Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old May 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Little Dotty D

Dot was six and lived a happy, healthy life. She was generally healthy, but last week that all changed. The vet said her lungs were filled with fluid. Long story short Dot had cancer. She gave no warnings except for the past week. The vet phoned yesterday and said Dot had a 50/50 shot of lasting the night. If she did last she wasn't strong enough for chemo. I went to the vet. Held Dotty in my arms, cried, said my peace. She purred and seemed to know I was there, but before the vet could put the needle in her leg she died peacefully in my arms.

She had no symptoms and by the time she did there was nothing anyone could do. I have a few acres and put her next to a stream and a small waterfall. She will be missed and my heart is aching. I hope she's at rainbow bridge waiting for me. I hope I gave her the best life she could have. Even though it was short I have many memories.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Little Dotty D

I am so very sorry for your loss. I am in tears over this and I feel your pain. How lucky you are to own acres of land that have a stream and a waterfall where you could lay your sweet angel to rest. It sounds like a beautiful place and she was very lucky to have you. Just remember, she's not really gone, she's just away, watching over you. Please take care.
Mahealani
P.S. Do you have any pictures of her?
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Thank you so much for your words. This is truely painful. I'm doing my best to get through the day.

I feel guilt as well. Dot and I moved from PA to Ohio in january. She loved the new place. It's secluded and deer and turkey run through the yard. She would spend hours watching them. However, in feb I received the reminder for her yearly exam. I put it off. I put it off because of stupid stuff. I had to get an ohio drivers license, I had to get utilities, I had to get new insurance -- all the burdonsome tasks that go along with moving.

If I didn't put it off perhaps the cancer would have been caught and she would be strong enough for treatment. She would still be watching deer and flying around the house. I always scheduled that appointment when I received the reminder. But not this time.

I shouldn't beat myself up but I'm playing the what if game. Perhaps it's easier to blame myself than fate. How could fate take her so quickly from me with no notice?

The photo I have at work is too large to upload. I tried to shrink it, but it gave me too much trouble. I have a lot at home and I'll try and put one up later.

Thanks again for your words and if you are reading this listening to me going through the grieving cycles.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about Dot passing,we all say what if,even though sometimes we know,nothing could have saved our much loved cats/dogs.
In a way,it was better for Dot to leave this way,chemo and other treatments,might just have prolonged her agony,but with the same result.
Lungcancer in a little cat,is very serious and I would think almost always fatal.
I am not a vet,so of course I don't know for sure,but please don't beat yourself up over this,Dot would not want you to.
She knows you loved her and she'll be waiting for you
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

for your loss. Chase butterflies to the bridge baby.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Milo....aw those eyes!

I'm so sorry. I too lost my baby Milo and in my time of grief I found this website. There's a Monday night candle ceremony to pray for all the pets who have enter Rainbow Bridge.
http://rainbowsbridge.com/
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Little Dot died knowing she was loved and in your arms. She had a short life, but it was a rich one, thanks to you. I wish I could help your pain.