Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
<-----nut ball

6 Degrees of Separation

THey say you are 6 degrees of separation away from everyone in the world. I can see that for me.

I am 4 degrees of separation from Queen Elizabeth. (my friends' father went to school with and is friends with Prince Charles).

I am 4 degrees of separation from most of Hollywood:

A friend of mine walked in on Halle Barry half naked in a hotel once. It was when she was married to David Justice, and he was in Toronto for a baseball game. My friend was friends with a Jays player at the time, and...well.. Mr. Justice invited a bunch of people back to the hotel for a party, and she was there to surprise him!! Aparently they had a good time laughing about it that night, and sometimes they get together in TOronto still. Also, the same friend works at the ROM (where I used to work) and Cory Haim's sister works there!

Once Silken Laumen (sp) asked me for directions when I worked at the Royal York Hotel. I had a nice conversation with Bill Pullman once there too.

The Barenaked Ladies went to my highschool. THey did a free concert for us in Grade 9 - before they even made the Gordon CD. My friend actually lives in Stephen Pages old house! I have an autographed copy of their first "tape" (which I just found out of wikipedia is VERY rare). I can't remember if it is stephen or ed's wife, but one of them taught me flute lessons in high school. They did a free "gig" at my friend's b-day party YEARS ago, because one of them rented an apartment from her mother!

Anyone else have any "neat" connections? Oh yeah, another friend of mine is the neice of the president of the philipines!
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM

I do regular business with someone whose sister is dating Elton John's new husband's brother. How many degrees is that??

That's about it for me, I think. How dull!

Oh, wait! There's one more! My cousin's wife is the cousin of one of the Barenaked Ladies (one of the lead singers - not the one with the glasses - I don't know their names, sorry). But she hated him growing up, so they never spent any time together. He probably wouldn't recognize her if they passed in the street these days.
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:20 PM

My brother smart a**ed John Travolta...

Jeremy Irons sat behind me on a plane- pretty terrifying...
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband's cousin is Colin James.
David Suzuki is my highschool gym teacher's cousin
Avril Lavigne walked behind me along Bloor St in TO.
My husband was friends with Gordon Downie's cousin in highschool
I think the drummer from Barenaked Ladies lives in my neighbourhood

Lots of cousins in my degrees.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I wish I was joking, but I'm 2 degrees from Kevin Bacon. My best friend Melissa is a club promoter and she booked the Bacon Brothers band there outside of Philly a few weeks ago. Sent me the pic and I about died. I'm one degree from America's Oldest Brewery (my mother is a Yingling - we no longer spell it old country style) and have met Ashley Judd (who is just so cool in person I can't describe).

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I can play the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game and connect myself.

I was in an infomercial with Marilu Henner, who was in "Tale of the Allergists Wife" with Richard Kind who was in "Mad About You" with Helen Hunt, who was in "As Good As It Gets" with Jack Nicholson, who was in "A Few Good Men" with KEVIN BACON ! And that's only 5 degrees, but you have to be willing to count an infomercial.

I've met Rhea Perlman and Richard Kind, the ladies on The View, and Joan Rivers. And Regis Philbin at a book signing. He was great and really nice to my kids, who were young at the time. And Malachy McCourt at a book signing who was so nice and so much fun that we hated to leave. And I saw his brother Frank in a hotel in Boston and we said hi to him just before he got on the elevator. Polite but much more quiet than his brother.

I've seen in public, but have not approached, Phil Rizzuto, Edie Adams and Edward Albee. Oh and the guy from All My Children, the tall guy who plays Jackson. I can't remember his name, but I bumped into him on the dance floor at a restaurant in NY once. Oh and I literally ran into, (like crashed into each other because both of us were walking and talking and not paying attention) Rita Wilson in Boston, in front of the theatre where she and her husband were producing a play. That's how I was certain it was her, besides the fact that she looks exactly the same in real life, except she has a softer look when she's not made up and she's much smaller than I would have imagined. And very polite.

That's it--that's all I've got until my daughter becomes famous. I'll be back when she graduates and makes the big time !
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawert1
...have met Ashley Judd (who is just so cool in person I can't describe).
I love her! She's great.

