Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old June 15th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Bryants new Photo-op

I just caught the tail end of a report today were Bryant had some cars being crushed as he gave a press conference ....what the he11 was that??? anyone else see this???
I know its because the cars were being used to race down a public street and were confiscated but could the cars not be used for something positive instead of a giant back drop for mr. Cheap Publicity.....???
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM

I suppose that is why all we have heard about in the past few weeks was "STREET RACING" time and time again .
I can hear the little freak now "street racing is banned banned banned in Ontario". Like it wasn't already . Just that now it is headlines so guess who is beginning another "grandstanding" campaign and get some free press for what Harper is doing. Riding on the coat tails of the Feds that he campaigned against a few months ago is not likely to work and I hope people start to see how shallow this guy really is .
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Check out City tv, I think theyll show it again, youll laugh your but off lol Its soooo "over the top" I mean whats the point of crushing cars, uuhhh its not the cars...its the drivers! LOL He had to crush the cars cause we know he cant BAN them...hehheeh
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

There's a big long article to go with this, but here's the end that grabs me...

""These cars are souped up today to Indy-car performance using super charger blowers and nitrous oxide and they are just way too dangerous for our streets," said Bryant. "It is a problem for urban street, suburban streets and rural roads as well."

Bryant said under the civil forfeiture law the Crown only has to prove that a car is being used for illegal purposes in order to seize and destroy it.

"The burden of proof is different than that for a criminal offence because we are not attempting necessarily to target a crime, we are merely attempting to seize an instrument of unlawful activity," he said. "These souped-up cars by nature are unlawful." "

So, regardless of whether you are actually breaking the law or not, the fact that you have a modified car means, to him, you are breaking the law? Never mind you may be an enthusiast who doesn't speed, or you are one of those who does the responsible thing and uses your vehicle at legally sanctioned tracks, the fact that you have one makes it a criminal offense. Hmmm...I wonder what Rally Sport Ontario would have to say about that. To participate in rally racing, your car must be licensed for the road. I'm thinking there stance would be something along the lines of "Don't punish the deed..."

I guess all those auto shows I go to with customized cars are now a hot-bed of illegal vehicles. Remember, by nature, these cars are unlawful...regardless of how they are being used. Inherently dangerous, perhaps? Oh, and the Corvette that was toasted last night on the 401...guess those will be banned too.

So, it isn't street racing they are targetting, but now customized cars are BANNED! BANNED! BANNED!

Almost makes me want to get our Civic Si back so I can go driving by him with Daisy in the passenger seat...

Last edited by Schwinn; June 15th, 2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributor

To date, the Ontario government has done a poor job of dispelling those concerns, particularly because many key parts of the legislation are vague and not fully developed. Attorney-General Michael Bryant said last week he intends to amend the bill to clarify the kind of legal supports complainants will receive. He must spell this out in detail soon if he hopes to ease fears that he may be sacrificing accessibility for speed and efficiency.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968350116795

Pit bulls? No. This quote is in regards to the new proposed provincial legislation to streamline and speed up the human rights complaints process. So what’s the point? Vagueness in his rushed through legislation – again.

Another piece of legislation proposed by Bryant is being called vague. I’d love to see this guy’s marks from school. Did he ever get anything higher than a B? How long will he be allowed to pass laws which are called vague? Just over a year, that’s how long. It certainly proves that you don’t have to be very smart to be a politician.

Today’s dog and pony show which the Star described in their story as “the spectacle” and “the theatrics” probably did more harm than good for Bryant as it certainly showed him to be the cheap showman that he is. I glad the media were allowed to play a part in his embarrassing spectacle.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Well it seems the Toronto Sun got it right. Here's the bottom half of the story (full story @ http://www.torontosun.com/News/Toron...35702-sun.html )

And while Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant stood beside the York Regional Police chief in solidarity, his government hasn't found its way out of first gear on the issue.

In fact, provincial Liberals -- on the same week they want to be seen as steel willed on street racing -- blocked an attempt by Conservative MP Frank Klees to get unanimous consent for his legislation aimed at shutting down street racing. It would include the power to impound cars if a street race is suspected -- rather than the way the two Hondas were confiscated -- and issue on-the-spot licence suspensions. As well, nitrous oxide fuel systems would be banned from roads.

'DOG AND PONY SHOW'

Klees' recommendations are not new or even that controversial. They were carried forward after the last Conservative government lost power.

But Bryant said yesterday the province just needs more time to look at the road ahead.

He added, there are many bills, unrelated to street racing, which are also important and shouldn't be pushed behind to deal with racers.

This, while standing for a photo-op by crushed street racers. This while basking in a glow of a day set aside for getting tough -- now -- with punks who believe being a man is gauged on a speedometer.

Bryant said they would look at what Ottawa is doing, and perhaps come up with their own legislation as well.

His words -- while circled by cops who day and night are trying to slow down these speed demons -- had as much power as the two crushed Hondas.

Klees yesterday called the car crush "a dog and pony show," which is an insult to victims of the crime.

