Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayeddog
I tell him "Let go" but he ignores me, and obviously when I'm running I can't correct him.

After a while I stop giving a command that I can't enforce ... but is there any way to stop him from pulling on the leash when we run?
So, do I understand correctly that you're trying to teach a new command while you're out jogging? I think this is probably setting yourself up for failure. You should probably teach him the 'leave it' and 'off' commands while you're at home or at obedience class, in a controlled environment. Only when he is reliable at home should you introduce distractions, such as training him outdoors, with other dogs and/or children around and, eventually, while you're jogging. Then again, that's just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
So, do I understand correctly that you're trying to teach a new command while you're out jogging?
Hmmm, no.

"Let go" is a command Matty knows, and like I said, when I'm not running, if he happens to be biting the leash, he'll drop the leash when I give the command.

But when we're running, he bites the leash and pulls it. And of course, when I'm running, I can't enforce it.
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I (still) think alot of the problem is just Matty's age. He's a young lab. No doubt young labs are very rambunctious! (I know, I've said that about 100x to you by now....)

more constructive advice... Have you tried catching Matty BEFORE he gets the leash? For example... I'll run (a short distance) w/ my dog and he'll bite & TUG at the leash, just as Matty is doing. BUT, as soon as I see him going for the leash, I let out a VERY STERN "AHHHT.. AHHT!" Tucker looks up at me like "oh, ok, that's a no no."

Tucker displayed this appauling behavior once at dog school. My trainer literally YANKED the leash right outa his mouth. he did this about 3x. Tucker did not attempt it again w/ my trainer. obviously, use caution. don't injure Matty's mouth, don't instigate a "tug of war", but at the same time, make it clear the leash doesn't belong there.

Also, remember you just started jogging w/ Matty. It'll take a little bit for him to learn the jogging rules. Perhaps start by running a short distance, then walking (to reinforce the rules), then jogging, then walking (again, reinforce), etc... granted, I'm sure this not how you prefer to do your running, but it may help Matty grasp the concept that the leash isn't a toy.
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Performance Spaniels

When I jog.. there isn't enough leash to bite it unless the dog turned around backwards to try..

If it is a huge issue, get a leash of chain so the dog won't want to bite it.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM

What kind of leash is it? Maybe he wouldn't try to grab a chain leash?

Since Bitter Apple doesn't work, maybe lemon juice? I'm not sure if dogs like it, but I know cats usually hate citrus.

~LM~
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM

This is just my opinion but I would think that the noise of a chain leash jangling while you run would be annoying for him which might cause him to want even more to bite it.

I like the idea of trying to catch him before he grabs it though.

It also sounds like he's testing you, making sure that forbiden things are still forbiden. He's not necessarily trying to become the pack leader though, just seeing where he stands, I think...
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I figure it's not a huge issue so I've resolved to just ignore him and let him bite the leash while we run. I find that when I give him more leash, he doesn't pull it ... it's only when he got little leash that he'll try to pull it. Maybe it's constantly tugging him and he doesn't like it? I am not sure.

But like jessi said, I pick my battle. As long as I tell him "Let go" whenever I take a break (and catch my breath) and he'd drop the leash (which he does) I'll just let him.

Matty seems to be better the last couple of days ... I sure hope it's sign that he's turning around and not sign of upset stomach again ...

SD
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayeddog
And of course, when I'm running, I can't enforce it.
Why not? Even if it involves stopping for a couple of seconds, is it that much of an interferance?
My parents dog, and the rest of her litter was trained by the breeder to carry their leashes around by themselves so that they wouldn't drag in the mud (they are belgians, and they did both showing and sheparding). My parents dog still grabs for her leash (she is almost 9 now). The biggest problem was that she used to chew through her leashes while she was holding them. This leash holding also lead to a dependence on her leash. She hates being off leash, and you can only let her run free if her leash is attached to her, and she carries it in her mouth.

I would be wary of letting Matty continuing on with carrying his leash as it can progress into further problems.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly
It also sounds like he's testing you, making sure that forbiden things are still forbiden. He's not necessarily trying to become the pack leader though, just seeing where he stands, I think...
I was re-thinking this statement yesterday as Charley was desperately trying to tip over the laundry basket or get into the litter boxes every time I turned around... I didn't have time to take him for a walk because I was packing for this week-ends camping trip and my boyfriend's dog wasn't available for him to play with... He wasn't trying to test me, he was just bored and full of energy.

Here's hoping its the exercise and not his tummy!