Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
Does anyone find it bizarre that a tiny puppy can be outside for 45 minutes and not at least pee?

My 6 year old dog will pee several times when I'm out in the yard with her for way less time....

Im sorry lucky that ive given myself a bad impression. I understand that you are a dog lover, I admitted my mistakes and if you cant accept that then im sorry. If all your gonna do is criticize me and put me down, then i dont want your help or advice. I'll take the others. Maybe she is peeing, i dunno. But she is always sitting down. Could she possibly be peeing instead of sitting MAYBE but i cant tell. Looks like shes sitting to me. I can tell the difference in sitting and squatting.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
-

She should only be in the crate when you are not able to supervise her. If it is sleep time, crate, going out, crate, making dinner, crate.
When you are able to watch her every move let her out but make sure that she remains in the same room as you. She should not be able to leave your sight.
When you take her out to the washroom she should go within the first few minutes you are out there. If she doesn't then bring her in (without punishment) and place her into her crate. Wait 20 minutes and try again. If she does go then she should be allowed to stay out and play for awhile. If she doesn't back to the crate for another 20 minutes and then try again.

If she is having accidents inside the crate she is either staying in too long or the crate is too large. She should have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down. If she has any extra room then it is too big and needs to be blocked off.

She can be fed inside the crate but the food should not be left in there.

She should have to go as soon as she wakes from any sleep or nap, between 5 and 20 minutes after eating and during/ after play. During play tends to be the one that causes the most trouble.

She should also be leashed every time you take her to the washroom and her meals should be scheduled not left out all the time. Make sure you clean the accidents with enzyme cleaner.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
She should only be in the crate when you are not able to supervise her. If it is sleep time, crate, going out, crate, making dinner, crate.
When you are able to watch her every move let her out but make sure that she remains in the same room as you. She should not be able to leave your sight.
When you take her out to the washroom she should go within the first few minutes you are out there. If she doesn't then bring her in (without punishment) and place her into her crate. Wait 20 minutes and try again. If she does go then she should be allowed to stay out and play for awhile. If she doesn't back to the crate for another 20 minutes and then try again.

If she is having accidents inside the crate she is either staying in too long or the crate is too large. She should have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down. If she has any extra room then it is too big and needs to be blocked off.

She can be fed inside the crate but the food should not be left in there.

She should have to go as soon as she wakes from any sleep or nap, between 5 and 20 minutes after eating and during/ after play. During play tends to be the one that causes the most trouble.

She should also be leashed every time you take her to the washroom and her meals should be scheduled not left out all the time. Make sure you clean the accidents with enzyme cleaner.

Thank you so much Stacey for the positive advice and remarks. Like i said, if i didnt care i wouldnt be on here asking for help. Lucky is making me out to be a monster, and i know ive made mistakes with past dogs, but i wanna make this time work, and im going to make it work. I just need help. Im just having alot of problems with not being able to get her to go outside. Dh said that he noticed that her towel in her box has been wet. SO apparently shes not going outside, she is peeing in her box. And her box is jsut the right size for her, its not big at all. Its just enough room for her to turn around and lay down in. Although I'll admitt she is in her box from like 9-10 till like 5 in the morning. Is that too long for her. She doesnt whine or nothing wanting out. She has the past two nights at about 5 in the morning wanting out, and i get up to let her out and i cannot get her to go. Maybe she is peeing in her box right before i get to her in time, thats prolly why i cannot get her to go maybe??? I'll admitt, i think ive been leaving her in her box too much. But thats what i was told to do. Now i know that is a NO NO... Thank you so much for the help and advice. Although im prolly gonna be asking alot more questions if you dont mind me asking.
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

My intent is not to make you feel like a "monster". My intent is to try and save yet another puppy from being gotten "rid of" for no reason since you say you have done this to "about" 4 others.

I have given you helpful links and advice. You haven't indicated if you even looked at them. Have you? There is a lot of good advice there.

