Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM

Need help! Dog peeing in house.

Our dog is 17 months old and for most part was house broken. We had her spayed a month ago and now she pee's in the house in various places. Vet say she is OK medically speaking. We have not really had any changes in the home lately. She has use of a dog door and uses it most of the time, though she sometimes does not make out of the garage. Wife has found pee spot and we also get poop on carpet, but rarely. We never catch her and when we do she is punished. She know she is in trouble when we find it and hide under bed. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM

The vet says that she is ok medically but......
Did they perform a urinalysis and did they check for spay incontinence? Those are the two most common medical reasons for peeing in the house.

If it is not one of those your issue is behaviour related and you need to consult a behaviourist
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory_W
Our dog is 17 months old and for most part was house broken. We had her spayed a month ago and now she pee's in the house in various places. Vet say she is OK medically speaking. We have not really had any changes in the home lately. She has use of a dog door and uses it most of the time, though she sometimes does not make out of the garage. Wife has found pee spot and we also get poop on carpet, but rarely. We never catch her and when we do she is punished. She know she is in trouble when we find it and hide under bed. Any help would be appreciated.

Punishing a dog after the fact does no good because the dog is unable to understand why it is being punished and can result in anxiety disordersm they are unable to make the connection back to when they peed, inorder to housetrain, you must catch the dog in the act for correction to be effective.

It's good that you went to the vet and ruled out medical causes such as an UTI, spay incontinence can easily indentified because the dog will also leak when they are asleep.

To effectively housetrain, your pet needs to learn that the entire house is their den. So the first thing that needs to be done is all smell of urine and feces in the must be eliminated using an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or even water vinegar can be effective, if you want to be sure you got it all, use a black lite it will show areas that are not thoroughly cleaned, any smell that exists will only serve to lure the dog back to using the same spot.

The next step is the key, while training the dog must be caught in any attempted act, they cannot be allowed an opportunity to wander off somewhere to eliminate in the house. That means when you are unable to closely supervise, the dog should be contained in a crate or babygated in a small area, other than when I sleep the dog in coinfined in my bedroom by closing the door or with use of a baby gate, when you are able to work on the house training the dog must not have an opportunity to wander off out of your sigfht where yoiu can catch them should they try to go, there are 2 methods you can use, one being to leash the dog to you and the other is containing the dog to the same room as you by means of a babygate, now you watch the dog if it makes an attemp to lift its leg or squat to pee , a stern verbal correct is given you go directly to the dog take it by the collar, push down the leg or bring it up out of the squat(never strike or hit the dog, physical punishment should never be used as it can lead to fear biting) and take the dog immediately outside and stay with him or her until they eliminate, praise/reward the dog for going, and then bring the dog inside, keep this up until you have 2 weeks of no accidents, in all areas of the house. If you only train the dog in certain rooms or parts of the house the dog will not understand that the rules also applies to those areas where you haven't done training in, so they could instead use those areas. In this period don;t use the dog door it is important during the training period that you go out with the dog and are there to reward the dog for doing his eliminations outside, once the training of the whole house has been completed and you can two weeks of success than let the dog use the door watch if you can from a window and praise the dog when they eliminate.

Now on to training the dog to do the same when you are not home,
If your dogs suffers from seperation anxiety (a panic disorder when you leave) the stress caused from the SA will cause the dog to have strong muscle contractions and therefore lose control of their bowels and bladder within normally 20 minutes of your leaving , if this is the case the below mentioned will not work you would have to first deal with the SA)

When I start my initial training above I pick a location to place the crate in where I can gradually increase roaming space by opening doors or placement of a babygate, So in my house for example I use a hallway to place the crate in that leads to bedrooms and livingroom. THe dog is started off in the crate while all the above training is going on, when I have finished the training I start by leave the door to the crate open but contain the dog to the hallway only using a babygate and doors to the bedrooms closed, if I have a successful week I open one bedroom door the one that the dog sleeps in at night(make sure the room is dog proofed as in nothing is out that can get into that may be dangerous) if successful after a week I give the dog another room if unsuccessful I decrease space for a while longer and try again, Any accidents are alway thoroughly cleaned to ensure the dog is not attracted back to using the same spot.

I use have used this method successfully for housetraining retired greyhounds that have come off the track and have never been inside a house before, because I do not allow them opportunties to make unnoticed mistakes right from day 1. I can normally speed up the training have them trained within a month and ready to go to their new homes, with instructions to new owners to supervise closely for the first while since the dog does needs to learn that their house has the same rules. Because your dog has learned to use your home as a potty area it will take longer so do not try to rush the training as suggested above