I forgot, I took an elevator with Paul Martin once (who? lol)... He didn't say anything... Loonnnng ride.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
...have met Ashley Judd (who is just so cool in person I can't describe).
Ashley Judd grabbed my friend's a$$ at a party once. My friend's a girl btw.
I did Cyndi Lauper's makeup when she was on tour with Cher last. That was cool! I got to ride on the tour bus! I did make up for the Aviator too but not for the big actors. On set I did see Leonardo Di Caprio, Martin Scorsese, Alan Alda and ate in craft services with John C O'Reily hehehe. Elisha Cuthbert is my cousin's best friend and she went to my high school. Through her my cousin has met some celebrities and has some freaky stories, lol. But that's as close as I get. Oh well..hehe
BoxerRescueQuebec.com

Last edited by BoxerRescueMTL; April 28th, 2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM

I was thinking eh, I went to school with BoxerRescueMTL's man's old band's drummer... He was in my class in grade 9... Does that count? They were celebrities of the West Island...

I don't know anybody...
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Jawert---you're a Yuengling ??? My brother is friends with Dick Yuengling. My family is from Pottsville. My mother lives down the street from the brewery, practically. Is your family from Pottsville? They would know mine probably. My mother was born there, my father grew up there, and my brother still lives there. (He's not a shy man and he's very active in the community. )

We were out to dinner with some friends a few weeks ago and the husband ordered a Yuengling and asked if we'd ever tried it. We laughed. I told my brother that story and he said "Next time just tell him that our baby bottles probably had Yuenglings in them."

Small world !!!
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
I was thinking eh, I went to school with BoxerRescueMTL's man's old band's drummer... He was in my class in grade 9... Does that count? They were celebrities of the West Island...
Well if we're counting West Island celebrities LOL ......
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama
Jawert---you're a Yuengling ??? My brother is friends with Dick Yuengling. My family is from Pottsville. My mother lives down the street from the brewery, practically. Is your family from Pottsville? They would know mine probably. My mother was born there, my father grew up there, and my brother still lives there. (He's not a shy man and he's very active in the community. )
Where's Pottsville? Apparently there's a Potts Island in Ontario somewhere named after my ancestors...
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Performance Spaniels

I'm with Prin I have nothing cool to add to this
I'm a dork.
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Boss-lady!

If we get to count politicians, I was going between classes during the Ontario election campaign leading up to the NDP being elected and saw Bob Rae and his handlers. There had just been a Q&A session that didn't go well for Bob-he was quite irate with the questions asked. So, in the presence of roughly 500 students, he loudly exclaimed "What do they know anyway? They're only students!". Dead silence. He didn't even have the grace to look embarassed, either. That's my brush with "greatness".

Oh, and on my Mom's side, I'm related to both the Ganong chocolate family and to Laura Secord....too bad I can't get free chocolates out of the deal!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad

Last edited by Skryker; April 29th, 2006 at 03:38 AM.
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:21 AM

Oh, you had me until the "Too bad" part...
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Not-so-senior member

I got nothin'. However, Bill Pullman's hometown is where I do all my day to day grocery shopping and stuff. Everybody seems to know him except me, so I guess that puts me 2 degrees from Bill.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin, did your ancestors move south when they tired of Potts Island? Pottsville is a coal mining town in Pennsylvania. My father and grandfather were coal miners. I can't sing like Loretta Lynn but I can say "I'm a coal miner's daughter !!" like the song say.
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Oh, well, if we're talking politicians - my best friend's sister was the Liberal Attaché for Paul Martin when he first became MP for LaSalle.

If you want to talk local celebs, I have a slight connection with Jonas (actually, his guitarist, Corey). The Montrealers will know who I'm talking about.

And my father will tell anyone who'll listen that we're directly descended from Italian royalty - his great grandfather's family were Dukes or Barons or something along those lines, but he (the great grandfather) was disowned when he fell in love with and married a peasant girl from a nearby village. Great. I could have been rich if it weren't for 'love'. Stupid 'love'.
Old April 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Coopers mom

where I work I have customers who are in the hockey hall of fame....
I met and got cds signed of the nothern pikes a few years back at bourban west.
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
I'm with Prin I have nothing cool to add to this
I'm a dork.
I'm a dork too! I'm so boring and pathetic.

As for Yuengling, that is my favorite beer. I guess the closest I can get is that I'm from Pennsylvania -- outside Philadelphia to be exact so it's about 3 hours south of Pottsville and I've never been to the brewery. I'm such a pathetic soul!
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:26 AM
<-----nut ball

Oh My!! Lots of close relations here!

Hehe.

I almost forgot, my friend made out with Keanu Reeves once in Montreal. He was there for a film, and my class was there for a trip in Gr. 12. I wasn't there, but they saw on the set, hung out, missed curfew, and went to his tourbus. The teacher chaparons were none to happy!

