Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 26th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Bitch on heat 3 months after her first heat

Hi all, just a quick question - could my bull terrier bitch who is now 9 1/2 molnths old have a hormone problem .. She caem on heat for the first time at 6 months.. her teats were swollen and so forth for a good few weeks afterwards (vet said false pregnancy as did breeders). Saturday she started to bleed again - we asked breeder (not her breeder) of bullies if this was normal - as we thought and had been told - one heat every six months. Breeder said could be a hormone imbalance - another breeder has experienced this but she had notwith her bitches. We phoned our vet friend and he said get her spayed - we don't want to at this stage as she has been entered in breed shows and she is a good looking (very good type) female, we have high hopes for her. Has anyone got suggestions (other than spaying not the option we really want to take for reason explained) as to how we can handle this - we are taking her to the vet tonight ... but I would like to know of any homeopathic way perhaps of getting her back on track . She is a very 'dominant' bitch as well. Not sure what else to tell u about her.. but like I say any advice would be useful.
many thanks
Sue
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Hi and welcome to the board!

It is not normal for a female to come into heat again three months later. They usually have heats every 6 months or so. Glad to hear that you will be having her examined by a vet. This would be a great idea to rule out any infections or other serious problem. I would see what the vet says and recommends and then go from there. I believe that is the best bet. Your breeder may have some suggestions as well based on the vet's examination.

I would love to see pictures of your bull terrier. They are one of my favourite breeds. Is she a white bully or coloured?

Please keep us updated.