Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old November 19th, 2003, 08:05 PM

Ruger our German Shepard

This is our German Shepard, his name is Ruger. He'll be 3yrs. old in Dec. 2003.
Attached Images

Old November 20th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Ruger looks very handsome. Sending you birthday wishes.
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Thank you. He's a good dog also. Very good guard dog and very protective. He barks at everything. I don't know if that is good or bad that he barks at everything. Good I suppose.
Old November 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

He's cute!
My Cooper will be three on January 4, 2004.
Old November 21st, 2003, 11:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Nice picture of puppy!

Looks like he's a good size shep too!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:01 PM

Thank you. I wish I could've gotton a better picture of him. I'll have to try again. Thank God for digital cameras.

I thought he's supposed to be bigger. I've seen alot of German Shepards who are huge.

Is Cooper the only dog you have?? Our Ruger seems to be very jealous of our Thor.
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Wow what a beauty.I have a 7 year old named Yukon.He is my second Shepherd.I love the breed.Always have and always will.They are great dogs.
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I wanted a better look so I lightened the picture up a bit
hope you don't mind

Here it is

Attached Images

Old December 6th, 2003, 09:11 AM

I don't mind at all Luba. Thanks, it looks good.
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:14 AM

mona_b do you have a picture of your Shepard??

Is your Shepard very hyper? Ours is especially when we have company. He's excellent around our children and he puts up with them.
Old December 6th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

daisy18216..He's not hyper at all.He is a bit of a barker.And is also very protective.We also have another one.We got resently.He was my brothers partner.But they had to retire him.So we took him in.And he now has another one that is finishing his training for the force.This is a pic of my Yukon.I don't have a pic of Tron as of yet.But I will hope to have one soon.
Attached Images

Old December 6th, 2003, 06:49 PM

He's a beautiful Shepard.

Ours is also very protective with some police training also. He barks at everything (even the wind).

That's a good thing I suppose, at least I know he's alert.
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you.He's my baby.I have always loved the breed and have always owned them.So has some of my relatives.They are such good dogs.So does Ruger start jumping on company when they come over?Is that what you mean by hyper?
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Talking

Oh they are beautiful doggies indeed

I love the pictures
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:34 PM

Yes, Ruger does jump on my company. He does it for a couple of minutes, then he calms down.

He is very jealous of our other dogs when there is company over. He chases them away from whoever is at our house (he wants all the attention). Then again after awhile he stops and lays down.

How is Yukon when you take him for a walk? Does he pull alot? And is it more like he's taking you for a walk?
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM

How much does Yukon weigh??
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile

Thank you Luba.
Yukon is great to take out.He heels on my left side.He was so easy to train.Never has pulled me.I started his basic training early.The sit,stay,and down.Then I started his heeling.He was about 4 months for that.I did all the training.I see Ruger loves the attention.How is he with the other dogs though?Do they all get allong?Yukon and Tron get along great.I had Tron for his first 18months.Then he was sent with my brother for the training on the force.They don't train them under the age of 18 months for police work.And Yukon and Tron are I guess you would say cousins.LOL.And for both of them being 7 and both males.There has never been a problem.They are great together.
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM

Ruger is fine when my husband is walking him, but he pulls alot for me at first.

He's fine w/our dogs. He loves playing with Petie (our Pit Bull) they play so well together. Ruger is older than Petie. They are best friends.

Ruger is jealous of Thor (our Pit Bull Mix). Sometimes when I'm relaxing on the couch, Thor will come and lay next to me. Ruger will get mad, and sometimes bark or try to pull his collar to get him away from me. They don't fight.

None of our dogs fight with on another. They are all males. Thor is neutured. Petie is getting neutured.

Ruger is 3 yrs. old. How much does Yukon weighs? Ruger is 67 lbs. when we took him to the vet. I asked her if he's suppose to weigh more she said that he's fine and in very good health. Just the way he is. If I try to feed him more then he'll get fat.

I thought he was suppose to be bigger. I see alot of German Shepards that are huge. From your picture it looks like Ruger and Yukon are about the same weight or around the same weight.

We were going to take Ruger back to finish his police training, but we were unable to.
Old December 6th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yukon is 90lbs...Tron is 130lbs.He is all muscle.Shepherds vary in weight.Males average 75 to 80lbs.And they average in size too.Yukon is 26inches and Tron is 28inches.And Tron was a canine cop.My brother is a cop and Tron was his partner.But Tron had to be retired.And my brother had the option of keeping him.But since he has another partner to train,he had no room.And since Tron was mine in the beggining,they let me keep him.I can tell Trom misses his job,but we keep him busy and he has Yukon to bug.
Old December 6th, 2003, 11:22 PM

If you don't mind me asking why did Tron have to retire??

How's your brother doing w/his new partner??

