Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old January 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Brokeback Mountain - 2005

Basically this is a love story and an excellent drama about the lives of 2 cowboys and their non-platonic love for one another. It takes place in the early 60's and continues for the duration of their lives. The film somewhat explores the evolving and devolving attitudes toward 'the love that dare not speak its name'. Mostly though, it's a relationship movie.

The acting is excellent by both main actors (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal) and it would not surprise me if both were nominated as well as the film for Academy awards this year.

The film does move slowly, though the cinamatography is beautiful.
I give it an 8/10
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM

It's the only movie that made it onto all the critics' best lists of 2005. I'm trying to get the man to want to see it though...
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I would love to see that movie,but since we do not like to go to the theater,I'll wait until it's out on DVD.
I like both those young men,great actors and I hope they'll be nominated.
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Kitty Consort

I'd love to see this film...but have the same problem as you, Prin - hubby would apparently rather stick needles in his eyes..
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I'm with your hubbies...something about 2 guys kissin just gives me the ooglies....

not that theres anything wrong with it.
Old January 15th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm looking forward to seeing this one because, like Open Range, Unforgiven, Shanghai Noon and others, it was filmed in our area and its always interesting to see how something like that turns out.

In fact, Abby & Keeper and I were walking up Brokeback Mountain (Moose Mountain fire road) straight west of here, last weekend . . . . .

But I'll probably see it on a satellite movie channel . . . . . we don't get out to movie theatres much these days and we don't rent too many movies either.

Abby cools down with Brokeback Mountain in the background, the first peak is in the movie, the second behind it is higher and has the fire watch station:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Last edited by Rick C; January 15th, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old January 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Shamrock,that's why we (hubby and I)each have our own TV's,we meet in the kitchen for snacks
Old January 15th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Jim mentioned seeing this movie to me and I told him I would love to. Then I asked him if he checked out what the movie is about (just because I know him so well). He said no, and I told him to check IMDB. Then he came out of the room and said I would see this movie as long as they don't kiss on the screen. I told him I'm not sure it's a movie he would want to see. So I guess I'll be waiting until it comes out on Satellite on a rainy day when he isn't here. I would definitely like to see it though.
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

so its obviously nto as banned as the news says, were getting the impression its banned all over the place over there.

as one smart cookie recently said, if they ban brokeback mtn they should ban Narnia as he has never seen a talking lion ....

hubby is really looking foreward to this movie, he is not homophobic and he does not have issues with men kissing, or woman kissing, or fish kissing

looking foreward to it, only prob is that all the way out here in the sticks it takes ages for movies to come out ehre, perhaps if i go and see the cinema ppl and have a chat, may help with future slow releases too. oh now im inspired....

dont anyone reveal the endign or anything, it will spoil it for us slow ones
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Well, Mel, if you see it in the theater and we all see it on video, we might match up...
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM

I saw it last week, it was fantastic! Made me want horses again.
I wasn't expecting to be shocked (I'm VERY liberal) but I was, at the violence of the sex scenes. I guess I am used to the female/male romantic scenes in most movies. But the story is beautiful, as is the scenery, and the acting. Hope I didn't give too much away, just wanted to warn the men, LOL!
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM

It won the golden globe tonight!
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
owned by Tucker

I don't think it is all its cracked up to be. I prefered Walk the Line.
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Kitty Consort

The hype for this film may be raising expectations too high...but I found it something of a letdown.
Its very well done.. great acting, nicely shot.etc.. but all in all I didnt find it "that" exceptional.

Or..maybe my enjoyment of this film experience was reduced by the fact that I couldnt get my mind off how cold I was! The theatre was freezing.
A "cool" room for viewing is desirable.. but should a Parka be necessary?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Now that the movie has been out there, cultural critics take a look at the Brokeback phenomenon . . . . overhyped?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...rokeback_x.htm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Ok, I finally got the man to go see it with me. And I concur. It's not that great. They pick a subject that people sympathize with and ride it to the end. The characters are very underdeveloped and the plot is underdeveloped. Why is Anne Hathaway teary-eyed in the end? What feeling is that? I don't know because I don't know her character. Is she an accepting character or a judgemental character? It changes what those tears mean.

We also don't know much about her relationship. I mean, if anybody saw Delovely or Frida, those are developed characters and relationships. You know exactly how they feel about each other and what their intentions are. This one, not so much. Why does Heath Ledger's wifey stay married to him after finding out? I don't know. She's underdeveloped too.

Anyway... Between it and Crash, I pick Crash. Crash does the same thing but way better. It takes a controversial subject, and explores it in depth without relying on it to carry the film. Crash has a ton of characters and by the end, you know who they all are. It's not an impossible thing to achieve.