Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:30 AM

Help with lab.

My family has a choc. lab who is less then a year old, but recently just after he was neutered he has gone into a huge depression where he refuses to eat, and drink. He looks to be extremely depressed, he just sits around with his head staring to the ground and generally has no energy, he has lost a great deal of weight. I was HOPING that you all might have some info to help. We took him to the vet where they ran tests, and did not find that it was anything wrong with his neutering, he was very playful and energetic before.
mike
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:42 AM

Did they do a full blood test? Anaesthetic is very hard on the kidneys- have they tested them? Does he have a fever or any other symptoms?

I doubt this is related to the actual neutering, but the surgery might have stressed him or the anaesthetic might have affected his organs. Maybe I'm reading too far into it but your vet just seems to want to show he's not responsible and isn't really treating the dog's health as the #1 priority. Frankly, I'd get a second opinion.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM

they checked his kidneys and said they were fine, cause when i first heard of his problem that was my assumption. My parents are taking him back to the vet today, cause because last week they brought him in, and he did have low body tempature and needed an IV.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:43 PM

Good luck. I hope he gets well soon.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM

we are taking him for a second opinion today, the other vet was thinking maybe lyme disease but i just watched a video where it said that usually after the third day the owner has to carry him, but our dog is walkin funny and has no energy, but we really havent had to carry him.