Are you going to post a picture of Tron? Do you have any problems with him since his retirement from the job?
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Tron had to retire cause he has a bit of arthritis.And he was slowing down.The vet has him on Shark Cartilidge.He's not in any pain.Just slowing down.My brother is doing well with his soon to be partner Dante.They have their final exam in Feb.Then we will know if Dante passes and becomes Johns partner.He has been doing a bit of whinning.But he's getting better.I think he knows that i'm still his mommy.It's just that he was a canine cop for about 5 years.He'll be ok though.He gets lots of love from us.And Yukon keeps him on his toes.
Here is a pic of Tron.My brother emailed it to me.
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, Mona - what absolutely gorgeous dogs! Both of them.

There's a woman near me who has some beautiful GSDs...she breeds maybe one litter every other year. Her foundation sire is a German import; she tries to breed for the "old style" Shepherds with strong working drives. I've met her at some obedience classes and met her dogs, they are very calm & friendly.

I think a well bred GSD is a beautiful dog! But I'm kind of hooked on Rottweilers...
I know I've posted this before, but it's the only ones I have (must ask Santa for a digital camera.) There's also some pics on my site.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53953269stVhEq

This is my favourite, Cooper. He was 20 months old there, he's bulked up a bit since & his coat is heavier. He's a very cool dog.
Old December 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Carina.Our breeder had done the same.Keeping the old style around.She has been breeding over 20 years.And trust me,she doesn't give her pups to just anyone.She screens you big time.I also love the rotties.They are beautifuls dogs.And is Cooper ever gorgeous.Very nice.He is a very healthy looking dog.That's what I like to see.The other breed I love is Great Danes.My aunt used to breed them many moons ago.My best friend owns one.They too are great dogs.

Hmmmm maybe if Santa knows you have been good he will get you a digital.
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Luba loves pictures of doggies

They're beautiful

I had a GSD, King Sheppard named Bear in the early part of the 90's. We raised him for a few months until he was old enough to commence his police dog training.

He was one smart puppy! I should scan a picture of him and Rusty in together at Christmas...they're both so cute (project to do list)

Luba
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking

Yes Luba they are smart cookies.Easily trained too.I hope Dante passes.He should.He has been doing amazingly well.I would love to see a pic.Mona loves doggie pics too.
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Tron is gorgeous!! I love his colors (and Yukon's too).

Keep me updated and let me know if Dante's going to be your brother's new partner.

Good Luck to your brother and Dante.

Did your brother teach them any commands in German??

Ruger was taught to stay, sit, lay down, heal in German (he also knows it in English).

My 5 yr. old daughter will tell Ruger to plotz (don't know if I spelled it right that means lay down) and he'll do it. Sometimes I'm telling him to plotz a couple of times before he listens to me. I thought that was funny that I'll tell him and it'll take a couple of times till he listens to me, then my daughter will say it once and he'll do it. He gets stubborn at times.

We were hoping to have Ruger be my husband's partner. I think it's to late now for him to go back to training. My husband would love to be a K9 Police Officer. He's a police officer now he enjoys his career, but I know he would like to have Ruger by his side.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Smile

Thank you daisy for the compliment.I appreciate that.I will let you know how Dante does.Yes he does speak german to him.They had to when they did the shultzhund training.Yeah I laughed hearing that Ruger listened more to your 5 year old.LOL.With the canine unit they take the dogs in at 18 months.This way they are older and will pay more attention.They go through extreme training.These dogs are not theirs.They are given to them at that age.So Ruger wouldn't be your husbands partner if he was in the canine unit.And with him being hyper,he would not pass.Once a dog makes it on the force,then they bring them home with them every night.So at Ruger's age,no he wouldn't make it.He's to old even though he is 3...18 months is when training starts.But I am sure your husband would love to have Ruger by his side.And there have been some that have failed.But they go to great homes.And become part of the family.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Your Welcome.

Our cousin (my husband's cousin) is a K9 Police Officer and he uses his German Shepard (Bart). He is a gorgeous all Black German Shepard. This was the first time I ever saw an all black GS.

I asked my husband if Bart was his cousin's or someone else's and he said Bart is his cousin's. Bart might have to retire though, only b/c our cousin passed the State Police test and is going to the State Police Academy whenthe next class starts.

I'm not sure if he is going to be going to the K9 Unit or the regular police force.

His cousin has 5 GS all together. Right now Bart is the only K9 Police Dog. He does want to make his puppy (whenold enough) a K9 dog. he was talking about it, not sure if he is going to do it.

My husband would like to get another GS some day (maybe to work w/him on the Police Force). He wants an all black one or one like yours (light coloring on face). Ruger's face is dark.

Ruger just wants to show my daughter that he too doesn't listen to me whenhe doesn't want to.

It's a conspiracy. hahahaha
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes the pure black ones are beautiful.One of my sisters had one many years ago.His name was bear.Have you ever seen a pure white one?They are very nice looking.
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Yes, I have seen a pure white one. They are beautiful. One of our family members had a white one years ago (she passed on). They said that the pure white ones are the most difficult. I don't remember why.