I am truly wondering how a puppy can be outside all that time and not pee. It just doesn't seem possible to me and I think it's a legit question.
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I have never trained a puppy, I have always adopted older dogs, but I heard if the puppy goes in the house, pick it up and take it and the puppy outside and let the puppy smell it. It is supposed to show the puppy where he is supposed to go. I don't know if this works or not.
Patches - Diluted Torti
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Jeannie,
Definitely it is too long for a puppy to be in the crate. the puppy wants to be with you (and you should want the puppy to be with you) as much as possible! But, the key is that she should never be out of sight. This may help: get a long leash ( 6 ft) and clip it to your belt and to her collar. Then, she can wander a bit but still has to stay close to you. If you see her sniffing at the ground or trying to walk away from you, take her outside. Take her, not send her. With her tied to you, you'll notice a lot more quickly her patterns.
I have a 16 week old boxer puppy. she is still learning. This week she is finally asking to go out. It takes a LOT of work for some puppies (my other dog was born trained somehow... he just knew to go out at 6 weeks and never had accidents...lucky me!) BUt other puppies take time and patience and lots of cleaner.
Try Nature's Miracle- an enzymatic cleaner. That gets rid of the pee smell even for pup's sensitive nose, so the dog doesn't get a habit of peeing inside in the same place.
Good luck and good for you for recognizing that you need help with this. I forget how old your older kids are, but they could help you with the training. I do feel very sorry for your other dogs, but we have all made mistakes somewhere along the line.
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
My intent is not to make you feel like a "monster". My intent is to try and save yet another puppy from being gotten "rid of" for no reason since you say you have done this to "about" 4 others.

I have given you helpful links and advice. You haven't indicated if you even looked at them. Have you? There is a lot of good advice there.

I am truly wondering how a puppy can be outside all that time and not pee. It just doesn't seem possible to me and I think it's a legit question.

If you will read in one of my past posts, i said that i read them. But it didnt really answer the questions i had. Some it did, and some it didnt. But im getting there. I swear i am telling the truth about her not peeing when i take her out. She goes out there and sits or flops down and i cannot get her to get up and go poop or even PEE!!! Even when hubby takes her out, he says she does the same thing to him. Shes peeing in her box is what it is, and when we take her out she doesnt have to go cause she peed in her box. Its the onlything i can think of why shes not going outside.
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM

She has just started whinning recently when in her box at night. I mean all night long. How do i get her to stop this. Our house is small and its not like i can put her at the other end of the house. WE have no garrage or anything. Ive tried covering her up, but she dont stop. we take her out every 20 mins if she dont go an put her back in her box then wait 20 mins and over and over. But even if she does go, and we put her in her box (this is like 4-5 in the morning) she still whines. What do i do?? she is waking everyone up in the house. I dont know if this was a no no, but, we couldnt get her to shut up, so i told hubby to put her in the bed with us last night, and she went right to sleep. She slept with us the rest of the night. Is this a no no????
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Another thing too, this morning Valentine had her paws wrapped around my 4 year old and was humping away. She goes Mom what is she doing lol. Why is she doing this, shes a FEMALE???? And this early already??? Why do female dogs "HUMP"???
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Wearing her out before bed should help with the whining. Other then that, the only thing you can really do is ignore her. Once she figures out that whining doesn't get her the attention she wants, she should stop.

"Humping" isn't about sex. It is about dominance. Corrections are the key.

Next time you are out, swing by the bookstore and pick up a copy of "Labradors for Dummies." You can also order it online from Borders, I am sure. Labs and Goldens are a lot alike, temperment wise, so this book should be of help. It will offer help in just about all areas from housebreaking to chewing.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM

When she pees outside, do you praise her? Otherwise, the fact that she peed once or twice outside is probably just a fluke. And if in the 45 mins you're standing there in the cold you decide to yell at her once in a while to pee already, then you'll regress in the training very quickly.