Earlier this week, I sat with John Hickey, the father of Allison Hickey, who along with her fiancee, Mark Radman, were both seriously injured by an alleged street racer two Saturday's ago.

That dad hoped the province would act fast, and see the wisdom of getting onboard what Ottawa, Klees and the police are trying to do. Obviously, they have not yet gotten the message. As graphic as it often is.

Yesterday's display here was meant as a warning that police are serious about tackling crime which has claimed 34 lives in the GTA since 1999.

But it also symbolized how the province -- in anything more than talk and photo-ops -- is being left in the dust on this one.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I am glad I was not the only one who thought Bryant was a complete joke
The cars in the pic,I believe were seized in 2001-2003,such a clear Photo-op it's laughable.
Throw the person in jail for 15 yrs+,who made a 7-yr old girl an orphan.
It would not bring the parents back,but I strongly believe in punishment to fit the crime...something we are sorely lacking in Canada.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

This guy does not know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. Maybe if he would have actually been looking at crime and criminals in the city instead of picking on a breed of dogs this street racing might have had stricter laws before these people were killed. Just a thought maybe he should think about amending the young offenders act so these kids are punished as they should be not a slap on the wrist. Maybe hold the parents responsible too. This guy is a joke and a bad one at that. He is only about seening his ugly mug in the medis. I am beginning to wonder if the guy even attended a law school or got his degree off a match book cover. Your average citizen. knows more about what needs fixing in this country more than this moron. Anybody in the private sector would have been fired long ago for doing such a horrible job.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Who is Bryant?

Hello all,
Being from the states and all...I have no idea who this Bryant character is, can someone tell me please? He sounds like devil, from the posts I have seen...lol
Mahealani
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

He is the Attorney General and has no idea. He is the one who spearheaded the breed ban because as we all know dogs are much more harmful than humans with guns. That is why he spent a year trying to prove how vicious Pits and Staffs are. He is a media whore and another useless politician
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I might be confused but don't we already have a law against altered cars?
My son got in trouble after "fixing"his dads old Cutlass..
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico street racing is already illegal and I am sure there are some modifications that are illegal too. But we are dealing with an idiot and a media hound it is all about seeing himself and hearing himself talk. This guy does not let facts cloud the issue as we all know. Hopefully some informed reporter will ask the important questions and show him for the fool he is.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Well this is just great! So now not only am I at risk for some idiot to mistake Nikita as a Pitbull ( cause she is brindled, i already get it alot) but now hell forbid i fix my Camaro to the way i want it! ( 454 motor) Hrmm? Im in trubble no matter what i do arent it! Thanks Bryant!
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:28 PM

I don't get it..... the police and politicians keep telling "street racers" to take it to the track... but when they do the insurance companies say "your coverage is cancelled".....
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow I mean the Attorney general can never be accused of grandstanding or making it look like he is doing something. hes just so proactive. BLAH!

I was thinking when they annouced he was gonna do this I wanted to go and heckle him.
When I saw this me and the husband looked at eachother at the same time like can you believe this guy. I really hope Ontarians are smart enough to see it for what it is. This guy truly makes my skin crawl. And he is making laws to protect us? God where is our protection from him?
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
Wow I mean the Attorney general can never be accused of grandstanding or making it look like he is doing something. hes just so proactive. BLAH!

I was thinking when they annouced he was gonna do this I wanted to go and heckle him.
?
Oh how much fun would that have been????!!!! I wasnt paying any attention to any of it, I just usually have city pulse on during the day while Im working, I over heard them talking about crushing the cars and I was thinking how stupid it was as I walked over the to the t.v.... saw Bryant....and cracked up!.... he looked soooo cheap and swarmy, apparantly Im not the only one who saw it that way...
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:06 PM

I actually laughed when I read about this, it's just that absurd. I think for his campaign, he should wear clown make-up and a big red nose. Also a jester's cap . . . to show he's a FOOL!
Old June 17th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Anyone who hates dogs , guns and fast cars the way this gut does has something wrong with them.How can this guy expect to get a single vote from any of the male population.
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM
banned user

Thumbs down 'Didn't see this & i'm GLAD! What crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker
I suppose that is why all we have heard about in the past few weeks was "STREET RACING" time and time again .
I can hear the little freak now "street racing is banned banned banned in Ontario". Like it wasn't already . Just that now it is headlines so guess who is beginning another "grandstanding" campaign and get some free press for what Harper is doing. Riding on the coat tails of the Feds that he campaigned against a few months ago is not likely to work and I hope people start to see how shallow this guy really is .
Why doesn't he quit politics & open an appliance store? (but that might make him feel like a "NOooooooooo Body"!
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

So true. Everybody is laughing.

A message for Michael Bryant.

You know how you like to walk around the legislature feeling like the king of the world? Try this for a day or two instead. When you walk past somebody talking to another person, say hi. Take two more steps and spin back around. You see that smirk on their faces that they try and hide – that’s one of them telling the other you are a moron, and the other agreeing. Try it.

That’s the kind of spin you really need to see.