Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
-

Gasoline Prices

This is cute, check it out:

I can`t afford gasoline....http://www.atomfilms.com/contentPlay...ant_afford_gas

It`s 109.9 per litre in Castlegar, B.C. April 21/06. I wonder if we`ll be paying 1.50 a litre by this summer.

Last edited by rainbow; April 21st, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

it's a dollar twenty-something here on the south shore of Montreal.(I think it was 1,22$ this morning!!)
But, honestly, and I know I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this...and mind you I'm a poor, poor, very broke student...but the fact that gas prices are so high is making research into alternatives (like electric cars and hybrids) go through the roof. People are fed up and are demanding a better, and less costly alternative to fuel. I think this'll be good for our environement in the long run. Just look at all the hybrids coming out --- They're expensive now, but they'll get more affordable as gas prices go through the roof and people start DEMANDING affordable transportation.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

3.50 Here in Maui,i am kinda glad my car isnt here,i ride a bike to work and everywhere else,legs are lookin gooddddddddd
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM

2.49 a gallon in Seattle.... RIP OFF!
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

You know instead of spending billions of dollars sending men to the the mooon and crap lets spend it coming up with a car that needs No gasssssssssssssssssss
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

hehehe heidi, they did, and you're using it so am i actually, i discovered a sickening fact that it's all of 10 miles for me to ride my bike to work from home, but it's 18 miles to drive. go chiqua power! (and very glad to hear you're getting very healthy)

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

It's 109.5 per litre in Calgary . . . . .

It seems to be costing more to fill up the V-8 Durango and V-8 Chrysler 300C vehicles that we bought last October.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

First time i have been back on a bike in over 10 years,and i am hoooked,i love riding my bike.....The only reason i wish i had my car is becasue walmart,target and the good stores are on the other side of the island and he does not like to drive there
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
-

Hey, are prices in Canada are PER LITRE not per Gallon!!! So we`re paying close to $5.00 a gallon.
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Its 1.14 at the pumps in Vernon - thank God I quit my long commute job.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM

I've seen $1.10 per litre for regular in the GTA. It is ridiculous how gas prices keep going up. I wish our salaries would go up at the same rate! It doesn't look like the prices will be coming down anytime soon.

Rick C, you are not alone. It is costing more to fill up the corvette and harley now than a year ago. The price for premium is quite expensive here too. Good thing our daily commuter (4 cylinder sunfire) is much more fuel efficient.

I'm not sure about everywhere else, but one thing that I noticed here in the GTA is that the price of gas tends to be higher in the morning rush hour and then drops slightly in the afternoon. It of course shoots right back up on weekends. I've tried to schedule my fill ups around the times that the price dips slightly.

Not looking good for boating season!
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

i payed a $1.12 yesterday in hudson quebec grrrrrrr
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM

$1.20 or 1.19/L up in Laval... If it doesn't go down before summer, it's likely to hit at least $1.40...

On the bright side: Bring on the small cars! Hopefully, this will bring some of the selection of smaller cars they have already in Europe (I'm still waiting for the Corolla hatchback to come here.. ) and (I know many of you don't like it but) hopefully it'll remove some of the SUVs too.

I have to say though, I'm proud to be in Qc when it comes to cars. I think our average car size is much smaller than most cities in Canada. Sometimes here in traffic, you can see more than 10 cars for every minivan or SUV. Yey!!
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Hey, are prices in Canada are PER LITRE not per Gallon!!! So we`re paying close to $5.00 a gallon.
omg.... I'd have to get a 3rd job.

we're up to 2.91 to 3.10 per gallon here.

I just saw on the news people are pawning their belongings to buy gas. seriously, some people are pawning their CAR RIMS to buy gas.
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:56 PM

The people in Europe must be laughing at us... We're still paying half of what they are, and we moan a gazillion times more...
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:39 PM
Living in Chaos!

