Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Honest Contributor

hey prin, have your furkids tried

Nature's Variety Venison & Millet?... since i had a coupon for a free bag (go here to get yours http://www.naturesvariety.com/iloveit/ - just make sure to print right away because if you close your brower window after viewing, you cannot get a 2nd coupon), i got some last night and wow, doggy went bonkers over it! inhaled it dry and was wanting more, but i gotta see first how his tummy reacts to it.

strangely the food smells very mild, almost odorless (compared to the pungent smell of most kibbles) and the ingredients are fantastic:

Prairie Brand New Zealand Venison Medley Canine Dry Diet:
Venison Meal, Millet, Pumpkin Seed, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite, Natural Flavoring, Amaranth, Quinoa, Blueberries, Cranberries, Inulin, Freeze Dried Lamb, Freeze Dried Salmon Oil, Papain, Rosemary, Sage, Fermentation Products, vitamins & minerals...

CRUDE PROTEIN (min.) 26.0%
CRUDE FAT (min.) 16.0%
CRUDE FIBER (max.) 8.0%
MOISTURE (max.) 10.0%

so right now i have a 30 lbs bag of Go! Natural to go through, 2 x 5 lbs of this Nature's Variety stuff, plus a freezerful of raw meat roasts and RMBs, ya think this doggy is not spoiled? oh my poor wallet though, LOL :queen:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM

It says I can only get a coupon...

What the hey is "Montmorillonite"? Never heard of that... In another of their foods it's "Montmorillonite Clay"....

The fiber is a bit high (8%), which is probably why they have all those warnings about overfeeding..

The reason the doggies probably find it tasty is there are flavors added...

I like this:
Quote:
Nature's Variety has created a healthier kibble. Benefits of raw food (enzymes, probiotics, amino acids, and essential fatty acids) are coated around each kibble to provide the microbials necessary for optimum nutrient absorption.
Finally a dog food company that understands that cooking the probiotics kills them, but at the same time, if you don't keep them in the fridge, they'll probably die anyway.
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Honest Contributor

yes, the link brings you to a coupon which you print out & bring to your retailer to get a free bag (when you buy one at reg price). Comes down to good deal IMO

I found this info on montmorillonite (long but very informative!): from http://curezone.com/forums/m.asp?f=76&i=2

What is Bentonite? What is montmorillonite?

A VOLCANIC DETOXIFIER—Bentonite, a medicinal powdered clay which is also known as montmorillonite, derives from deposits of weathered volcanic ash.

It is one of the most effective natural intestinal detoxifying agents available and has been recognized as such for centuries by native peoples around the world. Whatever the name, liquid clay contains minerals that, once inside the gastrointestinal tract, are able to absorb toxins and deliver mineral nutrients to an impressive degree, says Knishinsky. Liquid clay is inert which means it passes through the body undigested.

Technically, the clay first adsorbs toxins (heavy metals, free radicals, pesticides), attracting them to its extensive surface area where they adhere like flies to sticky paper; then it absorbs the toxins, taking them in the way a sponge mops up a kitchen counter mess.

There is an electrical aspect to bentonite’s ability to bind and absorb toxins. According to Yerba Prima, a company based in Ashland, Oregon, which markets Great Plains® Bentonite, the clay’s minerals are negatively charged while toxins tend to be positively charged; hence the clay’s attraction works like a magnet drawing metal shavings. But it’s even more involved than that.

Once hydrated (combined with water), bentonite has an enormous surface area. According to Yerba Prima, a single quart bottle can represent a total surface area of 960 square yards or 12 American football fields. Bentonite is made of a great number of tiny platelets, with negative electrical charges on their flat surfaces and positive charges on their edges.

When bentonite absorbs water and swells, it is stretched open like a highly porous sponge; the toxins are drawn into these spaces by electrical attraction and bound fast. In fact, according to the Canadian Journal of Microbiology (31 [1985], 50-53), bentonite can absorb pathogenic viruses, aflatoxin (a mold), and pesticides and herbicides including Paraquat and Roundup. The clay is eventually eliminated from the body with the toxins bound to its multiple surfaces.

According to Sonne’s Organic Foods of North Kansas City, Missouri, a company that markets Detoxificant (a liquid montmorillonite), “There is no evidence that bentonite has any chemical action in the body. Its power is purely physical.”

Clay’s adsorptive and absorptive qualities may be the key to its multifaceted healing abilities. Knishinsky reports that drinking clay helped him eliminate painful ganglion cysts (tumors attached to joints and tendons, in his case, in his wrist) in two months, without surgery.

According to Knishinsky, benefits reported by people using liquid clay for a period of two to four weeks include: improved intestinal regularity; relief from chronic constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, and ulcers; a surge in physical energy; clearer complexion; brighter, whiter eyes; enhanced alertness; emotional uplift; improved tissue and gum repair; and increased resistance to infections. “Clay works on the entire organism. No part of the body is left untouched by its healing energies,” he notes.

Knishinsky’s research suggests that the regular intake of liquid clay (typically one to three tablespoons daily, in divided doses) can produce other benefits including parasite removal from the intestines, allergy and hay fever relief, and elimination of anemia and acne. For example, clay helps anemia because it contains both types of dietary iron (ferrous and ferric) in an easily assimilated form; it reduces discomfort from allergies by quickly neutralizing allergens that would otherwise produce allergic reactions; and it reduces heartburn and indigestion by absorbing excess stomach acids.

it makes ME want to take this stuff, LOL! (the clay, not the dog food, LOL) - maybe that's why the fiber content is a bit higher than in other foods, to interact with the clay? In any case... i never feed the same kibble for more than a couple weeks in a row and the bulk of my dog's diet is raw with cooked additions, so i've no worries of any "deficiencies" or whatnot... i guess my situation is different than most, wonder how many are shocked by my candid attitude towards what goes in my dog's plate, ha ha!

Old January 7th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Thanks for that... It kind of makes me want to try some... I need more fiber too. heh heh...

One day, we'll have to get together and compare coats and stools! LOL
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Honest Contributor

well i have this great black suede coat for chilly days and my stools are - hey wait! you meant our dog's stuff right? LOL LOL (sorry for bad sense of humor... must be the weather )

Old January 7th, 2006, 07:57 PM

LOL LOL I thought for a second that I was a nutcase...