Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:16 AM

Question Happy ending to potential disaster, but....

A couple of days ago, one of my two indoor cats managed to run off, leaving me bummed and his brother very whiny and attention-starved.

Tonight, after about two and a half days, he found his way home, and there was much rejoicing. Apart from being a little damp and hungry, he seemed none the worse for his experience. Same little fella.

Thing is, his brother is very offish around him now, hissing and growling, when they used to be the happiest of playmates. I can't imagine he would have forgotten all about him in less than three days. The only thing I can think of is that the little runaway maybe came home with some weird new smells on him that his brother doesn't like or something. What does anyone else think? Will they go back to being friends? Certainly don't want to see the family broken up here!
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Hmm, you may be right about the smell...how old are they and are they neutered? Perhaps the escapee was around a female cat in heat...?

Or maybe he was hunting and just has some very strange odors around him. Or maybe the stay at home brother is just plain jealous! I had a dog who would get real snippy when I came back with one dog, having left her behind. I swear she was jealous.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it's the smell. Your cat who was out now smells like a different cat to your other one!

Take a towel that you have used and alternate rubbing both of them with it. You might even rub a little tuna juice on both of them. Hopefully they will lick it off each other and by the time they finish, they will be friends again!

Let us know if that works (give it a few days) If not, I have more suggestions. Do not try and force them.
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Talking All is well

Well, it took a couple of days, but the brothers are back to their normal, playful, huggy, mischievous selves. I did try the tuna juice trick, heh heh, and that actually worked. But I think mainly what was need was for the runaway to be back home for a few days, the strange smells to wear off, and presto, all is well. Thanks to those who offered tips.