Oh, and I was friends in highschool with the Toronto Cheif of Police Bill Blair's kids. We lost touch a few years ago though. Once in high school they were away on vacation and we snuck into their backyard and went in their pool!! They would often joke that their dad was such a hard a$$ that he would check them for track marks sometimes!

My boyfriend used to do laundry at the same laundry mat as David Suzuki in toronto.
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
If you want to talk local celebs, I have a slight connection with Jonas (actually, his guitarist, Corey). The Montrealers will know who I'm talking about.
Small world! Jonas was the singer in my b/f's band until a couple years ago, and his best friend throughout highschool.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRescueMTL
Small world! Jonas was the singer in my b/f's band until a couple years ago, and his best friend throughout highschool.
LOL! My brother played bass with Corey until a few years ago, and has been his good friend for a as long as I can remember (although I think they met after high school). It really is a small world!
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Quote:

LOL! My brother played bass with Corey until a few years ago, and has been his good friend for a as long as I can remember (although I think they met after high school). It really is a small world!
Haha!!! So how many degrees are we from eachother then? Lol..
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama
Prin, did your ancestors move south when they tired of Potts Island? Pottsville is a coal mining town in Pennsylvania. My father and grandfather were coal miners. I can't sing like Loretta Lynn but I can say "I'm a coal miner's daughter !!" like the song say.
oh... lol... They did move south, but only to Albany...

Hmm. I still can't think of any other celebs I've met- other than pro snowboarders... Do they count?
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Hmm. I still can't think of any other celebs I've met- other than pro snowboarders... Do they count?
Of course they do! C'mon, dish!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Considering I'm a bit of a right wing guy you'll find this kind of amusing . . . . . I've had coffee with Ed Broadbent, had a private chit chat with a sandwich gorging Bob Rae and sat next to a soon-to-be Prime Minister Jean Chretien (holy bad breath Batman) at a Liberal fund raiser in Calgary I was hornswaggled into going to. Former Alberta premier Peter Lougheed amazed me for a number of years by remembering my name in our infrequent encounters . . . . . until I was told he had a particular talent for exactly that sort of thing, probably one reason he was so monstrously successful.

Mrs. C and I were sitting at Coogies in Malibu a few years ago minding our own business when John Cusak and that crazy doctor guy from Scrubs sat down one table over and had breakfast.

Ran across a very dandily dressed - peach shirt, yellow pants I think - Dick Clark traipsing through LAX.

Other stuff too but my memory ain't what it used to be.

As far as my relatives are concerned . . . . . well, a number of them have been in jail . . . . . but my grandfather on the "good side" of the family was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and Military Cross in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace . . . . . he had also toured the King around the battlefield of Belinglise, France near the end of WWI.

I'd trade all that in for Ashley Judd grabbing my ass. No doubt about it.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Mrs. C and I were sitting at Coogies in Malibu a few years ago minding our own business when John Cusak and that crazy doctor guy from Scrubs sat down one table over and had breakfast.
John Cusack is my all time favorite actor/love of my life. "Say Anything" anyone?!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'd trade all that in for Ashley Judd grabbing my ass. No doubt about it.
That made me laugh out loud !

Ok, now I'm thinking politically. I met Helen Thomas during a luncheon in Washington and brushed past Wolf Blitzer in a restaurant later that same day.

I attended a party last summer where former governor Florio was also a guest.

When I was in college a friend and I met The Minnesota Northstars in an airport. They were cute and polite, and very charming.

OH---my aunt went to Italy a few years back and was doing geneological research at the time and found that we are distant cousins of Salvatore Ferragamo. Not exactly kissing cousins as I can't even translate this into a free pair of shoes.
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Of course they do! C'mon, dish!
Ok... Well, when I wanted to go pro, I went to a half pipe camp where I basically had 19 pro coaches. All the veteran snowboarders: Allan Clarke was the head coach, Victoria Jealouse was there, Tucker Fransen..hmm... Who else... There were so many, it was overwhelming. It was the best and most expensive week of my life. ($1300+tx plus plane for 6 days). In the end I was "sponsored" a brand new Forum snowboard because I was "most improved, most determined and most enthusiastic". I was pretty close to the level of getting sponsored the following year, but then I broke myself and had to stop.

Plus being in Whistler for a year, I got to meet so many of the local champs.. But nothing is thrilling like meeting the guys from the early 90's and watching them go. Old school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C
If you mean Zach Braff, I think that's my dream table to sit at.