Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM

puppy won't stop peeing

I have a six month old chocolate lab. He's a great dog and very smart. I've had him since he was six weeks old. He has learned to go no. 2 outside very quickly, but he wont stop peeing in the house. He knows the words "GO OUTSIDE?!?! GO POTTYY!" and he runs to the door. Some times he sits at the window facing the back yard when he needs or wants to go out. He wont bark at the door.

The problem is, most of the time he will tell me he wants to go out or needs to, by tinkling on the floor while staring me right in the eye. When I get up, he gets that guilty puppy look and runs for the door. Even after he is outside for several minutes, he will come in and leave a puddle on the kitchen floor. He knows its wrong. When I go to clean it up, he puts his head down and walks away like he's guilty.

Alot of the time, even after he goes out, he'll gesture me he wants to go out again, just minutes later and he does this several times, in a very short time span. I know he doesnt have a control problem. He spends several hours a day in his crate and holds it just fine, and he will only have his accidents on the kitchen floor, unless he can't hold it any longer.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanx
Old January 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to watch him when he is outside and do not let him in until he has gone pee.

Next time you catch him going on the floor, put on your "I mean business" voice and put the fear of God into him. Let him know that you absolutely mean business.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

This is just a puppy who is not 100% housetrained. Very few six month old puppies are totally reliable. You need to stop letting him have so much freedom.

If necessary, attach him to you with a leash around the house. As soon as he shows any indication that he needs to go,RUSH him outside and praise like crazy when he goes.

Sorry Sandi, I have to disagree with this:
Quote:
put the fear of God into him. Let him know that you absolutely mean business.
I would never be harsh with a puppy piddling in the house. This will only teach him not to do it in FRONT of you, and he will sneak off to do it elsewhere.

In short, if your puppy pees in the house, it's YOUR fault for not watching/supervising or containing him.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey the pup is young!

I don't get the 'he won't bark at the door'

SO WHAT! Most dogs don't bark when they have to go out. Your job to notice when they do.

People complain when their dogs bark then they complain when they don't. (sorry thats a little comical)

However on to your problem.

The more often you take the dog out the better

Are you putting papers down in the house anywhere? If you are, and you're home DON'T do it, it encourages the dog to go there and pup will think it's okay.

When you see the pee in action, just say lets go outside and take him out!

It's just time, and effort. Don't get upset with the pup though, there is no need

Also make more frequent trips outside. Don't WAIT until he tells you he has to go. Bladders are small and weak at this age.
The more you take him out, the more he understands that 'business' is to be done outdoors, right.

Don't expect him to bark to let you know, even as an adult dog.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree.NEVER put fear in a puppy.That is just asking for trouble.You say you have had him since he was 6 weeks old.And he's now 6 months.In all this time he has been peeing in the house?Does he pee at all when he is outside?I also agree with Luba.Take him out more often.And when he does pee,praise him big time.Also,if you are letting him out in the backyard,go with him.When he pees,again,praise him and say "good boy"...I just find people don't praise enough when dogs/puppies do good.If that made sense.LOL.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Just one question - you say he pees right in front of you. Is he actually squatting and going, or is the urine just running out while he sits, stands, etc?

If it's just running out, I think he needs to be checked by a vet to rule out any medical reason for this.

As for barking at the door when he needs to go out, that is something you must train to do.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the positive input. In response to certain matters, I don't lay paper down for him, ever. I DO watch him constantly. I let him out even before he indicates he has to go, which is at least 15 times a day. He doesn't hardly ever go into a full squat/urine stream in the house, it's usually a little trickle then cuts it off when I jump up, and he prances over to the door, following me to go out. It's like he's begins to go to get my attention.

He sleeps in his crate at night and stays in there while I'm at work, without any fuss and doesnt potty in there ever, so I know he is capable of controling himself.

The only things I guess I'm lacking, is actually spending outdoor time with him, especially now that it's getting real cold. Will just have to sacrifice my own comfort.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

One thing I forgot to say is if your dog IS coming to you to let you know it's got to go then you should be happy thats a good sign.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

It's so common to hear "I SENT him out, but he came back and peed in the house."

If you send your puppy out, how can you praise him for doing his business out there? Going and standing in the cold and rain is one of the downsides to puppy ownership, but it has to be done.

I don't think anyone likes it, but tuff!

Dogs sent out often just come right back without finishing.

A puppy must be TAKEN out!
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Well all I can say is that if he is in his crate ALL night and in it ALL day as you work,then he definetly need to go out more.You are making him hold it in for far to long.As I have been told,4 hours should be the max.Take him out more.Take him for long walks.He needs excercise.So what if it's getting colder.Take him.And if you have just started to take him out less cause the weather,well that's not fair.My guys go out rain,shine,snow.Seems to me by what you wrote is you don't spend enough time out with him.I could be wrong.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well PeeDog you know what to do, yup outdoors with puppy!

Whats his name? How about a cute picture, we'd love to see one

Is there any way you can get someone to let him out while you are at work? I'm guessing its several hours he is alone?

Be a good idea for him to get out on walks like Mona was saying. Hey just dress warm and you'll be okay. I usually stuff my pockets with tissue, bags for poop and a couple of treats. Make it a really fun event for you and the pup.

Is there a park nearby you can go play ball? You have any neighbours with dogs, maybe you can walk them together. It's more fun to have someone to talk to.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 04:08 PM

Thanks Luba and LavenderRot, you guys have helpful and GRACIOUS.. didn't know getting pet advice could be so harsh as some have been. Sorry, don't have a pic of Jaxx to post, maybe one day soon. He's a cutie tho, all chocolate with a white spot on his tail, only 3/4 lab and is a 45 lb monster-sized baby.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 04:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sorry if we come across harsh. I suppose we do get a little like that but it's only because we see the same kind of posts over and over from people.

Don't take it personal, we're all learning
Attached Images

Old January 3rd, 2004, 04:49 PM

Luba you were fine, it's just from other people I felt like I was being attacked and they were making assumptions about me without necessary being direct about it. I take care of Jaxx. I feed him, play with him, take him outside, give him attention whenever he wants which is practically 24/7. He never leaves my side. I ran him to the vet when he was having diahrea the very next day.. he is not at all neglected, spoiled is more like it. I've even taught him to give "hugs". He comes running and leans in on me and licks me when I yell out "HUGGS". By three months of age, I've spent time with him, he learned by then to sit, shake, "up pretty" and lay down. I didn't force him to learn, he is just very smart. To get him use to going "b'bye". I made it joy ride, by taking him thru McDonald's drive thru and getting him a plain burger. I feel like I'm defending myself, but needless to say, I love him and take the very best care of him.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh don't feel like you have to do that (hugs)

Nobody meant any harm, trust me these are all really good people! Stay around and you'll see what I mean, you will grow to enjoy us all.

Thanks so much and your dog seems lovely
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m sure you love your dog! You are taking things personally, and they aren't personal. How can they be, since we don't know you.

I"m confused, because you say
Quote:
I feed him, play with him, take him outside, give him attention whenever he wants which is practically 24/7
Then you say he is crated while you work. Do you work at home, or take him to work with you?

You are asking for help for a puppy peeing in the house, and when given a very common sense answer of "TAKE him out and don't send him" you feel this is an attack??

I did not say anything offensive to you, and if you think I did, then you are way to sensitive.
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Senior Contributor

None of us were making assumptions.If anything we were asking questions.You were asking for help.But didn't really give us much to go on.You never mentioned if he was going pee outside.These were things we needed to know for us to help.You only gave us bits and pieces.So we worked around that.And we never said anything about you not loving your pup.What did really botherd me is how you said you would "have to sacrifice my comfort."I would sacrifice my life for my dogs.I just didn't like that comment.I'm sorry if you think we were harsh.But we we not harsh.As Luba said,we see this question asked many times.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:31 AM

The dog does pee outside! 24/7 has become a catch phrase that has been put in use for a statement of exaggeration. He is with me constantly, by my side, as I'm home most of the time.. WHEN IM NOT WORKING. Luba, you been great and thanx, but I won't be returning here or making any more posts.. these people are just to abrupt and rude. Rather then asking for clarity the come to conclusions.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hope you change your mind.

Stick around you can share your information with others and perhaps help them or learn more yourself.

Always room for another

Nobody means any harm, sometimes it's hard to determine a tone of someones message because it's all type written.

I can vouch for everyone here on this post, they're all grrreat
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Just want to say that this thread helped ME! It's been so long since we've had a puppy that I'm relearning everything.

Our little guy is 14-1/2 wks old (we got him at 12 wks) and potty training...whew!

This has been a great reminder to continue to go out _with_ him. We had been doing that up until a few days ago when we began attaching him to our big dog's outdoor lead for 10-15 minutes every couple hours. (Which the pup loves, but it's no substitution for immediate praise and treats and love for a job well done.)

And you guessed it, the peeing accidents began about the same time. DUH

So thanks to PeeDog for beginning this thread and all you great forum readers for responding!!

(I think I need to buy stock in a puppy treats company.)

-Cristina
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad we could help! That is one beautiful puppy!! Is he an Akita?
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Great news

Adorable baby you got there
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad that we could help you.

OMG,your little guy is adorable.He sure does look like an Akita.

Anything else we can help you with just ask.