Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Formerly hgd24

Emergency vet clinics

I have only been visiting this site for a short time but I've see quite a few posts from owners whose pets become extremely sick during the weekend or overnight and they've waited until their vets office was open to call and by then, their pet was really bad off.

PLEASE consider calling an emergency clinic if your pet is very sick and your regular vet's office is closed. The people there can give you advice as to what you should do (bring the pet in or what to do at home yourself if the situation is not extreme). We did this with our dog a little over a year ago when she began vomitting almost every hour one Saturday afternoon. A few hours later, the vomitting was continuing and she would no longer take food or water, so we called the closest emergency clinic and brought her in immediately. If we had waited until Monday, we don't think she would have made it. The clinic put her on IV fluids and watched her over the weekend and starting Monday morning, they worked with our vet and a specialty animal hospital to try to find the cause. Please consider calling an emergency clinic if your pet is sick and your vet's office is closed....
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
owned by Tucker

I took a dog to an emerg. vet with bloat, without them he would have been dead. Some emerg. vets give you a discount if recomended by your own vet.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
-

I think most of us would "sell a kidney" if it meant getting help for our animals but, there are many people in unfortunate situations who simply have no money and either no credit cards or are not able to get credit. Having paid or charged four thousand dollars in Vet bills in the last two months I know I will beg, borrow and steal to get my babies the help they need in an emergency. But, I truly wish there were alternatives for those poor souls who have no one to turn to for financial assistance, have modest or fixed incomes and no fall-back resources of their own. Normal vet bills, never mind emergency clinic costs, are becoming increasingly expensive and it must be a horrible feeling to live with day in and day out, knowing you have no where to turn when your baby is sick. I hope I am never in that position and wonder if anything can be done for those who are in need and can find no help.