Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM

Question Breeding Forum?

I see that there is a "Breed" forum, but nothing about breeding. Is this because the site is anti-breeding, or because they don't want solicitation? I am thinking about breeding my pup, and I'd love to be able to discuss common issues with others who have been through it.

Maybe you could specifically state NO SOLICITATION or something. I am not up on what's "cruel" today in the pet world, so maybe breeding is one of those things.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Most of the members here are in some way, shape, or form are involved in rescue and have strong feelings about breeding.

Breeding is something that should be taken extremely seriously, with so many things taken into account. First, you need to know that the dog you want to breed meets the breed standard. The only true way to do this is to show your dog and earn titles. Most people want dogs that not only meet the physical standard, but have brains too. That means obedience titles.

Then there are the genetics of your dog that you need to know. What genetic diseases are common in your breed? How do you test for these and find out if your dog is affected or might be a carrier?

What are you willing to do for the people that buy your puppies? If something happens 10 years from now, are you willing to take these dogs back? What questions are you going to ask potential puppy buyers before you let them take one of your puppies home? Do you know the answers to ALL of the questions that they may ask you? If not, do you know where to get the answers?

There are over 126,000 dogs looking for homes on Petfinder. Over 2 million dogs are euthanizes each year in the U.S. because they don't have homes.

No, we really don't need a breeding forum. Please, find someone to mentor you. Someone who knows the breed that you have VERY well.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM

I understand many of the issues that you have presented. However, with all of the breeding going on in the world, denying this forum will not stop it. If people are going to breed regardless (or if they have all of the answers to the questions you asked), after showing their dogs, wouldn't it be nice if they had someone to talk to about it?

I do need a mentor and I am just tossing ideas around. I mean no offense to asking about a breeding thread. I will go somewhere else.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

JMO, but anyone wanting to discuss their breeding here should have to send proof to Admin that their dog is titled and tested.

Otherwise, it would turn into free for all for backyard breeders!
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am glad we don't have a breeding forum, and hope it remains this way!
Just because people are going to breed anyway, doesn't mean we should should have a forum for it!
It's like saying, there will always be people out there who abuse animals, so does that mean we should have a forum for that too?
JMO

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand that not having a breeding forum will not stop people from breeding. But at least they won't be getting the knowledge on how to overpopulate the shelters from me and I can sleep at night.

Lucky - I can't imagine that Admin would want to wade through that kind of stuff and besides - the people that you and I think should be breeding wouldn't be looking for advice on the internet.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneCatherine
I do need a mentor and I am just tossing ideas around.
The best mentor to have is a reputable breeder with many years experience in his/her breed. This person would have all the knowledge necessary to breed sound, healthy animals that excel in the show ring and as pets. A good mentor in your breed would be able to help you with your breeding program and would show you the ropes. They would guide you with all the necessary show/obedience titles, required testing and genetics.

A reputable breeder has to start somewhere, but in my opinion, a forum is not the place. You need someone with whom you can have visits with and person to person guidance.

A mentor is someone with extensive knowledge in his/her breed and who is more than willing to teach you everything you need to know about the breed's history, genetics and temperament. You will need all this knowledge in order to create a line that is true to the breed standard yet genetically and temperamentally sound.

There is so much more involved in breeding than simply putting a male and a female together and hoping for the best.

With that being said, IMO, I don't think we should have a breeding forum.

Last edited by Beaglemom; April 3rd, 2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

rules get broken often - I'm sure the mods already have their hands full closing all the posts that break the rules. look at the pet health section... how many posts do you see that include vomitting, diahrea, and bleeding? even though it clearly states you should seek vet care for issues such as those.

do you think saying "no solicitation" would work? I don't. I think having a forum for breeding would be a full time monitoring job for those who run this board. I think you'd see more threads closed than open. I also think it would spark many harsh comments, hurt feelings, and major rants.

I have great respect for responsible breeders who have the experience, time & commitment to bettering a particular breed, but I don't think we'd get many posts of that nature.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
the people that you and I think should be breeding wouldn't be looking for advice on the internet.
You're so right about that! Backyard breeders have no ethics. They had to make the "Pets Wanted" classifeds on Petfinder password protected because everyone looking for a pet had flooded mailboxes due to bybers trying to peddle puppies/kittens.

