Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Lucy's daddy

Possibly the best dog-food available?

http://www.theskyesthelimit.com/index.htm

My sick Lucy who has no desire to eat anything at the moment went through one whole muffin of Canine Life in seconds and is begging for more.

Tried samples of the following foods:

BURNS - she doesn't like it.
Solid-Gold - She sniffed it and took it in her mouth but spat it out.
Wellness - sniffed it, didn't eat it.
Nutrience - hates it.
Canine Life - She can't get enough of it. For the first time in her life she's barked at me asking for more food!

It's by far the most expensive dog-food I've known and I'm very tempted to buy it. You can even buy the mixture and make your own muffins which makes it more economical.

This food is certainly not affordable for people with big dogs. At more than $1/muffin you're looking at about $50/month for a small dog and over $200/month for a big dog.
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM

hmm, extremely interesting...I have confidence in the University of Guelph if nothing else...

Of course I can't even make muffins for myself :sad: so its not that much of a possibility, ingredient list looks okay though:

Ground chicken, green beans, carrots, red apple, organic milled brown rice, organic oat, organic whole barley, organic cold pressed safflower oil, filtered water, calcium, egg, carob, 100% pure alfalfa, Acadian sea kelp, oregano, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, ginger, garlic.

-other stuff from their ingredient list (in no particular order since I pulled them from a table):
Organic Chick Pea
Organic Quinoa
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA)
Broccoli
Sweet Potato
Turmeric

talk about dogs eating better than humans, I don't even eat free-run eggs >< and that's more spices than I've ever put in my food - and if you have a big dog, mixing it in their normal kibble is always a possibility - but I'm reading "how dogs think" by Stanley Coren and am just into the taste buds area so I'm just gonna point out that just because your dogs particularly "love" the taste of it does not mean that its the best food out there. But then again, the ingredient list looks okay and like I said, the University of Guelph have some pretty smart and innovative people. It seems like an extremely good food for dogs with health problems or possibly older dogs (that have a higher chance of developing said problems).

Last edited by maigrey; April 4th, 2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM

ok so you bought the ready-made muffins? I was trying to figure out how it worked because at the bottom it was explaining how to change it up (they say to add different meats to it, but then I thought there was already chicken.. but it's the pre-mix).

It looks really good. My doggies would probably love it too...

(I just don't know the order of the ingredients, but if you make your own muffins, you can be sure of how much meat you add)
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Actually, I'm really fasinated by this. I was browsing the website and while the completed muffins seem pretty expensive, the mix isn't that bad (except for the fact that you have to bake the muffins yourself - my baking skills are pretty subpar)

//
CANINE LIFE health food pre-mix baking instructions:

Please read all instructions before preparing Canine Life.

INGREDIENTS:
5 cups Canine Life, Pre-Mix
1/2 cup green beans washed, pureed*
1/2 cup carrots washed, pureed*
1 egg
1 medium/large sized red apple, washed, cored, pureed*
1 - 2 cups distilled or filtered water
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) organic cold pressed safflower oil
1-1/2 pounds ground chicken - adult dogs
2 pounds ground chicken - puppies

*Pureed means chopped very fine, i.e. food processor, cuisinart, blender, meat grinder, food grater. All veggies and proteins are raw when they are mixed in with the other ingredients. One pound of meat is the equivalent of 454 grams, so 1-1/2 pounds of meat equals 681 grams and 2 pounds of meat equals 908 grams.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350F (180C) degrees.

Lightly grease a 9 x 12 baking pan, or muffin tins. One batch makes 20 squares or 20 regular sized muffins.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well.

Place mixture into 9 x 12 baking pan or muffin tins.

Baking Pan: 50 – 60 minutes.

Muffin Tins: 25 - 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool to room temperature, before storing in an air tight container or ziplock bags. Refrigerate 2 to 3 days worth of food, and freeze the rest.

***Helpful Tip: fill empty muffins shells (that you did not fill with mix) 3/4 full with water to protect them from scorching in the oven.

