Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Lightbulb lonely lovebird

Good morning, I am new to this forum, but do have a question about my 4yr old male lovebird (peach face) named Plume. I have had this bird since he was 5weeks old. In the last few months, he seems to be lonely. He is let out of his cage for about 30 to 45 minutes a day, sometimes more. Even after being let out, fed and bathed, he still rings his bell and chirps constantly. He wants all our attention, a little hard to do with 3 kids and 2 dogs (my golden would love to get her teeth on him) and sometimes foster puppies. My question is this, I was thinking of getting a female lovebird of around 2 years old, to keep him company ( I am not interested in breeding). I was told that this would be the perfect match for him. Would Plume accept this other bird and will we still be able to handle him as we do now? Would love to hear from anyone who could give me some answers. Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Lovebirds can be aggressive and territorial, and introducing a new one can be very tricky especially, as in your case, the bird has lived it's whole life isolated from other birds!

If you're sure you have a male, a female would be best. You need to get another cage and set them up side by side, but NOT close enough for them to be able to peck at each other through the bars.

You can monitor how this goes for awhile. If you do decide to put them together, put the female into your male's cage, since females are often more territorial than males. Be ready to rescue one of them if there is serious aggression.

No, you will not have the same relationship with your bird as you do now, but unless you can give him more time and attention that shouldn't be the main consideration.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:17 AM

lonely lovebird

Thanks Lucky!
We have another cage, so when we find the appropriate friend for Plume we will follow your recommendations!