When I first found THIS board, every second post was someone trying to unload puppies or pimping their dogs out.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM

The number of bad breeders far outnumbers the number of good breeders and rescue people combined. If we open that door, it will be very hard to close. This site is full of people who either work in rescue, get dogs from rescue or research their breed to death before buying it (not everybody, but most of the regular people). Breeders and rescues just don't mix well...

Besides, the internet is not the place to get info on breeding. You don't know these people- how can you trust a stranger with your dog's life?

People here post small questions, like ear infection, anal gland, food or grooming questions. Not life-changing questions (those are usually closed).

(sorry if I sound anal... I love this website the way it is...)

Last edited by Prin; April 3rd, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM

I have to soundly agree with all the responses here. I adopted my "forever" dog from the city pound after having a very, very bad experience with a BYB'er.

I come here for help in raising her the best I can. I'd hate to click on "New Posts" everyday and have to wade through tons upon tons of emails about how best to breed dogs. How depressing could it possibly get? I get sad just monitoring Pet Finder, and the city "adoptables" website.....

LavenderRott said it best...those who SHOULD be breeding dogs would definitely not be asking questions here.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's a tough one because breeding questions (either intentional breeding by responsible breeders or 'by accident') are legitimate questions and this site IS first and foremost about pet information.

That said, this board has taken on a certain pulse.
That pulse suggests to the ADMINS that a breeding forum at this time would probably conflict with the prevailing attitude of spaying/neutering/rescuing/adopting.
So for now, there will not be a breeding forum.

THAT SAID, when these types of questions are asked in existing forums we EXPECT that members Diplomatically educate the poster (while answering the actual question, which 90% of the time has to do with pregnancy signs) or ignore the thread.

Thanks all,
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Thank you

Thanks for all of the responses, again I was just throwing it out there. I see now that obviously most people will take offense to talking about breeding, so a thread will not be appropriate.

I had some general questions about it, most of which have been answered in a roundabout way. I wasn't planning to take to heart all advice or comments from an internet site, but I doubt people do that with the other threads anyway. Obviously people asking questions about their dog/cat's health should see the vet before anything else- so the internet is certainly not the place for that either.

Just a thought! I rescind my suggestion.

Old April 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

LianneCatherine,

Absolutetly no need to be sorry or to apologize.

This forum grows and thrives on member input and suggestions - many of which have been implemented thanks to members like yourself.

Please never be shy to make suggestions.

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
owned by Tucker

Part of the reason I like this forum is that it is Pro-spay\neuter, I wouldn't want a spot for breeding. It would go against what the rescue groups here are trying to do. Personaly I believe if you have to ask questions about breeding here, you shouldn't be doing it. Everytime I see a question like "how many times does my dog have to mate to get pregnant?" I just shake my head.
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I do not think this site needs a breeders corner. But if you are interested in breedeing find a reputable breeder if they advertise in the paper good sign they are not a reputable breeder. Most breed specific sites have a breeders corner I know the Mastiff site I belong to and you have to be a member in good standing to be admitted to that section. It is nice to see someone asking intelligent questions about it. Good luck
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that it would not be in keeping with the tone of these boards to have a forum that appears to encourage breeding, because, as has been suggested, it stands the very real possibility of encouraging back yard breeders.

I do think, however, that a sticky or a closed forum or something like that which might outline all of the reasons why a person should not be breeding irresponsibly might make at least one person stop and think before breeding their pup. Not all of the folks who think about doing that are looking to make money. Some of them are thinking it might be "fun", or their dog is "so cute" they should make more of them, etc. In many cases it's just ignorance and maybe we could educate one or two of them. (Lianne Catherine, I am NOT including you in that generalization, please take no offense. I'm thinking of other new people who might join for that reason !)

While I would never have thought of breeding there are so many other areas in which I had no knowledge before coming to these boards. I feel that I am getting a great education here every day and becoming a better pet parent all the time !
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:20 AM

I know, it's a hassle, but I like it better when people educate the BYB's one on one... I don't think a sticky would do it. EVERY BYB that has posted here thinks they're special and different from all the others.