Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 28th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Puppy food question

Hello,

I have a 5 month old Boxer who is presently eating Iams Lamb and Rice Puppy food. He started out on the Iams Regular Puppy (chicken based) but he had bad gas so I switched him.

We went to the inlaws overnight during the holidays and brought the dog with us. They have a Visla and feed it Old Roy soft food and some no name kibble. My dog preferred that over his own Iams.

Has anyone else seen Iams to be less palatable than other foods? He eats it but not with the gusto that he ate the "crap" food lol...

Any suggestions on something that tastes better but is still good for the dog (no raw meat pls...don't need my toddler eating it!!)

Thanks,
Burt
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Iams is crap food, though certainly not as crappy as Old Roy! Many crappy foods are preferred by dogs because of all the fats & flavourants sprayed on the chunks; they certainly wouldn't eat the stuff otherwise.

How about Canidae? It is an excellent kibble - whole grains (rather than leftovers), no corn, human grade meats and no known carcinogens as preservatives.

Here's an excellent site, the best all 'round site for dog feeding info:
http://www.bowchow.com/dogfeeding.html
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:17 PM

LOL, all my friends think I am rich feeding my dog Iams (they all feed who knows what).
I will check out this Canidae, but its a shame they don't have a specific puppy formulation as my vet suggested to feed puppy food for the first year. I will have to ask her.

Thanks,
Burt
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

There's dissent, but most very knowlegable people consider puppy formulas to be a marketing ploy designed to hook people into brand loyalty right from the start...a view which I share, BTW.

Iams/Euk used to be a somewhat better kibble. But Proctor & Gamble took it over in the mid 90s, changed the formula, and moved it into supermarkets for larger sales. Science Diet isn't any better...read some of the links in that site so you can educate yourself a bit on how to understand ingredient lists. And realise that a better food = less amounts of it needed, and quite often fewer skin & dental problems too. So it's not necessarily more expensive in the long run...

Good luck with your pup!