The following can be used as variations:

Protein: regular ground beef, chicken, turkey, veal, lamb, ostrich, buffalo, venison, salmon, tuna or mackerel. Tuna and salmon can be canned or fresh. If using canned, rinse with water in a strainer to remove any salt that is added in the can. Use 4 cans (approximately 170 grams each) for tuna, and 3 cans (approximately 213 grams each) for salmon.

Each batch should contain 1/2 cup of orange vegetable and 1/2 cup of green vegetable.
Orange vegetables: carrots, sweet potatoes, Butternut, Acorn, or Hubbard squash, pureed.
Green vegetables: green beans, zucchini, broccoli, pureed.

Oil: Canine Life recommends the use of organic cold pressed oils, including safflower, sunflower, and canola.

Eggs: Feed Canine Life for 6 weeks, using 1 egg. If your dog appears fine after that time, add 1 more egg to each batch, and monitor your dog for any sign of sensitivity, e.g. itching, loose stool. If sensitivity is noted, return to 1 egg per batch of Canine Life.

Cranberry juice: 1/4 cup pure cranberry juice, can be used in place of 1/4 cup water.
Blueberries: Add 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries to the batch for variety. Blueberries are an excellent anti-oxidant, and also very tasty.
//

For those of you looking for more "natural" homemade foods, this is pretty cool. Of course, I've never pureed anything in my life, so again, not gonna work. Oh and its not that expensive because enough mix for 300 muffins is $75 (I'm assuming Canadian) so even if your dog eats 6 ish a day, you've got almost a 2 month supply - its just a lot of time to invest...

Last edited by maigrey; April 4th, 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM

sounds good... kind of like a barf diet made easy... (are there ground bones in the premix?) I'll have to look it up.
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Lucy's daddy

You guys will like this:

I'm going to meet the lady behind these muffins as she lives a few blocks away from me! I bought the pre-made muffins from Ryan's Pet Foods and the people there were absolutely great. They showed me exactly how to make my own muffins, how to shape them to my dog's liking and how to change the mixture once in a while. They were pretty enthusiastic about this product and recommended it over their most expensive canned products. They said if everyone in the world took the time to make these simple yet rich muffins, big corporates like IAMS would have to pack their bags and leave the market for good.

From what I understood there really is nothing complicated to making these muffins. I'm a 24 year old guy who has never even tried to cook and to me making these muffins is easier than going to the store and buying the pre-made ones!

The girl at Ryan's Pet Foods was one sweet and pet-loving person who took the time to explain how to make the muffins and where to buy the ingredients in order to make the process super-economical. She never promoted their own stuff and actually recommended different grocery stores for the ingredients. The good thing is at Ryan's they don't charge a penny extra for the pre-made muffins or the mixture. They charge exactly what it costs to order directly from Canine. I like that.

Also, you don't have to stick with exactly what's in the muffins. you can add or alter the ingredients to your dog's needs and never worry about a thing.

To be honest, after reading stories about different dog foods out there and the ongoing war about dog-foods I have lost trust in all big corporates. I don't care if there are laws and rules that prevent corporates from faking the ingredients inside their food by putting misleading percentages on the packaging, but I still go by the old rule of thumb "If I don't see it, I don't believe it"

Now, I'm not one of those people who makes a huge fuss about every little thing a dog eats, but if I'm paying money for it, it's gotta be worth it, and to me these muffins are worth every penny(especially if you make them yourself).

I'm one of the laziest people when it comes to kitchen work, but I'm hoping my lazy ass will follow my mind so I can make these things at home!

Good luck everyone. If Lucy continues to like the food and she stays healthy, I'm gonna be a strong advocate of Canine Life LTD since they are a local company from Burlington(where I live) and I'm always a fan of underdogs!
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM

So far it looks like its just available in the Ontario area and BC unless you especially order it. I personally like that its in muffin form, it seems slightly easier to digest than kibble that dogs wolf down, although as Prin has said, switching the diet of your dog when he/she is perfectly happy where he/she is could sometimes be somewhat detrimental.

(btw the westcoast site has more information in case anyone is interested in learning more:
http://www.westcoastcaninelife.com)
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM

It's only a risk if your dog is really sensitive and you've finally found a food your dog likes and can digest well...