Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 18th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Exclamation Leptospirosis questions....please help!!!

I'm in need of a little info....A close friend's 9 year old lab/boxer mix was taken to the vet yesterday, and they began treating her for Lepto. Her liver levels were extremely high and her kidneys were suffering as well. She is still at the vet's office
receiving IV fluids and antibiotics, and she may be there another day or two. She was vaccinated about 6 weeks ago, so they are guessing that this is a strain not covered in the vaccine.

So....I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had experience with Lepto (fortunately, I have never had to deal with it). A few of my specific questions:
Was there any long term liver or kidney damage after recovery? This little girl already had liver levels that were a little high at her last vet exam. What is the appropriate amount of time to keep my Labs away from her? We typically let them play
together in her yard every weekend! I've read that they can still shed serovars their urine for up to 3 months after recovering from the infection??
I also know that it can be transmitted to humans....how concerned should we be? Before we knew it was Lepto, we cleaned up some of her urine when she first became sick in the house. Of course, we were cautious to wash up after, but now that we know it is Lepto...we are a little nervous!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Are they 'sure' it is lepto? Or just 'guessing' it is? If so what type there is more then one type of lepto.

Was the dog 'ever' vaccinated for lepto. Recovery depends on how soon diagnosis and treatment started. If done swiftly the dog should recover.

Was the dog recently in a pond/creek?
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

A good place to look for disease info is to check the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention website www.CDC.gov http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?action=...rosis&x=7&y=12

For Liver support to aid in repair and healing, print out this article for the vet http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...lk_thistle.htm
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM

The actual Lepto bloodwork should come back today, but the vet is pretty certain that it is Lepto that we're dealing with.

The dog had received year vaccines (including Lepto) and all were current....she received her annual about 6 weeks ago. That's why they are guessing that it is a strain not covered in the vaccine.

She has not been in any ponds or creeks recently, but has been in a wooded area. At this point, she is still at the clinic receiving treatment. She ate for the first time yesterday, but still could not keep the good down so they would not let her come home yesterday. We're hoping she can come home today.

Should I limit the contact that my two dogs have with her? If so, for how long??

Thanks for the helpful links!!
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM
-

I would keep her separate from your dogs. Ask the vet for how long.
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I would keep the sick puppy away from other dogs and definitely speak with your vet. My dog has been vaccinated but I still worry with so many strains and the raccoons and skunks walking so brazenly up the front steps and of course their droppings are like manna to so many dogs. There is a Lab survivor of lepto in Toronto that I know of. He did suffer some damage to organs and has to eat an extremely low protein diet. Hope pup is okay but it will be a rough road.