Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Exclamation My male cats poops on the floor when he is scared, I need help!

Hi, I am new here and did a search on yahoo and found you! Thank God!!!!

This is the story. I got my cat (male) from the SPCA about 3 years ago. He has always been to big I guess to go all of the way in the litter box so I got him a bigger box or one with a top and he is fine. I have four cats total, one boy and three girls. All are fixed except on girl, which I never had problems with any of them. Then a couple of months ago, the boy cat started to poop on the floor next to the litter box, even when the box is clean!!

I acted someone what to do and she said get two boxes because many he doens't like the smell of the other cats or something. So I have two boxes and he still goes on the floor. He pees in the box and then goes on the floor. While he is pooping he meows really loud. Then he looks at us and meows and takes off running.

All of my cats get along with company, but when new people or friends come by, he runs and hide and if he has to go to the bathroom, he will meow and then poop where ever he is. I never had this problem with him before but he has been doing this for about three months and my husband wants to give him away. Today we had company and he pooped upstairs in a place where he sleeps alot and then came downstairs and pooped on the side of the litter box. The boxes are hidden where they have privacy and all. And we try to feed the cats good food.

The thing is, that I do know is that he and one of the girls has worms. The other two don't. I do know that I need to take them to get dewormed. Are the worms causing him to go on the floor next to the box? Why is he doing it? And if the worms are causing him pain, why does the girl cat not poop strangely like him. She is fine.

Does my cat have a behavior problem and is too scared to go in the box? Can someone help me before my husband forces me to give him away. We both love him but we don't know why he is scared. He has always been scared and hides but he never was too scared to go to the litter box?

thanks,
latonya

Last edited by Dragonfly; April 9th, 2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I would recommend a trip to the vet, cats are clean critters and more than one box (kept clean as you said) should have eliminated the problem if it was that. You said he and another cat have worms, why haven't they been to the vets yet? Why do you have an unspayed female (which also could be causing issues)? Sorry for all the questions, but you're way past due to take your cats to the vet and address these issues. Please do so and let us know how you made out.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome!!I agree,having worms cannot be pleasant it needs to be taken care of and not with any Wal-Mart remedy, I would also definitely have the female spayed.
I have 3 cats and 2 large Rubber-Maid boxes,you probably need one more.
The way he is behaving,he knows he is doing something wrong and you have to help him,first by eliminating the worms!!
"Giving him away"would be a death-sentence for a skittish cat and I am sure if you love him you don't want that.Since he's crying when he poops,he also is probably sore,most likely from the worms,but associates the pain with the litter-box..:sad: Good Luck!!
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree with the others. Get your female fixed. The smell of a female cat in heat is very upsetting to spayed and neutered cats.

Take a stool sample to have checked for worms.

As for "giving him away"...do you think someone else is looking for a skittish, fearful cat who poops all over?
You can't pass this problem on to someone else. You have to deal it with it yourself.
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi and welcome to the site.

As this is a recent thing thats cropped up after 3 years, it doesnt sound related to fear issues - being afraid of the box.

The meowing while he's going indicate "something" - maybe pain or discomfort.
The wormng treatment is very inexpensive, but a complete vet checkup is the very first thing needed to rule out all medical causes.

You love him, want to keep him. Please just bear with him while this is sorted out. If you give him away, he will soon be labelled a "problem cat", and the prospects for him would be grim.:sad:

One of my neutered males of six is also a very timid, skittish cat who hides from strangers. He began pooping on the floor about a year ago, sometimes beside the box - 3 boxes for 3 cats. It's not health related and he only does this randomly - maybe once every week or two. Sometimes he's good for a month or more, think the problem is gone - then it's back.
I love him dearly, so extend patience that another wouldnt necessarily have for his "mishaps", and who might label him a "dirty cat".:sad:
He isnt. He has his "reasons". Cats are fastidious by nature, there is always a reason.
I understand your frustration, but believe a solution for your kitty's problems can be found. Rehoming him will only transfer the problem, and for a fearful nervous cat, likely worsen it.

Good luck to you with this.