Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM

Post dog food

I feel that beneful is a very good dog food. My puppy was on the imune system one when he got very sick with parvo. I thought he was just sick from getting into insulation but after 3 or 4 days (which he prob should have been dead) the vet wanted to see him and sure enough he had parvo. now he is 7 months and wieghs about 55 pounds. very exspensive dog though.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM

is it just me or does the beef stew on the beneful.com site look yummy?

if you're talking about healthy growth (the puppy dried food) the ingredient list is slightly iffy, although if its working for your dog, then *shrug*.

//
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken, rice flour, milk, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), calcium carbonate, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, brewers dried yeast, biotin, garlic oil, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite. A-4093
//

the fact that corn is the first product is apparently not so brilliant but that's just from the little I picked up from these forums...
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

one of the general ruels is : if you can find it in a grocery store, you shouldn't feed it to your dog!
If your dog is doing well on it, than that's good -- but it isn't a top rated food (not even close!) You mentioned that it was expensive, higher quality foods might be even more expensive than benefull -- but you'll save money on vet bills in the long run. Plus you can usually feed a little bit less....

Here's a good site on how to read dog food labels :
http://www.boxerworld.com/feeding/

Choosing a good kibble (dry dog food)

Choosing a good kibble for your boxer doesn’t always seem easy. The labels on the packages appear designed to confuse, and beyond identifying whether a food is chicken or lamb-based, people often come away feeling they need a science degree to decipher the rest. And while an ingredient may sound good and conjure up images of plump juicy meat parts, you need to be aware that the definition of what constitutes that ingredient (if it even has a definition) can be quite different. Well, we can’t change the labelling laws here – but we can give you an overview of what we think you should be looking for in a good quality dry dog food.

First and foremost, dogs are carnivore/omnivores – a good proportion of their diet needs to be meat protein sources. Plant proteins tend to be more difficult for dogs to digest, are less palatable and offer less nutrition. Grains are lower than vegetables on the digestibility and nutritional adequacy scale.

So, look at the top five or so ingredients - these form the major portion of the food. The ingredients in dog food are required to be listed in order of weight. So that means that the first ingredient on the list is the one with the greatest volume in the food. We want this to be a named meat source – eg. Chicken, beef or lamb. Never unidentified “meat” and never a "by-product". Note also that since the list runs in order of weight, it is better to see “chicken meal” than “chicken” at the top of the list. “Chicken” includes a high degree of water content, “chicken meal” does not – so with “chicken” it is quite possible that once the water content is removed, it may actually be the fourth or fifth ingredient, not necessarily the first as suggested.

Within the first five ingredients we want to see at least two (preferably more) named meat sources, and as few grains as possible. The first ingredient should certainly be a named meat source. Grains are almost unavoidable in kibble, but they are not a natural source of food for dogs, are often undigestible (what’s the point of a food if your dog can’t digest it?) and are common allergens. Whole ground grains are far better than grain fragments (floor sweepings?) which typically have little or no nutritional value. Brown rice (a whole grain) is better than white rice, which has been stripped of about 75% of its nutritional value. Whole fruits and vegetables are better nutritional sources than grains.

Looking further down the list, we prefer not to see any corn products in the food (corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal, corn syrup, etc) as corn is very difficult to digest, of little nutritional value, and a very common allergen in boxers. Same goes for wheat products/fragments and for beet pulp or molasses (sugar). It should go without saying that we would never buy a food with any form of corn or wheat in the top five ingredients.

We do not want to see any by-products in the food, especially of un-specified source. The AAFCO definition of “chicken by-products” for example is “ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.” Now some of that stuff is OK – nothing wrong with chicken necks. But it is impossible to ascertain the quality and most of the ‘good stuff’ such as hearts, livers, and kidneys don’t go into by-products, they are useful elsewhere, unless the quality is too low. By-products are really those parts that can’t be used anywhere else and a lot of it isn’t OK. Without any ability to determine quality, we prefer to avoid by-products.

Do not forget to look at the preservatives used. Some of these are carcinogenics. Some common cacinogenic preservatives to look for and avoid are: BHT, ethoxyquin, BHA and propylene glycol (a less toxic form of anti-freeze). Citric acid as a preservative can also be problematic as it dramatically increases the risk of bloat if the food is moistened before feeding (according to veterinary research). In our opinion, it is better to purchase a food using tocopherols, ascorbic acid (Vitamin E) or anti-oxidants such as rosemary extract. Better yet, purchase a food that doesn’t contain preservatives at all (there are a few).

