Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM
-

Almost decided...???any comments?

I've been searching and searching for another dog food for my gang.And I am REALLY fed up.Now,I think I've made a decision;Nutro Lamb and Rice.I was feeding them Medi-Cal vegeterian and I think I've been paying too much.I was looking for a better (and probably less expensive) food.But everytime I found something,it's only available in Montreal.I am not going to drive 2 hours everytime I need dog food.And having fosters,was looking to pay less.Don't get me wrong,I love my dogs,but I'm starting to believe less and less in what's really good for them.As an exemple;let me start by saying I will NEVER feed my dogs Pedigree (I know it's crap) BUT;I did get 3 fosters (6 yr old and 2x 8 yr old) who were on pedigree.Since I don't have them for a long time,I always feed them what their last owner leaves me.Yes,they did poop more,lost a bit more fur than my dogs,those dogs weren't vaccinated either....and their previous owners never had to go to the vet with these dogs!I mean,they never had health problems.Made me wonder!And the dogs were acting young and all.I wouldn't have tought they been eating that stuff.Again,I would never buy any food at Walmart (i'm boycotting them anyway) or at the supermarket.Thanks to RaYne who posted a list from Whole dog journal,I saw that Nutro was in that list.I did check out the others,again,not available in my area.I went to the closest store this morning to check out the price of Nutro $43.99 + txs for 41 lbs (Medi-Cal $61.99 + txs / 33 lbs) Some of you may say you shouldn't look at the price if you love your dogs.I don't have that choice.And I don't think my dogs will get sick from a less expensive food.Why I am posting this you may say?I value everyone's (from this forum) opinion.Good or bad for me,I will welcome any comments.I know some of you know your stuff way better than me.Tanks in advance.
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
-

One more thing I want to mention (I'm on a roll!) looking at the Whole dog journal food list I tought;do we really need all of those brand?And there are only the "recommended" ones on that list!I think that the animal food companies are taking advantage of us,more and more people are being selective about what to feed their pets.All I can see is MARKETING $$$$$.Maybe not all of them.Again with the cheap food;my friend's father has a farm and they always had 4-5 dogs.Never vaccinated,buys food from supermarket,never had any major problem with the health of their dogs and they lived for many many years.I'm not saying that I approve,I'm just afraid we are being brainwash by those companies.I know I will pay as much as I can just to have peace of mind.OK I think that's it!Don't want to start a debate (or do I) can't wait to hear your opinions on the subject.I know many of you will be against all of I just said and it's ok.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

We feed Jesse Nutro. We feed it to her for a few reasons, first she loves it, second the ingredients are a better quality, third the price is within our budget. I know there are higher quality foods out there, but the reality of life is that you do have to worry about costs. I would love to feed Jesse the highest quality food, but then we would also like to eat filet mignon every night too. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen unless we hit the lottery. So we feed her the best quality food that is within our budget. As a family, we try to make sure all of us (Me, Jim and Jesse) eat and live as best as we can and within our price ranges. That's my take on the whole thing.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed my cats Nutro and Chicken-Soup,good middle of the road food.
A friend of mine with five cats,2 who are 19-20yrs old,never any major healthproblems and they have always been fed the cheap foods,like Friskies,Miss Meow etc...so I never mention to him it's crappy food.
I would never recommend these foods to anyone asking and myself,I buy what my cats will like and eat.
Wellness,Solid Gold etc..are excellent expensive foods,but my cats would not even touch it.
My vet last week suggested Medi-cal,because one of my cats is slightly overweight,but I declined,I'll buy what I know they will eat.
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I might be wrong, but I think the only Nutro food on the WDJ list is Nutro Ultra. It's more expensive than Nutro Lamb and Rice. I fed Nutro lamb to Sam the first 2 months that I had him. He had lots of dandruff and so I switched to Canidae (56$ for 40 lbs here)... I've stuck with that and it has been great. I hear all of you about the cost and the results... My dad's farm dogs have always had long happy lives on cheapo food, so who knows?? BUT... they don't live in the house like Sam and Maia, and I know when they're shedding, gassy, bad breath... that never really bothered my dad too much!!
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Owned by goldens

Almost decided

Frency

I thought I would confuse you even more. Have you looked into the Costco brand of food? It is called Kirkland and the ingredient quality is similar to that of the Nutro I think. I think the cost is lower too. I can understand your frustration about finding a good food in our area. I too was frustrated last year. I now travel to Vermont every couple of months to buy my food.