Don't forget that labs are social doggies. They live for their people. The more people she is around now, the better she will be around people later. Being in a 'box' all day is really bad for her socialization...
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hi,
I have 5 children: 13, 8, 5 and 1 year old twins! We just got our very first puppy about 6 weeks ago. I did major research before going through with buying a dog as I knew it was a good 15 year commitment. A dog is much different than a bird or a cat and they get very attached to their families.
Anyway, my husband doesn't help out at all, he works long hours.
I knew the training would be the big obstacle for me (the worst part) but it was important for me to get a puppy to raise well from the start.
So I crate trained him and it was SO successful. It was hard the first weeks as I personally took him outside every hour, sometimes more, so he could go to the bathroom and get used to what 'outside' was for. LOT'S of praise was given. We didn't have many accidents maybe 1-2 a week and that was just because he didn't yet know how to 'tell' us when he had to 'go'. He never went to the bathroom in the crate which is why crate training works so well. I never left him alone when he was out of the crate and not for long periods.
It took a good month of this and now he is 100% housebroken. Hard work but worth it as he is our little angel. He will stand at the back door when he has to go to the bathroom and will not have an accident in the house. Therefore, he has earned his freedom! He only goes in his crate at night and when we are not home. Otherwise, he is free.
Good Luck. Lot's of consistency, praise and patience.
Stacey
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Are you cleaning out her crate/ box when she has an accident in there? If not, I strongly advise you should because that's probably why your puppy keeps peeing in the crate and not outside. Her scent is in the crate, not outside. I would suggest going out to buy a solution designed especially to get the scent out.. simply using water will not work. Please don't use soaps/ cleaning agents - the chemicals can be harmful to your puppy.

As for spending 45 mins outside with her and not having her pee, that's probably because that's the most time she gets around you. It's almost like that's her "bonding" time with you and she's trying to savour it before she goes back inside, into her box.

You know, reading your posts are really breaking my heart! Things like keeping the puppy in the crate for majority of the day/ night. If that was your intention, why did you bother getting a dog? Treat your puppy as if he/she was one of your children. They really require that much dedication and love! It doesn't seem like you are showing your puppy much affection through this whole process. You just got the puppy, you need to introduce the puppy to its new environment and family, not the create.

I'm not saying that I was the greatest puppy mom either but when we got Chloe, my husband and I took a week off work just to help her adjust to our family and home. In the mornings, I would wake up at 4:30am, take her outside and spend the next two hours playing with her and massaging her/ showing her affection before going to work. Of course I am probably an "extreme" but I can't stress how important it is that you treat your puppy as part of your family.

I can only re-iterate the comments of the members of this board. Read the links/ sites/ articles people have provided you. Stop wasting time sitting around trying to figure out why everything is going wrong. Inform yourself, get knowledgable, be proactive instead of reactive.

Good luck with your puppy. If you don't start developing more patience for this puppy, you`re going to have an even harder time when she`s older. Labs are even more energetic and active as they get older but they can be so loyal and gentle if brought up with the right mix of love, attention and patience.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Also, what kind of 'box' are you using? Is it an actual box or a crate? A crate feels cozy like a den and it is plastic so you can give it a good cleaning if there is an accident to take away the smell. Do you have a blanket in there too? A cardboard box isn't appropriate as it isn't like a den and once soiled would retain the stench. I think you have to take her out much more often then you'll catch her going pee and can go crazy with the praise.
Housebreaking is tough work!
Stacey
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesuoft
Are you cleaning out her crate/ box when she has an accident in there? If not, I strongly advise you should because that's probably why your puppy keeps peeing in the crate and not outside. Her scent is in the crate, not outside. I would suggest going out to buy a solution designed especially to get the scent out.. simply using water will not work. Please don't use soaps/ cleaning agents - the chemicals can be harmful to your puppy.

As for spending 45 mins outside with her and not having her pee, that's probably because that's the most time she gets around you. It's almost like that's her "bonding" time with you and she's trying to savour it before she goes back inside, into her box.

You know, reading your posts are really breaking my heart! Things like keeping the puppy in the crate for majority of the day/ night. If that was your intention, why did you bother getting a dog? Treat your puppy as if he/she was one of your children. They really require that much dedication and love! It doesn't seem like you are showing your puppy much affection through this whole process. You just got the puppy, you need to introduce the puppy to its new environment and family, not the create.

I'm not saying that I was the greatest puppy mom either but when we got Chloe, my husband and I took a week off work just to help her adjust to our family and home. In the mornings, I would wake up at 4:30am, take her outside and spend the next two hours playing with her and massaging her/ showing her affection before going to work. Of course I am probably an "extreme" but I can't stress how important it is that you treat your puppy as part of your family.

I can only re-iterate the comments of the members of this board. Read the links/ sites/ articles people have provided you. Stop wasting time sitting around trying to figure out why everything is going wrong. Inform yourself, get knowledgable, be proactive instead of reactive.