We do not want to see any artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners added to the food.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

with things like corn, by-products, and (general) ANIMAL digest, I'd steer clear of that food.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM

Dogsforever, welcome to the board! I'm glad to hear that your puppy is doing well after suffering from parvo. He is very lucky to have you. I know that treating parvo can be very expensive not too mention what it can do to a puppy.

I don't like Beneful though. Having corn listed as its first ingredient is a huge no-no. Chicken-by-product is another huge no-no. There are way too many ingredients listed that I do not like. There are much better foods on the market that many on this board would highly recommend.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM

Since dogs don't actually benefit from corn, your dog is probably not getting the most out of his diet that he could. If your budget allows, try to get a food that has a specific meat as the first ingredient (like chicken meal, salmon meal, turkey meal, etc).
Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM

well if you look at the ingredient list for wolfcub by solid gold, you'll see why people (prin) might prefer it to beneful:

Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

or the Nutrient Dense Lamb, Barley and Apples Formula™ from Timberwolf (for adult dogs I'm assuming):

Lamb, Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal, Salmon, Whole Ground Oats, Whole Ground Barley, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Whole Ground Flaxseed, Unrefined Walnut Oil, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Dried Goat’s Milk, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Wild Salmon Oil, Cottage Cheese, Potassium Chloride, Rosemary, Apples, Cinnamon, Thyme, Dried Carrots, Anise Seed, Ginger Root, Basil, Dried Mint, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

And Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul™:

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I mean I can't even come close to understanding every ingredient but the general gist usually comes off in the first 10 or so ingredients...the ones I've listed above are just a few of a bunch of pretty good brands (there's like 10-25 if I recall correctly
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM

They say the bulk of the food is before the first fat, and in the case of Beneful, the good meat comes right after the fat, meaning there is VERY little of it in there- even less because the chicken is not dehydrated, so its mass will drop at least 80% during cooking. That means it falls even lower on the ingredient list.

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken

And the fact that there are two corns in the top 5 means that the food is very corn-based.

Just so you know, "animal fat" is any animal, including possibly dogs and cats... That applies to any non-specific meat, like "meat meal", or "animal meal". They have found traces of the drug used to euthanize pets in foods with unspecified meats... :sad:
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Honest Contributor

simple rule to live by: you get what you pay for. the cheaper the food, the cheaper and low-quality the ingredients and thus, the worse it is for your beloved pet forced to eat this garbage in a bag. dogs do not care for cute shapes and colors, sugars and salts and food dyes and rancid fat sprayed on these corn and peanut-hull nuggets not fit for a cow.

beneful is one of the crappiest dog foods on the market. i can't imagine why the government even allows the stuff to be manufactured and sold. oh wait... that is because the petfood industry is self-regulating... so they CAN.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:06 PM

You do get what you pay for, but the better the food, the less you feed, so a $30 bag is not much cheaper than a $60 bag because the $60 bag will last quite a bit longer.
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Honest Contributor

prin of course

What i meant was, if you expect quality out of a 20lbs bag of Purina for $14.99... you're having the wool pulled over your eyes

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I switched to Wellness Super5mix and my dog just loves it. Your dog will enjoy the food more because the food will smell and taste more like well food.

One of Wellness' first ingredients is deboned chicken.

I even tried weening him on but he picks the new food out and leaves the old food in there. When we brought the bag in he attacked it as if he had never been fed and now goes and tries to knock the bag over for a refill. He never paid any mind to the old food. And Prin is right he eats less of it/ I think his old food called for 3 3/4 cups and this one calls for 2 1/2 cups.

I think the lrg bag of food was 54 before tax and the old food was 45 before tax. Definantly save more money and my dog is clearly happier for it!

Buti ts also what you can afford. The best thing you can do is read up on dog food info and try your bestto find something that is healthy and fits your budget. No pressure ofcourse
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Not-so-senior member

If I had to pick a grocery store food for my dogs, this would not be the food. Even Purina One or ProPlan list a real meat as the first ingredient and I would have to guess that the price would be about the same.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807