I believe that everyone should feed what they can afford and what they can find easily in their neighborhood.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
-

coppperbelle,I am happy to tell you I don't have a membership to Costco!!It's the kind of store I cannot go since I hate shopping / being in a place with too many people!Phoenix;I didn't realize it was Nutro Ultra on the list...I don't care.I will try the lamb thing.Hope Bailey and Sam will not have allergies to it!If so,I will have to start all over again,arghhhhhhh!
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:13 AM

I wish you wouldn't look at the price too much. Unless you are feeding crazy food, the price shouldn't matter. I know you're on a budget, but considering that you will likely feed less and your dogs will have less chronic health issues that require vet care, it very nearly balances out. Basically, I'd say take the difference in price and half it.

Why only Nutro? What store is most convenient for you?
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Owned by goldens

Almost decided

Frenchy
You don't like Costco? I love to shop and look for any excuse to go. LOL
Seriously though when I tried Nutro, Natural Choice on my dogs a few years back I had some problems, rather the dogs had some problems. After a while they began vomiting yellow bile. When both Chloe and Belle started vomiting yellow bile at the same time every day I decided to change their food back and the vomiting stopped immediately.
This does not mean you will have a problem with Daisy and Bailey eating this food but if you notice them start to vomit yellow bile you will know why. Many dogs do not have a problem with this food but both of mine did.

Good luck
Linda
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin,I am with you on not looking at the price,unless it is totally outrageous..like Worlds Best cat-litter $39/bag
Unlike dogs,cats can be very finicky about food,whether the dry food costs $50 or $25 does not matter much,if they won't eat it.
Chicken-Soup has the same ingredients as Wellness,except they use potatoes instead of sweetpotatoes.
I buy 2 kinds of dry,since my cats don't like the same foods..their main meals are canned food though.
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM
-

You guys are scaring me with the vomitting and the dandruff!!Coppperbelle;I don't like to shop,when I HAVE to,I make it real quick,almost running in the store!And since Costco is big and popular,it's the kind of place were I lose it,people are in my way,kids screaming ect...my mom is 78 yr old and lives in a semi retired home,I used to take her shopping once in a while,last time she tough I was just too cranky and bitchy and swore to neveer come back shopping with me!Now it's my sister's job!I do my shopping at 8h00 am on saterday morning so I can be "alone".Now you know why I'm single!My doctor gave me my papers to go and have some tests done,it's been 8 months...I just can't push myself to go one morning to a clsc and wait with that many people.Prin;the medi-cal might be no good and expensive but it's only 3 cups a day,all the other kibbles I saw was about 4 cups a day for a 80 pound dog.
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Frenchy, you're right on the money about the dog food companies. That's why I feed raw, well one of the reasons. I can't say it enough about the crap that's in ALL of the commercial dog foods, it's ridiculous! If money and availability is causing you grief, why not go to your grocery store, as you mentioned a relative did, and buy raw chicken, beef, etc. and try the raw diet. Do the research on it and you might be surprised how easy and convenient it is. I'm still learning about what to feed and how much, thanks to people on this forum.
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM
-

I'm not a good candidate for raw feeding.Main reason is ; I don't really eat meat myself.The way they bring up these animals,the way they kill them.The time it takes for that meat to get to the grocerie store...I am zero in the kitchen,I don't really cook,hate to touch meat.It's gross!And I would be afraid that the dogs would be lacking of proteins,vitamins or stuff like that.I had tough about it.But with 2 dogs (+ fosters),I think it would get expensive.
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM
-

oups

Oups,sorry about that,multiple post,I saw somebody else that had the same problem on another topic.the main reason why I want to cut down on dog food expense was so I could keep my foster Sam.He's been with me for the past 3 months.Everything I put in his description for him to get adopted by the right family fits ME!And I just e-mailed the rescue to tell them I was keeping him.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Medical is loaded with corn, so if you get a food that has no corn or fillers in it, you will feed less, regardless of what the bag says (they always jack up the numbers anyway).

