Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Question Toy Recommendations?

Our Golden needs some new toys. She seems pretty bored with the toys she has right now. We have a hard time finding toys for her, because she wrecks them so easily.

Aside from the obvious retrieving, she loves to chew, play tug-a-war, and to run around shaking floppy toys in her mouth. Right now she has:
- a few kongs & kong type toys
- a treat ball
- some indesctructible rubber balls
- a frisbee
- a stuffed rabbit that's only got a few more days to live.

She loves rope toys, but rips them up way too quickly. Also, she likes to chew on rawhide, but she goes through them quite quickly. She really seems to like stuffed animals, but they don't last long, and if they have a squeaker in them, she feels the need to kill the squeaker ASAP.

So, that being said, any suggestions for durable, inexpensive, and fun toys are welcome!
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi there what a great question

Is your poochie playful or just bored or wanting more exercise?
Is this for when you aren't home or just for every day stuff?

I'd be careful with those rawhides, try CET chews instead they're much better for your dogs digestive system and clean the teeth at the same time.

Toys are always an issue for larger dogs because they have stronger jaws and seem to 'destroy' them so easily.

There are some great road hockey balls that you can get they're orange'ish florescent and they make great toys as well as super duper rubber balls with little nubs on them that have bells inside and jingle as they roll etc....

As for home made stuff or unique things .... maybe your dog can be happier 'learning' new tricks etc.... rather then boring toys all the time. Perhaps an agility type class, some things to run through, jump over etc...

Luba
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Smile

Hi Luba

I think she's just bored with her current selection of toys. She's so excited when she gets something new to play with, but unfortunately her new toys never last long, and she seems to be tired of the ones that have lasted.

She gets plenty of excercise, between our daily walks, time in the backyard, and weekly trips to the dog park. Basically I think she'd just like something new and interesting to play with for those times where we can't pay attention to her (i.e. making dinner, getting ready for work).
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:05 PM

If you are looking for a toy that is relatively indestructable, try the Nylabone Gallileo. Our pit mix usually makes short work of most toys, but she's had the gallileo for about 3 weeks now and its still in one piece. It is not uncommon for her to take this and sit around for an hour or so just chewing on it and watching us move around the house.

Be carefull with something like a street hockey or tennis ball. I read somewhere that if a dog can fit the ball in it's mouth, it can swallow the ball and choke on it. I don't remember where I read that, but I spoke with the trainer that we are using and she said it is something to be careful about.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Well there is something I give my dogs to chew on but I'm not sure you have them there.They smoked ham bones.They are a fair size.And I swear some of them are the whole pigs leg.And damn do they ever smell good.There are times that I look at them and think,hmmmmmm dinner for hubby.Hehehehehehe...I get them at the pet store.I get the big ones for my guys and they just love them..They chew on them for hours.And they are German Shepherds.
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Never heard of a dog swallowing a tennis/street hockey ball really. But Golf Balls for sure! So they're not a wise choice, though dogs usually love them when they find them in parks etc..

Good luck with the task at hand