Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM

Question Ear wax build up

[EMAIL=jfbd4@cabletv.on.ca]
My Chocolate lab has waxy build up ihn his ears, dark brownish wet stuff. It's not infection, I've used q tips and kleenix to try and keep them clear. I would like any ideas for a solution/cure other than surgery.
Thanks.
John
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Question.What makes you think it's not an infection?Is that what the vet said?
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

If they don't smell and he's not acting like the bother him - scratching, tilting his head, etc, it's probably yeast buildup. Some dogs are more prone to it than others, certain foods can make it worse - and it can turn into an infection. Cleaning the outside of the ear canal with qtips is fine but doesn't get it down in the ear, where it matters.

You can buy Oticlens or similar products to maintain good pH and keep the ears clean. Or you can do what I do (vet approved) and use a tepid mix of 50/50 vinegar and water. It also maintains proper pH so yeast is less likley to grow.

Using a turkey baster or syringe, gently fill his ear up with this...don't squirt it down, that may hurt. Massage his ears for a bit, you should hear a squishy sound. Let him shake his head, then swab out the parts of his ears you can see. Do this outside if possible!! If there's a lot of gunk in his ears, it will get all over your walls when he shakes his head! At first you might want to do this every few days for a couple weeks, then once a month or so as maintenance.

If there's an odor from his ears, or they're bothering him, have the vet take a look first. There's a chance it could also be ear mites, which will need stuff from the vet.
Old December 31st, 2003, 05:22 PM

I've gone thru all this with the vet a few years ago, it's the yeast build up that reoccurs. The best solution was the water vinegar one which I've used before but could not remember how to mix so I've using about 90 water 10 vinegar which seems to work a little, but I new it wasn't correct.
This isn't a constant thing with his ears, in fact it was about 2 years since this has happened, and it's no fun for the brown boy.
I thank you and so does Riley(brown boy).