Good luck with your puppy. If you don't start developing more patience for this puppy, you`re going to have an even harder time when she`s older. Labs are even more energetic and active as they get older but they can be so loyal and gentle if brought up with the right mix of love, attention and patience.
I think thats one booboo where i went wrong. Ive been using like a shampoo to clean her box out, not a solution. Thats prolly why she keeps peein in her box. I am going to go out tonight and get some enzyme stuff everyone has been telling me about and see if that will stop her from peeing in her box. The past two days, the only time shes been in her box is at night time when we go to bed. She has been doing sooooo good. Although, i think she still has been peein in her box at night. But she dont always let me know when shes gotta go, or when she does i dont think i get to her in time. Im so proud of her, shes been doing soooo good. Still weve not had any accidents in the house yet (knock on wood) Its funny cause she follows me around the house and say like im at the stove cooking she will come by my feet and just lay there and sleep while im cooking. I love it, she is sooo sweet. I love her to death, and ive only had her 4 days. I think shes gonna turn out to be an awesome dog. Shes doing soo good. I know there are gonna be accidents but if i can help it im gonna try to prevent it. But i know its gonna happen. But im willing to deal with it. She has done soooo good today about going potty. Ive only had to stay out with her for the most 5-10 mins and she goes just like that now. I think shes starting to get the hang of it I hope. Yes, when she goes i give her lots of praises and its so sweet cause when i praise her she will come up and start licking me and her tail wags 50 mph. Its sooo sweet Just to let you know. I dont keep her in her box anymore. I was told to do that by a few others, but i learned that wasnt the way to do things. So like i said the only time shes in her box now is at bedtime or if im unable to watch her. Like im bathing my kids or something like that. Thats the only time. What i mean by box too, is she has a dog crate. The plastic ones. Its not in the best shape, but hey it works. im gonna get her a new one next week. I hope you didnt think i actually kept her in a box. NO, NO NO. I use a dog crate Im just glad she is doing much better. I think the first couple days she was scared and nervous, but shes getting the hang of things. Shes done soooo good today. Im proud of her. And my kids just love her to death. We all do. I think its gonna be a good turn out.
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Hi there,
First of all, kudos to sticking with us. A good sign that you are able to overcome adversity. Honestly, you have encountered almost every response I have thought of. Yes, people are going to be uptight that you have given up so quickly on other dogs, but now we see that you are willing to admit to past mistakes and want a fresh start. Here's your chance.
First things first. Take a deep breath. Relax. Give this pup a big hug and promise him that you will make every effort to teach him good manners and you will NEVER give up on him. You will forgive him for his mistakes because his mistakes are as much yours as they are his. Look deep into his eyes and know that you are his world and his very life depends on you. There are going to be good times and hard times - as with all of your relationships. There are going to be times when you want to give up and times when you can't imagine life without him. But giving up is no longer an option - just as it is not an option with your kids.
Next - map out your day. What do you need to do to be a good mom to your 1 year old and what do you need to do to be a good mom to your newest baby? They both need love, play time, food, drink and cleaning up (potty for the dog) and naps. You need to find a rhythm to your day and though no babies are predictable or stick to your schedule - you can learn to ebb and flow as they need you.
Know that hubby is no help at all and this is up to you. You agreed to take this on. Get any 'dummies' book on dogs (no insult intended - they are good books) and read it and get started.
This is your opportunity to be a great dog mom and to take pride in what you can do - not focus on how you messed up in the past. In your heart ask forgiveness from your past dogs and promise that what you did with them will not be repeated with this new little guy.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended

Last edited by tenderfoot; February 16th, 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
-

Since she is not spending much time in the crate during the day I would close the door so that she doesn't have access. You are going to have to keep a closer eye on her. If you see her heading towards the crate take her out. She shouldn't be sleeping with you. When she whines you need to ignore her if she has eaten, had a drink, exercise, etc. Same as a kid, make sure she has had everything she needed. If she has then you ignore her, don't speak to her at all, look at her, nothing. If you give her attention then she will never stop.

You need to clean out the crate and anything around or in it with the enzyme cleaner. If you don't the scent is there and she will think it is ok to use as a washroom.
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
Since she is not spending much time in the crate during the day I would close the door so that she doesn't have access. You are going to have to keep a closer eye on her. If you see her heading towards the crate take her out. She shouldn't be sleeping with you. When she whines you need to ignore her if she has eaten, had a drink, exercise, etc. Same as a kid, make sure she has had everything she needed. If she has then you ignore her, don't speak to her at all, look at her, nothing. If you give her attention then she will never stop.

You need to clean out the crate and anything around or in it with the enzyme cleaner. If you don't the scent is there and she will think it is ok to use as a washroom.

Do you know the name or brand of a good enzyme to buy for her messes??? I am going to get some tonight, but i want to know a good name or brand to get.??? O.k. No more sleeping with us. I didnt know what else to do last night, we could not get her to hush, we took her out, she pottied and everything, she jsut would not hush. WE put her in the bed with us and she slept the rest of thing night. But now i know, thats a no no. Thanks for letting me know that.
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Nature's Miracle is good. You can get it at most pet supply stores.

Tenderfoot, great post.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
-

We have been focusing on the housebreaking but don't forget all the other stuff. You will need to start now teaching the rules of your home, same as the kids. Your pup will also need a lot of exercise(tons). This breed is very active especially as a pup. Over the next weeks and months she will need more and more. Right now because of her age she is probably sleeping a lot but that won't last long. With one year old twins it may be more difficult to just drop everything and go for a walk so when they are napping go out into the yard and play. In a different area than what is used for washroom breaks. When your husband is home you will need to have him watch the kids while you go out for walks.

Get enrolled into a puppy class so that you can be guided by a professional and your puppy gets a chance to socialize and learn to listen with distractions. You will want to take what you learn and practice everywhere inside and outside of the home. Go into one that allows the family. Everyone needs to learn how to train and be consistant from one person to the next.

You should also take your puppy with you wherever possible. Don't leave her at home if you don't have to. This will help with socializing.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM
-

To get her to settle in at night you can start by exercising her when she gets hyper about an hour before bed time and don't let her nap earlier in the evening.
When it is bed time you can fill up a hot water bottle with hot water. You can also put a tick tock clock in if you have one. Put them in a pillowase and roll it up. Then wrap it in a towel or blanket and place it in her crate.

You will also get to know what whine is a washroom call and what is I just want out call. Ignore the want out call and if it is for a washroom break, quietly take her outside(carry her) direct her to go, when she is done quietly praise and treat her and place her back into her crate.

If you are dealing with any attention getting behaviour the best way to stop it is to ignore it. You will go through an extinction burst. The behaviour may get worse before it drops off. If you give in at any time as it is getting worse you will end up with a behaviour that is worse than where you started.
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Nature's Miracle is good. You can get it at most pet supply stores.

Tenderfoot, great post.

I bought some stuff at Walmart called OUT! Pet stain and odor remover. Do you know if that works good. I put in a clean towel and cleaned her box out very good. so hopefully no accidents tonight. Well see how well she does tonight. Also too, do flea collars really work?? Shes got fleas bad, and i bought her some flea collars. I didnt know how well they really worked. Just wondered if they really work. I got her some flea drops at walmart as well. I hope those work good on her..

But, anyways, she has done sooooo good today with going potty. Im so proud of her. Ive had not one problem today with her. I think shes getting the hang of it finally
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM

If she has flees, especially at her young age, she should probably see the vet. In my exprience flee collars do not work and some chemicals may be a bit harsh for her. When we travel our dogs get a dose of revolution which is bought at the vet and they have never caught anything. (We dont have flees in Calgary!)
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM

I've never used Out! myself, so I couldn't give you an opinion on it.

Flea collars are completely useless. Don't even open the box, return them to the store right away for a refund.

Take your puppy to the vet right away! I've heard of young puppies with bad flea infestations actually dying because the fleas literally sucked them dry! You'll have to de-flea her crate and all bedding as well as every area of the house she's had contact with, carpets & all, including your outdoor dog. So you should probably take them both to the vet to get the proper dosage of Sentinel or Revolution, whichever your vet uses.
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

If she's got fleas BAD, get a flea product from your vet, not a flea collar - I agree, the chemicals in products found at Walmart may be harmfull to such a young pup. Putting a flea collar IN your vacuum bag will help though - make sure to vacuum all surfaces diligently - for a few weeks. The flea collar will kill the fleas in the bag - then toss the bag! since you have young children, you need to get rid of the fleas ASAP! especially with babies...
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM

I called and made her an appt. to see the Vet. tomorrow morning at 9. So this will be her first appt. Shes gonna get her first set of shots, they are gonna do a stool sample, give her worm treatments, and give her some flea meds, they are also gonna do an exam on her as well. I hope everything goes well with her. Them fleas are really bothering her. She is constantly digging and scratching and whinning as she does this in the process. Ill update you on how things go tomorrow.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
How do i get her to walk on a leash. Ive tried and she will flop down and wont move. I tug on the leash and she still wont get up. I pull on it and she just drags. I cannot get her to walk. what do i do to get her to walk??? This stuff is all new to me. I want this to work I really do, im gonna make it work i just need you alls help. Im gonna prove to you that i can do this.
She sounds just like my lab / border collie mix when she was a puppy. She would lie down when we went on walks. She didn't want to go anywhere. (I think this is partly because someone abandoned her at the side of the road when she was a puppy; she was probably afraid we were going to get abandon her too.)

Anyway, the way to get her over it is by making a walk a fun event. Offer treats or a favorite toy and always be super cheery about it. "A walk, oh boy, let's go on a walk, yaaay!"

This worked so well with my dog that she now goes crazy with joy when she sees her leash. I overdid it a bit!

Regarding fleas--whatever you do, do NOT use a product until you've checked with the vet. Oddly enough, a lot of flea collar products are actually HARMFUL to animals. Others are not harmful, but are useless. I know there are some great products that do work, so check with the vet. (I've never had to use any myself, it's too dry for fleas here. Mwhaha!)

Like everyone else, I'm shaking my head about the other dogs you "got rid" of, but I'm glad you're determined to succeed with this one.

Another question: Is she spayed yet? I don't think it makes much of a difference with housetraining, but young animals recover from it more speedily than older animals. I think it's possible at eight weeks (I know it is for cats, not positive about dogs) and I'm positive it's possible at twelve weeks. Spaying is important because it cuts down on animal overpopulation and also saves your dog from the stress of being in heat. (Also saves your carpets, as dogs in heat have discharge.)

~LM~

Last edited by LM1313; February 17th, 2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313
She sounds just like my lab / border collie mix when she was a puppy. She would lie down when we went on walks. She didn't want to go anywhere. (I think this is partly because someone abandoned her at the side of the road when she was a puppy; she was probably afraid we were going to get abandon her too.)

Anyway, the way to get her over it is by making a walk a fun event. Offer treats or a favorite toy and always be super cheery about it. "A walk, oh boy, let's go on a walk, yaaay!"

This worked so well with my dog that she now goes crazy with joy when she sees her leash. I overdid it a bit!

Regarding fleas--whatever you do, do NOT use a product until you've checked with the vet. Oddly enough, a lot of flea collar products are actually HARMFUL to animals. Others are not harmful, but are useless. I know there are some great products that do work, so check with the vet. (I've never had to use any myself, it's too dry for fleas here. Mwhaha!)

Like everyone else, I'm shaking my head about the other dogs you "got rid" of, but I'm glad you're determined to succeed with this one.

Another question: Is she spayed yet? I don't think it makes much of a difference with housetraining, but young animals recover from it more speedily than older animals. I think it's possible at eight weeks (I know it is for cats, not positive about dogs) and I'm positive it's possible at twelve weeks. Spaying is important because it cuts down on animal overpopulation and also saves your dog from the stress of being in heat. (Also saves your carpets, as dogs in heat have discharge.)

~LM~

I took her to the vet this morning and everything was great. Shes healthy puppy, he gave her stuff for her fleas. Frontline on her neck. No shes not spayed. Do you know a rough estimate of what it would cost to have that done???? I dont want any puppies running round when shes older, and i dont want the messes that female dogs deal with, the discharge and bleeding and stuff...
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Smile

Congrats on your new puppy. I just had Laci (she's 8 mths) spayed on Thursday and the cost was $262. Call your vet and they can give you the price that they charge.
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I've been following this post and just want to say kudos for sticking with this pup and sticking with this forum. Keep up the good work and keep asking any questions you may have. We are all here for you. As stated before, remember there are good days and bad days, but the bad days pass and the good days outweigh the bad days. We've had our dog for two years now and there are still times I want to strangle her (not literally). She is our baby and any bad habits she has is because of us -- and that's the thing I keep in my head. I also think that all the good qualities are because of us too. We all make mistakes and so do our furbabies, but it's up to us to guide them onto the right path!