Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Finicky Chi won't eat for days

My longhair Chihuahua is a picky eater. I found a great pet store that gave me a bag full of samples and I finally found that he would eat Solid Gold's Wee Bits. I often mix their Greet Tripe (just enough to wet the food) with it but some times I give it to him dry and all of a sudden he won't eat it dry. If I put it down dry it will be days before he eats!! During this time he also started pooping out white, but well formed stools. It think it was a bone he gnaws on (its safe the bone is as big as he is) but he really wasn't eating I got nervous. He finally ate a little last night and his poop turned brown again. My two questions are:

What would cause white poop?

Should I worry about his teeth and wet food?
(Again its like a quarter cup of kibble with a 1/2 a tablespoon of tripe but he is not keen on brushing.)
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
If I put it down dry it will be days before he eats
If a Chi didn't eat for days it would die.

It doesn't have the fat/muscle reserves to survive w/o eating.
Old April 8th, 2006, 12:19 AM

I may be exagerating a bit when I say days. It is probably only one day and now that I think about it his condo (his big crate) has a kong with treats in it that may have tied him over. I'm a new mom, I worry. I still would like to know what would cause white poop and how much I should worry about his teeth with not feeding him completely dry food.
Old April 8th, 2006, 02:02 AM

More recent studies say that it's not the texture of the food but the quality of the food that helps teeth stay healthy- so definitely keep on feeding the canned, if that's what he needs. Solid Gold makes great food, so your dog's teeth should stay relatively healthy (I say relatively because despite all the effort in the world, some dogs just build plaque anyway).

For the white stool, maybe you should ask your vet to be sure, and maybe bring him a sample to test, but some of the dogs I know with white stools have them because they eat a lot of kleenex...

Last edited by Prin; April 8th, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Thanks Prin. I have known him to shred paper towel and tissue when I am not looking and I have to keep fabric away from him sometimes as he will chew on it when I leave. He doesn't like chew toys or chew on the furniture(thank goodness). I will check with my vet though. I thought it might be the bone he had been knawing on white bone white poop...
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:13 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

When Simon and Peaches get their nylabones to a certain point, I start seeing white flecks in their poop. Everytime Peach gets into tissues or papertowels, her poop gets hard and white as well, but generally only where the tissue has concentrated. Larger wastebaskets might be in order so she can't get at them, but some dogs are finicky about their food and prefer a slightly more moist food. If you're really concerned, take a sample to your vet, it's the best way to know for sure

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

If he wants canned food, give him a good quality canned food.

Chihauhuas usually have dental problems, and need to checked out regularly at the vet, but canned food won't make his teeth any worse.

Since he's so small, you can afford to give him something like Merrick canned. I'm pretty sure he'll eat that!

I sure wouldn't want to just eat dry cereral all the time!
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the advice. I am not really concerned about Kohl's(Who is a boy by the way, even in person people always say she, he is a pretty boy. One neighborhood boy call him Nicole! ) odd colored poop as there was no change in his temperment or general behavior. So I don't think he was sick. And I am a new pet mom so everything worries me a little. I have a neighbor with a long haired Chi named Blondie and she is exceedingly overweight and her teeth are scary but she is only seven. So I got a little scared for his teeth.
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I noticed I wrote she once, even though I knew Kohl was a dude.. Sorry.

Is he eating?