Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old January 5th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Casper and his soother.LOL

I couldn't resist posting this pic.LOL
Attached Images

Old January 5th, 2004, 09:00 AM

OOOOOH mona b!! That is just too CUTE!!

How is the training going? Any luck so far?
Murph's Mom
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Murph's Mom.It's getting a bit better.But he is quite the biter.And I mean he really bites.You could be sitting on the couch,he will stalk you and attack you.He will grab a hold of your arm and start biting.Or when you hold him,he will be fine.Then he attacks you.Man het gets a good hold of you.When he does that we put him down and and give him his stuffed duckie.We never pull away from him.What the vet suggested what to slightly sqeeze his cheeks together,sort of like having him bite himself.It does work.But only for a bit.Or when he is biting we blow in his face gently.Makes matters worse.I tell you,it is a challenge.And ideas how to stop this?I really need help with this.
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Casper is just precious! Yes, kittens can bite surprisingly hard, can't they?

I have a foster kittten here who is about 12 weeks old and semi-feral and she bites HARD.

Never ever play with your kitten with your hands. Always use a toy on a string or stick.

When your kitten bites, freeze and say a SHARP "AH AH!!" The kitten will let go. You can then either gently stroke him to calm him, or toss one of his toys for him to play with.

As long as you never play with him with your hands, he will grow out of this stage and stop biting.
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you L.R....Well we can't say anything to him.He is deaf....We adopted him when he was 2 months old.He is 4 months old.We never play with him with our hands.He has tons of toys.Especially his stuffed duckie.Anytime he starts to attack and bite us,we give him his duckie.We do everything we can to re direct him.It works for a while,then he starts again.We play with him alot.We have a ball that lights up when he knocks it around.He loves that.We also had a stick with a toy on it.We have tried everything we can think of to stop him fron this habit.Forget about a spray bottle,he love the water.Heck he will join you in the shower or tub.Go figure.LOL...Other then this,he is very loving.Licks you to no end.I have had cats as kitten and never had this type of problem.I have a 2 year old calico,and Phoenix was never like this.Here is a pic of Phoenix.She is under Casper cause daughter downloaded the pic and put it in his file.
Attached Images

Old January 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ahh now that is a cutie pie if I ever saw one
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Luba

He's a cutie just like me..... .....LOL
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh the little booger is deaf! We just got a white, blue-eyed in our rescue and she is deaf as well. The owners got tired of her.....

Anyway, deafness in cats is not as bad as in dogs, cause cats never listen to us anyway!

You can try things like a penlight flashlight to signal him and get his attention, and even deaf animals can often feel the vibrations from a sharp handclap. Tapping on the floor is another way to signal deaf animals, who can often get defensive if you approach and touch them and they don't see you.

Thanks for adopting this little guy. Phoenix is beautiful BTW.
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you.And thank you for the suggestions.It's just this biting.How do we stop this?He could be laying on one of us or holding him.He's ok for a bit,them BAM,he attacks.He has been doing this for a little over a month.And he's biting harder.Hubby threatens to bite him back.I told him he does that and he's out the door.LOL...I know he's only joking.It's this biting.We have to stop it.Like I have mentioned before,he is loving.But then turns into Cujo.
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Mona b ... the biting thing will stop, honest.

There are two things you can do. The first is WHILE it is happening...the minute she bites you tap the end of her nose and do one of two things, either pick her up and put her on the floor or if you choose pick her up and put her in another room where you are not. You know kind of like we do with our children...scold them and remove them from the situation. Give Casper a tap and a time out of your choice.

The second thing that will help is to get her cat treats that are CRUNCHY! She has a need to feel someting in her teeth and this will help with it. Also don't be afraid to treat her like a dog. Get her a small soft Nylabone, the ones made of softer rubber and be sure she knows this is her biting toy, not you.

And as usual LR is right, Casper WILL outgrow this! You just need to find a way to make it to that time!
Murph's Mom
Old January 5th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Well we have tapped him on his nose.And guess what,the ears go back and BAM the attack continues.I think We will continue to give him a time out.We were doing that.I know,we shouldn't have stopped ....That's what I was going to ask you about.The bone.So I can give Casper one?Can I give him a Dentabone or no?I tell you, Casper is one tough cookie.Stubbern as all heck.LOL.Thank you.I need all the help I can get here.I pray the biting stops.Casper is a sweetie though.
Old January 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Well, you're a tough cookie mona b so I guess it's only fitting that so is Casper!

I wouldn't suggest using a Dentabone only because if Casper gets a piece off of it she may choke. If you're thinking of the Dentabone because of HOW much she likes to chew and you figure a soft bone may not do it then go for the hard Nylabone. The are no pieces to come off so she should be okay.

You can wet the bone and roll it in fresh catnip to get her attention! You can do this with the every so often to refresh the smell!
Murph's Mom
Old January 5th, 2004, 07:36 PM

mona_b that is an awesome pic. I love it.
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you daisy.

And thank you Murph's Mom....I will get the Nylabone.And thank you so very much for that suggestion.

L.R..Alot of people have said that I should have taken Casper back.There is no way we were going to do that.Casper is apart of our family.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Unhappy biting cat

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've been reading the solutions given to you about your biting cat.

I adopted a cat end of January, and from day one, this cat has been biting us. I'm his main victim, as I am at home with him most of the time. At the end of two months, we were so freaked out and upset that I amost returned him to the pound. But after being bitten so many times, what's a few more!!

And it's not brushing him too long, I know when to stop. Sometimes just out of the blue, he'll bite you.

I was just bitten again this morning, for no reason. I feed him a mix of dry and canned food. I've just tried a new can food from the nutrition shop, and he really LOVES it. So maybe he was frustrated that I didn't give him more!

I might try that Nylabone and see what happens.