Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Advice about aggression in Kennels

We took simba to the kennels and was suprised to here that he growled and wouldnt break eye contact. So he was not walked grommed or allowed to play with the other dogs

It was a kennels that was recommened and a accredited kennels but because he growled he was left obvioulsly he was fed and watered.

They said he wasnt a subvisive dog that we should persue training he has gone to trainint puppy training hes a year old now.

I have 3 children whom hes extremley friendly with hes good everywere with us this is the first time hes every growled

we are shocked anyone got any ideas and suggestions please
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Some dogs are very aggressive and defensive inside kennels or crates, and show this behavior nowhere else.

If your dog has never done this before and is always friendly and nice outside a kennel, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM

thanks they just made me worry saying we needed to do something about him

He has been to dog training and obidence he is very obident and extremly friendly

The vet can do anything to him so can my children

thanks lucky
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Did you leave Simba for a few days? If so and you will need to arrange for 24hour care again for him you might try looking into a few other places. We don't have family so have found a home boarder through our vet and groomer - and she is great, our dog loves her - he also sees her once a week when he goes to socialization for the day and gets an hour walk with her - so relationship is kept going. Our Eskie is not happy when someone knocks at our door and is not keen on the neighbours - not his fault - but I would like to be able to get past them on the street without a bark fest - and we have a behaviourist working with us on this aspect now. But at socialization and when being boarded he is very good - somehow feels that once he goes behind gate at socialization all dogs will be his friend - for sure they all "love" him and this tail - he just wants to be loved so I think he accepts the "attention" he gets from these dogs. They don't hurt him - they just love to play with him. When he is boarded he is one of the boarder's dog's best friends so they take care of each other. But I think what is helping is that in each case the environment is controlled and often the same dogs - and the fact that our vet's office is in same building as groomer who does socialization so he sees these specific people - and the dog boarder/walker often boards the same dogs our Eskie walks with. And the home boarding makes the difference. He would absolutely not being able to cope with a kennel type boarding facility - for example - boarding at the vet's clinic would not be suitable for him. Perhaps Simba would be the same. It is a good idea though to find a place because you never know what will happen in life when you absolutely have to board your dog. Our guy has SA as well but manages to cope.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks

Simba was left sunday he went in fine picked up on Tuesday at 5pm.

I think next time ill ask the person whom we did dog training with she takes some dogs in for stays like a boarding

Yes they were just like the kennels at the vets except they were larger larger runs

Simba has stayed over night once when he was castrated he was fine at the vets but i guess he was still dopy from the drugs to put him to sleep
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM
owned by Tucker

My parents had a GSP and he was abused in a kennel, they were scared of him and same as your dog had grown up with 4 kids and never shown agression. The person that cared for him used a hose to keep him in the back of the kennel so that they could feed, water and clean up after him, needless to say he hated water comming out of a hose after that. Anyways we took him to another kennel another time when we went to England and there was a young girl there that he got along with and they had no problems with him, took him for walks and everything. So I guess it depends on the people there and if your dog gets along with them and if he is happy there. I think it would be a frightening experience for any dog, family drops you off and leaves you, hey are you comming back for me. I'm sure they don't know one day or a week.

I have always gotten someone to come in my home that the dog knows and look after them when I have gone away. I have also taken care of my parents dog here when they go away. I think its less stressful on the dog.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Good idea. My dog has crate phobia so a problem for him. When he had to stay for 3 days at vet's with a virus they said it was heartbreaking as he accepted his fate. Our Eskie is the first dog we have ever boarded in over 30years of marriage. I went to Italy a few times alone during past 10 years (now my husband comes with me - funny I had a better time alone!). I just couldn't board our mini Dachshunds, not with their back problems and I am sure I had SA from them. But we knew it had to be different this time around. It is more expensive of course for home boarding - and for sure there are horror stories out their re home boarders as well - but mine is good. If you are in Toronto I could give you her contact info.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Our dog is crated at night so hes used to a crate

I know our trainer we used sometimes boards them next time ill look around and maybe take him there first or try to get someone in

thanks