Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
teddybear1003 teddybear1003 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 10
A few more questions

Ok, I have Charlie a 10 week old mini dachsund/yorkie mix and still have a few more questions. I've been writing them down as I think of them so I can ask the vet when he goes back but if you could help me that would be great. As far as a feeding schedule, how does that work? Do I just feed him at the same time each day? What if he doesn't eat all the food I give him, do I put it away until next time or just let it stay in his bowl. Can someone give me an example of the type of schedule you had your puppy on. Also a question about puppy pads. We live in an apartment but I take him out to our little yard to go potty about every hour. Sometimes he gets to afraid to go because of kids running around, or other noises and he just wants to bolt for the door. I'm trying to get him use to all these noises, plus he doesn't want to go out in the rain. So I put one of those pads on our covered patio for him to use in those situations. He has only used it once. Am I confusing him? Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Lucky Rescue Lucky Rescue is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,287
Quote:
Do I just feed him at the same time each day?
Yes.

Quote:
What if he doesn't eat all the food I give him, do I put it away until next time
Yes.

Quote:
I'm trying to get him use to all these noises, plus he doesn't want to go out in the rain. So I put one of those pads on our covered patio for him to use in those situations. He has only used it once. Am I confusing him?
Yes, you are confusing him. You need to get him used to other people, kids, dogs etc gradually so he'll be well socialized.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM
jessi76's Avatar
jessi76 jessi76 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.S.
Posts: 2,510
congrats on the new pup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear1003
As far as a feeding schedule, how does that work? Do I just feed him at the same time each day? What if he doesn't eat all the food I give him, do I put it away until next time or just let it stay in his bowl. Can someone give me an example of the type of schedule you had your puppy on.
I dont' have a small dog, so not sure I can help much, but yes, I'd feed the same time each day - you want to develop a routine. If he doesn't eat it all, I'd pick it up. If it can be saved for the next meal, do so. You may want to give less food next time (less waste).

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear1003
Also a question about puppy pads. We live in an apartment but I take him out to our little yard to go potty about every hour. Sometimes he gets to afraid to go because of kids running around, or other noises and he just wants to bolt for the door. I'm trying to get him use to all these noises, plus he doesn't want to go out in the rain. So I put one of those pads on our covered patio for him to use in those situations. He has only used it once. Am I confusing him? Thanks for all your help.
Is there a corner of this small yard that is semi-quiet? I'd try to take him to the same area each time - I found it helped if my pup smelled where he went 2 hrs ago - it encouraged him to go again - in that area. (also easier to clean up if it's all in one small area)

I think the pads may confuse him. The key is consistancy. My dog didn't like the rain either, I just made a HUGE deal of it when he did go out in the rain - lots of praise... treats... like it was the best thing in the world. He still hates it, but knows he has to endure it to go to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.