Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:16 PM
amaruq's Avatar
amaruq amaruq is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 743
Grapes and Raisin poisoning in dogs

I was doing some searching and came across this article. Oh my goodness..I was more then a little shocked.

I will be more careful as I have been known to give my pups. Here is article:



Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.


I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:07 AM
mona_b's Avatar
mona_b mona_b is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton Ont
Posts: 4,620
No there is no need to panic it they have a few.I have 2 GSD's.And I have this great book about the breed.Tells you everything.Also what they can have.They can have grapes.Just a few.Not that mine like them.They are more into eating the raspberries of the bush.Hahaha.But what I was shocked at is that they can also have cottage cheese and yogurt.Go figure.
__________________
"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Bueller's Mommy Bueller's Mommy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 28
I recall reading somewhere that it's actually the 'seeds' in grapes that contain the toxins. Also with most fruit the seeds and pits are poisonous to dogs such as cherry pits, peach pits, apple seeds etc. My parents have fed all 3 of their dachshunds grapes for years and they're all fine. In fact, Wally the oldest one LOVED grapes and he lived to be 15! No worries.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Luba's Avatar
Luba Luba is offline
Sadie's Chefomatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,303
The consumption would have to be rather high...but a good idea not to give anyway.

Same with Chocolate, consumption has to be a LOT but since it's toxic to them why bother giving any right!!

smiles
__________________
Cats only have nine lives because they stole them from dogs!Teehee
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Carina's Avatar
Carina Carina is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,244
Same with onions, a little piece they may get in human leftovers (if you allow that) won't hurt. But if a dog gets onions, or something even containing onion powder, on a regular basis, they can get a potentially life threatening anemia.

I've read of people who give a little baby food along with their dog's regular food; it's wise to check the ingredients for onion flavouring.
__________________
Carina
Cooper The WonderDog
Daphne The Destructo-Rott
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:52 AM
daisy18216's Avatar
daisy18216 daisy18216 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 419
I never knew that grapes and raisins were poisonious in dogs.

I don't give them any anyway, but the kids on the other hand that's a different story. I'll have to watch my kids when they eat grapes, and raisins so they don't give any to our dogs. They love to share their food w/the dogs.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 10.00%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.