Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Have dogs been known to eat their babies.

I had someone tell me that dogs eat their babies sometimes. Especially if they have been abused or neglected. Is this true. If so, do you have any details on it.

Judie
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM
-

It is not a usual practice of dogs. They wi throw them out and it is always due to something wrong with the pup.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Mods can you move this one?

I think this belongs in the General forum, not tech talk And I know bunnies sometimes do that, but haven't heard of dogs doing so

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Most of the time, there would be two reasons for a mommy cat or dog to kill their babies and then make the remains disappear: either the little ones have some physical condition that would prevent them from surviving anyways, or else the mom is overly stressed (for example in a shelter environment) and cannot cope with raising the babies there. Why do you ask ?

Could a mod move this thread to the right place ?
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Dogs eating babies

The reason I ask this is because I am in a yorkie group club and I just purchased a 14 month old yorkie female to breed 1 time. I told the group about my new Victoria and said she was not taken care of properly. She was in bad need of some grooming, gaining weight, etc. Nothing major.

Well a breeder told me that if the dog was abused and neglected that they have been known to eat their pups. I have never heard of this in my life. She is also the same person that just had a litter 2-3 days ago and made her dog eat the placenta while the dog was still having babies. Is this what you are suppose to do to a dog that has already had one litter and did not particularly like them.

Judie
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

What is the Yorkie Group Club ? Are the members registered breeders ? Then they would be able to give you much sounder advice. Yorkies are very hard to breed and most of the time require C-section. Mortality rate is high in the pups and the mom is quite uncomfortable nursing after the surgery. I would strongly suggest you research this very carefully if you don't want to lose your dog during labor. I guess you are planning to give your little girl at least a year of recovery before any mating ? Have you been supplied with all health tests along with the registration papers ?
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM
-

Why are you going to breed this pup. The ?breeder you have been speaking with does not sound like a responsible breeder so I would question their advice.
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Is this dog a champion show dog? If not, please do not breed her. Especially if she acts shy or neurotic . . . It MAY be due to being abused, but how do you know some of it isn't genetic and won't be passed on to the pups? Besides, even in a loving home, a dog who has previously been neglected will find having pups stressful . . . especially if it requires a C-section.

~LM~
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM

And if she comes from bad breeding too, you have no idea what genetic diseases you could pass on.:sad:
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
-

Is this the same one who is ill or do you have two.
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Breeding a dog that has been abused and neglected or poorly cared for is just plain wrong and your Yorkie Group should be ashamed of yourselves. Great , lets just breed a dog for a profit. Sounds like BYB to me. And why am I so pissed? Gee, maybe because we pulled a 5 month old Yorkie last night and pulled a second one today.A male and a female, perfect little breeding set. Bet hey, just add to the overpopulation, go on.. we'll just keep cleaning up the damn messes. Not finding me very pleasant today, sorry about that but this needs to end... there aren't enough to care for the ones that are already bred so why the heck add more.

Stepping off my soap box now!
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She is also the same person that just had a litter 2-3 days ago and made her dog eat the placenta while the dog was still having babies.
How do you make a dog eat a placenta? ALL animals eat the placentas of their babies. This is an instinctive thing, and it's done to keep the nest clean and free of blood that will attract predators, and it's also very nourishing for the mother. Anyone contemplating breeding should know this.

Quote:
Is this what you are suppose to do to a dog that has already had one litter and did not particularly like them.
A dog who is a lousy mother should not be bred a second time and should never have been bred if she and the sire do not both have championships to prove they are breeding quality.

Your dog - abused and neglected - obviously came from a terrible breeder and should NOT herself be bred. Yorkies are not easy to breed, and have a long list of genetic defects they should be tested and cleared of before being bred.
Old January 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judie Hinson
The reason I ask this is because I am in a yorkie group club and I just purchased a 14 month old yorkie female to breed 1 time. I told the group about my new Victoria and said she was not taken care of properly. She was in bad need of some grooming, gaining weight, etc. Nothing major.
nothing major? not being taken care of properly is a MAJOR red flag.
Old January 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM

They won't eat their young, but they will attack and kill the very weak ones. My old lab was attacked really early on and lost her knee. She managed ok after being bottle fed but she tried to kill any dog that she came in contact with.
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Here's the 3 month old reason this post pissed me off:
Attached Images

Old January 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Three months old and already eyes full of sadness.:sad:
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM
-

breeding

I second everything BMDLuver wrote.MY perfect world;nobody would breed cats and dogs for at least a year,time for the animals at the spca,rescues,shelter,,,,to be adopted.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking the same thing Prin. My first reaction to the picture was "What a sad little face. "

I have to say I don't understand this post at all. Why would you breed a dog that has already had a difficult time? I'm not very knowledgable about breeding but it seems very unkind to me.

This poor girl should be spayed and then pampered.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
Is this the same one who is ill or do you have two.
After reviewing the threads, I think Judie Hinson has 3 Yorkies. Two females and one male. The male would be the one with health issues.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Oh, so the sick male has his pick of females? So the sick male will be the daddy of any litter?
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313
Is this dog a champion show dog? If not, please do not breed her. Especially if she acts shy or neurotic . . . It MAY be due to being abused, but how do you know some of it isn't genetic and won't be passed on to the pups? Besides, even in a loving home, a dog who has previously been neglected will find having pups stressful . . . especially if it requires a C-section.

~LM~
Just to let you know that this dog has been spayed and is in a forever loving and giving home. She is doing wonderful except her broken foot has not healed yet. She has had 3 cast now. Hopefully it will heal soon.

Judie
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama
I was thinking the same thing Prin. My first reaction to the picture was "What a sad little face. "

I have to say I don't understand this post at all. Why would you breed a dog that has already had a difficult time? I'm not very knowledgable about breeding but it seems very unkind to me.

This little girl has been spayed and is in a forever loving home. She is doing wonderful.

Judie
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama

This littler girl has been spayed and is in a forever loving and giving home. She is still recovering from a broken foot. 3 cast so far.

Judie
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness
After reviewing the threads, I think Judie Hinson has 3 Yorkies. Two females and one male. The male would be the one with health issues.

I had 3 but after talking to you guys my female that may have been abused has been spayed and is living in her forever loving home and she is doing great. I now have 2 and my female goes this week to be spayed and get her dentals.

Judie
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM

That's some good news.
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Proud dog mommy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
ALL animals eat the placentas of their babies. This is an instinctive thing, and it's done to keep the nest clean and free of blood that will attract predators, and it's also very nourishing for the mother. Anyone contemplating breeding should know this.
I guess this is why I don't breed dogs, I didn't know that. My puppers is awaiting her spay date.