Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 24th, 2003, 12:05 AM

Can my 5 month old Boston Terrier have Asthma?

I have a 5 month old Boston Terreir. I bought him from a local pet store. Ever since i got him he has had these coughing spells. The sound like he is having a asthma attack. Could he possible have asthma? Should I suggest this to his vet? I need your help please. I have already spent over $600.00 in vet bills to figure it out. Someone please help.
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh dear. Most pet store puppies come from puppy mills and are liable to have a host of illnessess and hereditary defects, since no consideration is given to health - money is the only factor involved.

What does the vet say the problem is? After 600$ of treatment or tests, he must have some idea?
Old December 24th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

It could be respiratory infection

vet tripoooola
Old December 24th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, what does the vet say?

I'm a big proponent of getting another vet opinion is the first one can't figure something out. This doesn't seem like it would be a complicated matter. Has he been xrayed? Small dogs are prone to something...collapsing trachea? Or something.

I have a dog with an abnormally narrow trachea. He almost died this time last year from aspirate pneumonia, had to go to the ER & get oxygen & steroids or he would have died quiite quickly. They xrayed him, that's how they found out. I'd be a bit worried about that, ask a vet if it's a possibility. Or maybe something is lodged in his esophogus or throat...?

It surely can't be something as simple as a respiratory infection or persistent kennel cough - any competent vet would figure that out for a WHOLE lot less than $600.00.

If this were my dog, I would be finding another vet for an opinion, sometimes even a good vet can miss something obvious, and sometimes they're incompetent....
Old December 24th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well I would look for a vet that has knowledge in treating dogs with respiratory conditions.

My poor pup had a collapsing and narrowing trach as well as bronchial asthma. It can be terrifying watching them go through this...the asthma brings panic and then the narrowing of the air channels.

I will make a suggestion to you, that ALWAYS worked for my Rusty.

A steaming bowl of hot and strong coffee!

Put a towel over the dogs head, dont' let him drink it, just take in breaths of the coffee fumes under the towel while u stroke his back to calm him. THIS ALWAYS worked for Rusty!!
We used to give him Theodur (sp) but it made him hyper and nuts, the coffee worked 10x better again they just inhale not drink it! It opens the airways..ONLY WORKS if this is ASTHMA related!

IF it is asthma related let me know as I have more info for you regarding getting your dog to use inhalers!

Let me know
Old December 25th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I would think, after spending $600 and still having no answers, I would look for another vet. Don't be surprised if your vet bills go a lot higher though. Puppy mill puppies are usually pretty sickly most of their lives.

Make sure, if you use the coffee suggestion, that the dog does not drink the coffee. Caffeine can be fatal to a dog. Heck, use de-caf!