Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Tear Stains = Allergies?

My lhasa has aweful tear stains. Nothing seems to help. I understand the cause could be food allergies. He's eating the IAMS that his original owners have fed him for his entire life, but I'm sure he's had tear stains that long as well. I'm thinking about switching him to Solid Gold. Do you think that will help? Should I provide filtered water as well, or is tap water fine?
Sorry if they're silly questions, I just want to do the best I can for Tedy.

Dawn
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM

A food switch could defenitely benefit, whatever food you choose, switch it slowly.

"Do you think that will help? Should I provide filtered water as well, or is tap water fine?
Sorry if they're silly questions, I just want to do the best I can for Tedy. " -DawnM

I don't think it's a silly question, I would give your pet what you drink, or what you trust. I drink spring water, my kids drink spring water, yes even the dogs and cats and birds. I only do this because we live so close to the lake and because I've always worried about what's in the water and the older pipe system in my building, it was a personal choice. If I did drink tap water, I would also give it to my pets. Basically, you know if your tap water is safe, and if you are comfortable with it, then give it to your pets.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillonmama
A food switch could defenitely benefit, whatever food you choose, switch it slowly.

"Do you think that will help? Should I provide filtered water as well, or is tap water fine?
Sorry if they're silly questions, I just want to do the best I can for Tedy. " -DawnM

I don't think it's a silly question, I would give your pet what you drink, or what you trust. I drink spring water, my kids drink spring water, yes even the dogs and cats and birds. I only do this because we live so close to the lake and because I've always worried about what's in the water and the older pipe system in my building, it was a personal choice. If I did drink tap water, I would also give it to my pets. Basically, you know if your tap water is safe, and if you are comfortable with it, then give it to your pets.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. And I'll give him spring water, Surely won't hurt to try.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Owned by goldens

Tear stains

My mother noticed her Bichon's eyes would tear and stain more when she ate a certain treat.
Changing her food from Iams to Solid Gold will be good for her overall health even if it doesn't help her tear stains.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
My mother noticed her Bichon's eyes would tear and stain more when she ate a certain treat.
Changing her food from Iams to Solid Gold will be good for her overall health even if it doesn't help her tear stains.
hmmmmm...interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Most definately change the food. Solid Gold is a great food. Iams is NOT a good food. Eliminating all corn and wheat from your dogs diet will make it healthier.

Next option you might want to look at is that they eyelids may be inverted and need surgery. I see this in Goldens and Labs all the time, but I don't know about little breeds.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

There was a post on here about a month or two ago about the tear stains and had before and after pictures. The stains disappeared after the food was upgraded so it can definitely help. The difference was pretty amazing.

Does anyone remember that thread????
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM

I do! It was chocolatecoffee's dog who was on merrick. I'll go find it.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
Most definately change the food. Solid Gold is a great food. Iams is NOT a good food. Eliminating all corn and wheat from your dogs diet will make it healthier.

Next option you might want to look at is that they eyelids may be inverted and need surgery. I see this in Goldens and Labs all the time, but I don't know about little breeds.
He has cherry eye, but the vet said it's only cosmetic and isn't causing any issues.

It's official...I'm changing to Solid Gold. There's a health food store near me that will order the smaller breed formula for me.

And we'll give spring water a try and see if that makes a diff too.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

Dawn
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Remember that the "Just a Wee Bit" is a lot more dense than the IAMS so you will need to feed less. Also remember there aren't any stool hardeners in Solid Gold, so if you feed too much the stool will be soft. It will also be soft for the first little bit as the doggy adjusts to digesting on its own without help. The longer you switch over, the easier it will be (i.e. take at least a week to switch).
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I found the before and after tear stain thread but the pic doesn't work anymore! It's here, nonetheless: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20956
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM

tear stains

From my experience with Shih Tzu's and Lhassa's. There are several reasons for tear stains. Let me first say that I have NEVER come across one that has not had some form of tear stains. This will most likely be an on going issue. There are many things that you can do to reduce this. I work diligently with my dogs to avoid the stains, especially in show coat.

The first thing I would recommend is to definatly switch from Iams. This used to be a good food, but in the last year and a half they have changed. The change caused us a lot of trouble as it made some of the dogs break out, others to get very ill. This did cause the tear stains to increase.

Regular daily grooming especially of the face helps to reduce the staines as well. Many small breeds, escpecially ones with large eyes and lots of hair, rub their head to clear their eyes. You may notice from time to time that they get filmy or goopy. Clearing this from the eye also helps. Allowing your dog to rub their head on the ground to clear it themselfs makes the situation worse as the rubbing irritates the eye and causes tearing.

If you notice that the tear stains get heavy and a deep red or black, this can be related to an eye infection or irritation and should be treated by a vet.

I hope that's helpful.
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Sorry, I reorganized my Photobucket account, I'll edit my post in that other thread.

My Maltese was on Science Diet when I got her (she had been for two years), and she had horrible tear stains. I tried out a couple different premium foods and when I put her on Merrick, her tear stains practically disappeared (as well as the usual improvements - a softer coat, better breath, more energy, etc.). Here's a before picture with two after pictures, it's a pretty amazing transformation:
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I can attest to the changes in a dog's eye and ear (and overall skin) health when changing from an ok food to a premium (Solid Gold Wolf King ALL THE WAY!). My Simon had weird yeast issues with his ears (being a pointer that's par for the course), but also with his skin, and abnormally large eye goopers when I had him on Regal (Peach wasn't quite as pronounced with the eyes and ears), but after a week of him on Solid Gold, all of it cleared up. He smells considerably better since his skin and ears aren't so gross and I don't have eye goopers stuck to my pants

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:15 PM

thanks so much to all of you !!!!!!
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawert1
I can attest to the changes in a dog's eye and ear (and overall skin) health when changing from an ok food to a premium (Solid Gold Wolf King ALL THE WAY!).
It's so nice to hear somebody else say that for a change! The food is only good till you find out something is wrong with it, and I'm still hoping that I never find anything that proves that Wolf King is bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz
The first thing I would recommend is to definatly switch from Iams. This used to be a good food, but in the last year and a half they have changed. The change caused us a lot of trouble as it made some of the dogs break out, others to get very ill. This did cause the tear stains to increase.
Sorry, but I disagree with this in a way. Iams was never good as long as there were holistic foods on the market. By-products and corn are never good, no matter what they do to the formula.