Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Question My dog wont eat - on antibiotics for bladder infection

:pawprint: I have an 11 year old min pin. she has been in good health up till two weeks ago. I thought she was dying. When she when poop , it was blood that was like water and she wont eat a thing. We took her to the vet and he said she had a bladder infection and dehydration. She is on three antibiotics and its been over 1 week and she still will not eat. She acts very tired and not interested in doing anything but sleeping. How do I get her to eat? She has about 5 days of meds still to take. I am very worried. I do not see any blood when she go poop. but very worried about her not wanting to eat. I have resorted to drawing babyfood in a syringe and forcing her to eat. how long will i have to do this.
I am at wits end and could really use some suggestions.
Terrym

Last edited by White Wolf; June 24th, 2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: sorry no email addresses for your safety.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

The antibiotics do affect the appetite. I would call your vet to keep him updated on her condition.
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Not eating and antibiotics - agree with glasslass

I agree that antibiotics can affect the digestive system and that it's important to keep the vet apprised of the fact your dog isn't eating. My Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix has a severe skin rash and was put on steroids and an antibiotic two weeks ago (on a Monday). She rebounded immediately with energy and appetite, but in less than a week (the following Sunday morning) she completely stopped eating and drinking, vomited all that was left in her stomach, could hardly move and spent all her time sleeping (or laying with her eyes closed - can't say she was sleeping.) Candy is an old dog (perhaps 15+) and I decided to let nature take its course and I stopped the drugs --- NOT THAT I RECOMMEND THIS (I'm not a vet nor medically educated) but it just seemed the right thing to do. I had food (cat food, dog food, wet stuff, dry stuff, people food) and water available and offered it to her, but she refused all of it. This went on for about 4 days -- no eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, nothing. On Thursday morning (going on the 5th day off the drugs) I offered her a bit of cheese (her absolute favorite snack we would give her once in a blue moon) and she gobbled it up. Figuring I couldn't do anything worse at this point, I cooked up a can of turkey noodle soup and offered a few tablespoons of the broth to her (after it had cooled of course.) She loved it. On Friday I gave her more soup and included some of the noodles and veggies. She wobbled outside with my help and did her business including a strained and painful poop. Yesterday (Saturday) I gave her soup with the noodles and some deli turkey. By last evening she had so much more energy and strength and didn't need any assistance from me to get around. Today is Sunday and she's already had 3 tiny meals of soup. I've also switched to bottled water since we're on well water that's high in mineral content.

I would stay in touch with your vet and maybe ask if there's a lower dose or different type of antibiotic your dog can take. Or perhaps he can give your dog something like a laxative or a stool softener. Classic signs of constipation are: eating stops (because the dog knows what's in the stomach has nowhere to go but back up), a hunched back, tail curled under, laying down anyway but on its side (my dog chose to sleep on her belly with her back legs crunched up to one side and her front legs splayed out to each side--looked so uncomfortable but must have been her best way of dealing with discomfort and pain.)

In all my desperate research over the past two weeks, I did read about purposely fasting dogs and dogs that fast themselves when ill. Not that I agree with this at all. But it was something I read.

Anyway, see what your vet says.

Sue in PA
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Hi Terry m

I recently had a cat that wouldn't eat. She had similar issues, a urinary tract infection and, in the end we learned, kidney abnormalities (her kidneys are too small and so didn't work efficiently when she got her infection).

I strongly agree with glassglass and others that you should call the vet back again (if you haven't already) to get more ideas about the not-eating thing. A week is a long time, and for a small dog, the weight loss can be more dangerous (1 pound or 2 for a small dog is a much bigger percent of their overall weight). Also, not eating can cause permanent liver damage and that can in turn cause loss of appetite. It's a vicious circle, but the liver damage can be undone.

Keep trying different things and find something you can get into her, even if you're hand feeding (as long as not discomforting for the dog) until you know why it's happening. Don't give up.

I didn't give up on my cat and the vets finally determined what the cause was (small kidneys combined with infection and bladder stones lead to drop in potassium that caused other symptoms, incuding not eating). She's doing much better now!

Good luck!