Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Neutering questions--what to expect?

I didnt' post this in the pet health forum since it's more about what I should expect and not about any illness or condition. Cooper is scheduled to be neutered on the 26th. He's only about 7-8 pounds and he's 5 months old. I was going back and forth between the old vet we used for Joey's eye problems. Excellent facility--state of the art, but enormously expensive in my opinion. His office visits are rarely less than a hundred dollars. The country vet is wonderfully warm and very inexpensive but doesn't even have an office assistant so surgery worries me a bit.

Then someone recommended another vet and I spoke with her and she seemed intelligent and on top of things so he is going to go there next Thursday morning and I will pick him up in the afternoon. She is charging $159. (The other vet wanted 260 and the country guy was 100)

Anyway....sorry so wordy. What should I expect when I pick him up? Will he be sore? Groggy? Should I limit his activity?

Also, we were thinking about taking an overnight on Saturday into Sunday--about a 5 hour drive. Will he be ok for this do you think? Or would it not be prudent to go out of town with him? (It will be the last weekend we can get away before the middle of March and I need to visit my daughter)

And here's where you all find out how neurotic and needy I am. Is he going to hold it against me since I'll be the one to bring him in? I was even thinking about having my husband drop him off so HE can look like the bad guy and I'll be the hero who brings him home. LOL !! We really do fight over who gets to be with the puppy the most and each of us wants him to love us the best. There I said it. I'm needy, but sadly not ashamed of it.

Last edited by joeysmama; January 17th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

We all hate leaving our pets at the vet!

For a small young dog, neutering is a very minor surgery. When you pick him up, he may be groggy or may act strangely from the anesthetic. He may be a little constipated for a day or two, but your vet will inform you all about that.

Let him sleep it off and he'll probably be back to normal the next day! Just make sure he doesn't bother the surgery site (most dogs don't) and make sure it's not red, swollen or oozy.

Your baby will be just fine and probably won't even notice that anything was done to him! And no - he won't resent you for leaving him there.
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Joeysmama, I have to agree with Lucky Rescue…everything will be fine. I took my little Charlotte (West Highland Terrier) in a few months ago at 5 months and she hardly missed a beat! She was a bit fuzzy on the drive home but I was glad I had my daughter with me so she could hold Charlotte quietly for the ride home.

She had a little snooze for an hour or so, and then was quite normal. I wanted to carry her downstairs the next morning-I was a bit concerned about her going down all the stairs-but she ran down so quickly I couldn’t catch her!

And don’t be ashamed about having the “who does the puppy love more” contests with your husband…we do it all the time!!! http://www.pets.ca/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Devoted Dog Member

I had Schultz neutered at six months. I was expecting him to be groggy when I picked him up, but what I wasn't expecting was the groaning noise he was making! It really freaked me out, and it could have been one of those weird reactions to coming out of anesthesia. Once he was totally awake, he was pretty uncomfortable for the remainder of the night and slept a lot. The next day he was at about 90%, still a little sore but not too bad. I did have a heck of a time to keep him calm and not jumping around so that he had at least a couple of days of healing time and after that he was 100% fine and dandy.

Oh, and he didn't hold it against me (I don't think!).

Last edited by SchnauzerGirl; January 17th, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Everything will be fine! But I have to ask... It's that expensive? Boo was 75lbs when we had him done and it was $180. Jemma was done at about 40lbs and it was $125 (and ovariohysterectomies are more expensive than neuterings..) Why is your tiny doggy so expensive?
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all so much for your answers. I appreciate it and feel less anxious about it now.

Prin I think it's expensive because I live in northern NJ which is ridiculously overpriced right now. $100 was the least expensive and this guy is so tiny. I can't imagine what it would have cost at the pricey doctor for a big dog. The only good news is that as soon as my kids are settled and we retire I can sell this house and almost anywhere I go I'll have a better standard of living. Unless I want to move to Manhattan or Hollywood I'll be in good shape.

And it's not like I've got a mansion or live in a gorgeous town. Think basic development house and lots of strip malls. Wal-mart, McDonald's etc.

It's not far from the new York City, the shore, or the country though. So that's the upside.

Oh and yeah--if he been a girl it would have been almost twice as much at the big bucks guy and would have required an overnight stay--and the cost of the overnight stay as well.

I really wish I had talked to my kids about going into veterinary medicine. Just so I could get a discount.
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM

That's American money too? I forgot about that... I think it might be cheaper to come up here on vacation and have your doggy done while you're here..

The important thing though is trusting your vet.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Albert's mommy

I agree. your pup will be just fine. Especially since he's so young. You'll notice grogginess the first night but I would say within a day or two he'll be back up and about. Depending on the sutures they give him you may need to go back to have them removed. Al had the ones that dissolved by themselves. So I just kept an eye on them and made sure he didn't pick on them. Honestly, he never paid attention to them. One other thing is you can't bathe them following 2 weeks after surgery. Also too much running or jumping can increase the chances of his sutures ripping.
We adopted Al a day after his surgery. So obviously the shelter found no problem with him being adopted so soon after!
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Albert's mommy

another point..

I'm not sure about Jersey..but here in Chicago they have a lot of programs that offer free or discounted surgeries. In some parts of the city, just living in a certain zip code or having a certain breed will give you a break. Did you check with your local ASPCA? Mine does neuters for $25.00. I know Pitts are done for free. We had his teeth cleaning done there for free 2 months later..and we all know how expensive those are! The doctor was great! He was so sweet with Al! His teeth were in such bad shape and he needed a tooth pulled. Now they are pearly white! Just a thought!