Like if you look at the Wolf King, the bag says to feed Jemma 3 2/3cups to 4 1/3 cups. She gets 2 to 2.5 cups cups. Boo would be 4 1/3 cups to 5 1/4 cups, and he gets 2.5 to 3 cups a day. The food is quite dense. I used to feed Jemma 3 cups of Eukanuba and Boo 4 or 4.5 cups (I can't remember which). Even though, on the Euk bag, if I remember properly, the amount was lower than the amount on the Wolf King bag...

Last edited by Prin; February 5th, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
-

Prin,I'm pretty sure I didn't see any corn in the lam/rice formula.You really think I can cut 1 cup a day?
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Probably. Especially if your doggies are older and since they do well on 3 cups of medical, when at least half is coming out the other end...
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:33 PM
-

Yep,with the snow melting I found some that I forgotten to pick up in the backyard.Yuck!
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM

LOL No matter how anal you are about picking it up, some always resurfaces in the spring (although spring is very early this year it seems... I think we've had 2 springs already).
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin,cats and dogs eat differently,my cats"dry"bowls are always kept full,if I had little Bailey(the Cocker)here,she would suck it up in a second,but cats are nibblers.
My vet suggested I buy their Medi-Cal for Vinnie,a little chunky,but I declined.
Instead I'll watch him and make sure he does not eat three bowls of canned food,but only his own.
It's funny,he'll eat his bowl,but one eye is always on Rockys and Chicos bowls,since they seldom finish theirs,but no more!
Old February 5th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
and their previous owners never had to go to the vet with these dogs!I mean,they never had health problems.
I missed this bit. So many people I know say they've never had problems with their dogs on crap food and without much care, and to me, they just don't notice. Jemma's ears get infected and I notice right away. Because I do that, she is much more sensitive to them and sometimes she'll feel infected when it's so mild the vet barely sees anything. When you think of the "family dog" sitting in the corner alone while the family runs around and is otherwise occupied, how will they notice if he has anything wrong unless it's really, really wrong? They'll more likely go around bragging that their dog is in great shape, even though his skin is itchier than most, his ears are itchier than most and his coat isn't as shiny as it could be.

Sure they could have the energy of puppies, but how much more energy will they have if they are actually absorbing their food?

You know?

Chico, I always wonder how people get their cats to lose weight when you have multiple cats in a household. I wonder if you treat kittens like puppies and only allow them 20 minutes to eat, will they starve themselves? Or will they sit and eat for the full 20 minutes once they realize what the deal is?
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM

So, I'm going to ask, is Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice an OK food? I know it's not optimal, but it is the only thing that Benny sems to be able to digest. He is really sensitive. I have tried him on the Wellness fish, and the Holistic Blend and he really can't tolerate them, even after a few months. I would like to have him on a better quality food, but he seems to do really well on the Nutro. Any ideas?
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:28 AM

If he's ok on it and you've tried a lot of stuff, stick with it. It's way better than Iams and all that crap, but it's not quite up with Wellness and the other holistic foods. It's definitely not a terrible food.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin,after having had cats for so many years,you kind of figure out how much they need to eat.
My cats split a small can of food 2 times a day,free-feed on dry.
Rocky and Chico are soo darn finicky,I am happy if they eat at least half of what I give them,they usually return a little later and eat more,if Vinnie did not get there first
That's the only change I have to make,make sure Vinnie only eats his own,the little piggy:love:
He's having his teeth cleaned on Wednesday,he will not be allowed to eat or drink for 12 hours,now that is going to be very,very hard on me,he such a little angel:love: