Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old April 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
-

TROLL Alert

It may be my imagination here but there seem to be an increasing number of posts by new members which are deliberately provocative and/or inflammatory on subjects which are potentially explosive. I'm wondering if these new members may be "trolls" looking to stir up trouble rather than engage in spirited debate or an honest exchange of opinions. I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to alert other members before they get "trolled" in to the discussion and the best way to alert Mods to review the thread ASAP and intervene. A special Troll button? Use the Troll emoticon ?
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM

There's a little red exclamation mark in the top right hand corner of the message box, for you to report bad posts to the mods. I think the mods do an excellent job warning and sometimes locking posts that are incendiary. Although, the emoticon idea isn't bad... as a newbie I wouldn't have known what that meant.
However, what if people seriously have a strong belief that is different than that of the majority here? Is it fair to blacklist them?
What gets me is when you try and answer and it's not what they want to hear so they are rude back.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I definitely agree about there being a ton of trolls. I only saw that icon on the threads when White Wolf posted the reminder about reporting posts that we took to an extreme and started "reporting" people like crazy. The one thing I have noticed about the threads that are locked is that the mods have been saying read the rules and stuff like that. They definitely have their work cut out for them. I don't think I would want that responsibility. I just think it's up to all of us that are on here to keep an eye out for the trolls and just report them.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
-

Agreed Phoenix - not all of us have the diplomatic skills for "spirited debate". But - I'm not talking about things which we can all walk away from with our passionately held beliefs and our dignity intact. For instance, there have been many debates about feeding and diet which get the board hoppin' - it's interesting and education - sometimes a little meeeeoweeey - but... nobody "get's hurt". I'm talking about a couple of recent posts in which the OP's seem to deliberately provoke the popping of blood vessel's amongst we the gentle reading public. Posts such as the use of physical violence and fear tactics as a means of dealing with puppy behaviour, killing animals because of basic behaviour probs/ minor medical issues, killing animals because of their breed...the sort of thing that clearly earmarks a troll for me.

Agreed that the ! is a useful tool - it just seems to come late into the troll's work and many people are left terribly upset. And no, I sure wouldn't want to be a Mod - paragons of patience and tact are they. I'm not sure what the answer is - maybe the next time I see something I suspect I'll both hit the exclamation button and post a troll emoticon in reply.
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
Papa D

trolls......oh.iget it now.........i thought you were talkin about those little guys with funny hair........sorry i could not resist.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:31 PM
-

:troll: WHAT - ya mean my webcam was on all that time !!!! Yeesh - I gotta be more careful !:troll:
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:34 PM

If you suspect a troll, please don't hesitate to pm a mod or report the post.

Keep in mind that spring brings a lot of breeding questions and new members alike, so we appreciate a little bit of patience and understanding with both.

Thank you.
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
However, what if people seriously have a strong belief that is different than that of the majority here? Is it fair to blacklist them?
What gets me is when you try and answer and it's not what they want to hear so they are rude back.
I was like that in the beginning. I thought BSL was right on and cats didn't notice when they were declawed at a very young age. But the more I learned about both, the more I changed my opinion on them. I think these people need us to understand that they've only heard one side argued very well, and they don't know better. We can't assume that they come in here just to stir up the ****. I learned a lot about BSL from the board and from my bro with his two amazing pitties, but most people only have the media to learn from.

And with declawing, I saw the surgery done probably a hundred times, and I saw the kitties waking up all playful without a care in the world. What I didn't see was that 5 years later, they still do things with their nails that just aren't there, even though they probably don't remember ever having them. That did it for me. Watching a cat knead my leg without claws- sad sad sad.

We all learn in our own way, and we all have our own ideas about animal issues. I don't think two misinformed posts mean that a person is a troll. I think that more than that, and continuous confrontation is a different story.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
We all learn in our own way, and we all have our own ideas about animal issues.
Im glad this came up, I have noticed by reading the locked threads that some of us are mighty cruel to misinformed people on here, I understand with most of us either being rescue organizations or atleast a part of one, we tend to "jump down their throats" instead of educating them.

I know some of the questions make our blood boil but also think that patience would help to teach these people and make them see our point of view. Ihave seen some new members post questions that are legit by rules but we treat them like a leper. I know that if i were them (new members) I would just be insulted and never come back. (I dont think that is going to make them realize what they are doing is wrong) They will just continue with their beliefs.
Quote:
I was like that in the beginning. I thought BSL was right on and cats didn't notice when they were declawed at a very young age. But the more I learned about both, the more I changed my opinion on them.
If you would have just been insulted and made to feel horrible the first post and then decided not to stick around and learn about the issues, how would you have changed your mind??
I know that in the short period of time i have been here I have changed my opinion about many subjects as well! Education is the best way to help people realize what is truely happening to their pet.
Once again, I think some of us should be a bit more patient with new people.
IMO
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
If you would have just been insulted and made to feel horrible the first post and then decided not to stick around and learn about the issues, how would you have changed your mind??
Oh, I was flamed. Flamed like mad. But I was just too stubborn to leave.