Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:12 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey sleeping in my bed

I have been letting Joey sleep in my bed the past couple of nights, but alas I think I need to stop this now.

Last night when my hubby came home - Joey started growling and barking at him - when he told him no he just kept continuing. So I got up and called Joey to his bed and made him sleep there instead.

Apparently too there were issues in Joeys former home which would contribute to this behavior. Joey is fine with my husband during the day. Last night and this time
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24203 are the only times he has growled or barked at my husband.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Unfortunately, Joey just lost his right to your bed.. That's typically a no no with spaniels particuliarly if they already have a few alpha tendencies.. he doesn't see your husband as the male alpha in the house.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM
-

Letting dogs sleep in your bed can be fine as long as you are the one making the decision not him and it should be set up so that you may invite him to sleep in your bed and maybe tomorrow you say, not tonight sleep in your own bed.

The problem that can happen that you have already seen would be and is a reason why I may not let them sleep in the bed.

The scenerio that I use is say your dog goes to bed with both of you and everything is fine and then for whatever reason someone comes to bed late and the dog says I don't think so, you are not getting in this bed. If you see this behaviour I would say no sharing the bed with the dog.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM

I made a compromise with Charley. When we're at my house he goes to bed in his crate (with the door open). Around 4 am he'll ask to come up (sticks front paws up on bed, whines, then sits on the floor.) and sometimes I say yes and pick him up (he's too small to jump up on his own), sometimes I say no and he goes back to his crate. At my boyfriend's he sleeps in his crate at the foot of the bed with the door open and is more than happy to stay there for the night.
While he wouldn't chase my boyfriend out of the room, he used to chase the cats off the bed, and that is not a fight I wanted to fight in the dead of the night. By telling him no more often that I said yes he learned that the bed was mine and who ever I wanted up on it was going to have to be ok with him otherwise it was back to the crate.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:12 PM

Absolutely in agreement with PetFriendly. After I was certain that Harley was fully housebroken, I was prone to often letting her sleep on the bed with me. That was right up until she started to view that as her space and help herself to it without an invitation. Needlessly to say, she was booted out of the bed and not allowed back on for quite awhile.

Now I always make a point of letting her "in bed" days be few and far between. It has made such a difference. She's so good about it, you know she wants to jump up but just won't do it until I tell her it's okay.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Remember the bed itself is not the issue - it is a symptom of the relationship. Changing the bed rules can be neccessary for the time being but you need to re-examine your relationship. Everything belongs to the leader and that includes the bed.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended