Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Pappeone will not eat

My name is Chris and I have racked my brain trying to get our little pappeone to eat. We have to force feed him sugar water and puppy chow. I have taken him to the Vet and they say he is fine. Do you have any suggestions. We are definetly open!
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Have you been to a holistic dog food store? Dogs don't naturally eat corn, so it's hard to get a starving dog to eat it sometimes, unless it's drenched with artificial flavors.

A lot of picky dogs I have met have tried and loved the bison and salmon foods from Solid Gold. Their puppy food is Wolf Cub: Solid Gold Wolf Cub Website It's more expensive than puppy chow, but it's a much better food and has a higher digestibility, so you'd feed less with better results. Dog food stores might have samples for you to try out on your doggy.

Have you tried human food at all? A lot of people here advocate feeding boiled chicken with rice to doggies in your type of situation, just to get their apetite going. It could be worth a try.

Oh, and I'd definitely find a new vet too. If you say there is a problem, your vet should listen and get to the bottom of it. Good luck.
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'm thinking the OP doesn't have a lot of veterinary options in his/her area. The most important thing is to get your pup to drink and eat. Try babyfood as it's pallitable and nutritious. You can even mix a bit of pablum up with it. If you don't have pablum then just pick a type of baby cereal or rice cereal. Some vets have an appetite encourager that you can also purchase. Try to find out if your vet does. You can hard boil an egg and finely chop it up, along with some rice and ground chicken. You can add carrots and broccoli to that as well, cooked and finely chopped too.
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM

LOL I didn't notice the hometown... oops... I don't think they have solid gold over there anyway.

But yeah, try anything to get the dog to start eating.
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Just a thought...my Winnie who hates carrots...will eat all the carrots just so if another dog or cat is around. She would rather eat it than have another dog eat it. Maybe it could work with your dog. Ofcourse that only works if you know of a dog that gets along with your dog. Good luck.
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Hi Chris, I was wondering if you ever got your pap to eat? Is he okay? How old is the pup? Any pics?