About $1.09 here in Clarington. The SUV has not been on the road much this week. I am conserving the gas in my Honda as much as possible. So far so good, 316kms on half a tank.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old April 22nd, 2006, 01:00 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

I wish I could drive a small car! we have 4 kids, a dog and the 2 of us. and if you think gas is hitting you hard, our entire income comes from a truck. You should see how much our desiel bills have risen in the last year!! and you can bet the rates they pay the drivers haven't gone up as much.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

around $1.09 in Toronto...very soon we'll be looking forward for gas in the 0.95-1.05 range and anything less than 0.95 deserves lining up for 1/2 an hour....
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

1.09 here in Belleville, was in Langley BC last week it was 1.16.

Hubby has a business and spends about 400.00 a week just on fuel for the vans and trucks, he has had to put his prices up just to recover some of the money for fuel
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
The people in Europe must be laughing at us... We're still paying half of what they are, and we moan a gazillion times more...
Here's a neat chart . . . . . go to the bottom of the page to see the latest comparisons around the world . . . .

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html

For further comparison, rendered to USA dollars, $1.095 CDN per litre is, I believe, about $3.62 USA in a USA gallon.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_pr...t.aspx?time=24

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:39 PM

I live on the Quebec side and gas is $114.9......cross over to Ontario to work and it is only $1.06.9. I drive a sebring convertible and last time it cost me close to $60 to fill it!!! I wish I still had my tercel!!!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM

I don't know where in the US it's 2.99 but I want to go there. lol. it's 3.45 a gallon here.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

The cheapest one (87 octane) is $2.91 here. I haven't chimed in on this because I'm extremely fortunate. I have a company car and a company gas card, but I am very sympathetic to everyone. I've seen how much money Jim dumps into his car which is why I usually tell him we are taking mine. I seriously wouldn't be able to afford to go to work if I had to put the money out everyone else is. I truly truly sympathize. Hopefully it'll come back down in the next couple of years. I don't think we have any hope in the near future though. :sad:
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C
Here's a neat chart . . . . . go to the bottom of the page to see the latest comparisons around the world . . . .

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html
Wow, eh? Some are paying almost $7 US/gallon. I don't complain much (except for the initial gasp when I see the price in the morning), but I'll try to complain even less. All in all, Canada is still generally a pretty cheap place to live.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,gasprices are like death and taxes not a darn thing we can do about it,no use getting upset..just pay up!
Unfortunately riding a bike to go anywhere is not an option for me,I would love a Vespa,but where do I put my groceries or my IKEA-stuff
Our Jeep is resting for now,but just yesterday we picked up new patio-furniture and had to make 2 trips with the Jeep to get it home,6 chairs+table,still cheaper than delivery-charge
It's a good thing we have a second more gas-friendly car,for whipping around town,but the SUV has been a godsend on many occasions,especially in this put-it-together-yourself era!!
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

FYI . . . a good article below on global gasoline price comparisons and why some countries are higher than the USA and some are lower.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12452503/

On another note, its amusing to observe that while we're worried about Iran cutting off its oil supply or choking off the Persian Gulf, that country actually has gasoline rationing in effect and recently tightened those restrictive measures.

Iran produces a lot of oil but has very little refining capacity.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I do not bother complaining, it really does no good, but I have been driving alot less now....
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Lol, yesterday I filled up the van and was expecting it to click around $45, I made it over $70. Hadn't paid any attention to the price until that point. sigh
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
-

Quote:
FYI . . . a good article below on global gasoline price comparisons and why some countries are higher than the USA and some are lower.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12452503/
Rick...you beat me to it. I was going to post the same article.

Gawd, if Venezuela wasn`t such a scary place, I think I`d move there. It`s the damn taxes in Canada that screws us.
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Just wish i would have taken this into consideration last year before dumping a ton of money upgrading a V6 Firebird to a 305 Camaro I was figuring that now that i was 25 I could afford insurance!!!
That car ended up being one of the worst moves I ever made!!!!! Instead of a trip into Sudbury (45 minutes ) and back costing little over $10 in gas, it now will run me easily upto $20 !!! I swear it costs $5 to start it!!!!
I am truely thankful that my profession doenst require me to drive a truck or haul a trailer!!! But as many have said before me on this thread we are just gonna have to get used to it, and for me sadly... My dream car is put on hold again (take it off the road for a few years) Too rediculous to keep it insured and drive it with the price of everything. For now atleast!!!