Although his problem with the retching and chocking when he purrs had not completely cleared up I had seen a great improvement. However, he had a really bad night last night so I'm a bit concerned this morning. Any advice greatly received.

Jean
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hi Jean,

Sorry, I missed your previous post. If the coughing still hasn't gone away, my only recommendation is to get Oscar back to the vet - and get an x-ray to see if there is fluid in his lungs or around his heart. If so, your vet should put him on a diuretic, and that should clear him up. If not, he might have bronchitis.

After Jake was on his meds for a couple of weeks he's back to his old self - not coughing at all any more and playing too!

Also, do you have him on a good food? I also switched Jake over from Weight Control Iams to grain free canned Wellness, so I don't know if that had a hand in it as well.

Good luck - I hope Oscar will be back to his old self!