Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old May 12th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Pit Bull Puppies

I know that because of the BSL that came into effect a few months ago, any puppy of the pit bull type born within the last few months is not allowed to stay in Ontario. But, I also know that there exists people who don't care and will still breed them and sell them in order to make money with no regard for the puppies' future. I'm strongly against this stupid law but unfortunately it is the law and it will be the animals that will pay for these people's ignorance and greed since they have no regard for what happens to them once they receive their money and the pups are with new owners.

My question is about these puppies and vet care. All puppies require to have the series of vaccinations, but if they were born illegally, what happens if they are taken to a vet in Ontario? Will the vet turn them in or will they keep quiet and treat them? I know there are people who are afraid to take their dogs to the vet in case they are taken away from them and pts.

I love the bully breeds, always have. I hate to think that because of this law that I will not be able to own one someday. I also fear for all the other breeds that are now at risk as well and what this could mean to the animal loving world.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

The majority of vets are against the pit bull ban, I am not sure if they have a legal requirement to report
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Around here I know of a few people who have purchased them and managed to "smuggle" them in, there are still alot for sale in the local want ads.
I think this new legislation is going to be REALLY hard to enforce. I have even seen quite a few in Sudbury that were not muzzled, one is like the mascot of a gas station and greets all the customers. They havent been bothered.
Didnt England (Britan) try this a long time ago and it didnt work out? BSL is way to hard to be enforced, I hope they drop this soon and perhaps it will deter the " wrong" people from getting these dogs in the future. I know that if i were a drug dealer the last thing i would want is a pitbull now to draw attention to me.
Just a thought
Im hoping that this stupid law gets beaten, it discrimatory in my opinion
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I've seen quite a few unmuzzled. I also hope that it is beaten soon. I did call up a vet clinic and asked them what would happen if a 2 or 3 month old pit bull puppy was brought in. They said that as far as they know, they have to follow patient confidentiality and are not obligated by law to report them. They haven't been given any instructions on what to do regarding BSL.
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I have seen tons of them unmuzzled. Mean while the AG says that the cities don't need more money to enforce this because people are law abiding. So now from the mouth of the Attorney General himself we all don't have to worry b/c once they make laws people just follow them. I wonder what those big huge buildings with bars on the windows are for?

Ok sorry back to puppies. I think it would be a confidentiality issue and I doubt any vet would go out of their way.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I live in Sudbury and yes people do ignore the muzzle law. Well kind of. I saw this guy walking his pit with the muzzle hanging around it's neck. Poor baby...
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

People ignore the law in Toronto too. We do our best to warn them but some people really dont believe that the consequences can be so dire, or worse, they dont care
I was thinking about the responsibility fo the vet to report though, I doubt if there is any, especially considering that the Ontario Vet Assosciation as far as I know has taken the position that it is best left ot the owner of a dog to determine its breed so whoes to say if the pups ar pits or not? It seems to me that it all still goes back to that. Hopefully the pups would be given whatever medical care they need.