Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Switched to Raw food

Here is a food update on Schultz for ya!

I went and saw a holistic vet over the holidays regarding Schultz's allergies and finally, upon her suggestion, made the switch to a raw diet. I had been toying with the idea for months, but made the great leap of faith!

I am happy to report that Schultz LOVES it and cannot wait to be fed. He picks out all the meat first and then eats the ground up veggies (when I was making a home made cooked diet, it was the opposite). It was also interesting the the vet pointed out that Schultz was a little chubby around the neck area and needed to loose three pounds (I always thought that dogs got chubby around their "waist" area). Anyway, while I loved the solid gold brand, it just wasn't working for Schultz (nor was the home made diet I was making).

Right now I am feeding the pre-made raw patties by the Urban Carnivore since I can buy it locally.

Oh and thanks Technodoll and boxerrescue your suggestion on web sites etc. really helped me too!

Last edited by SchnauzerGirl; January 6th, 2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Honest Contributor

wooohoooo schnauzergirl! betcha your boy is thanking his mommy big time, LOL! now when you've been doing raw for a while and you feel comfortable and notice all the great changes in your boy (don't you love those small outputs? LOL) you can take the next step and drop the expensive commercial raw patties and just go natural... there's also reason the veggies are being eaten last (they're really not needed)

anyhoo you have all the guidance you need on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/, lots of us here also feed raw so you're not alone - your holistic vet is also an excellent resource.

just a side-note: i have to supplement my dog's raw diet with holistic kibble as he was just not getting enough calories to gain weight (he's not a big eater, never was, plus he's lazy and not a chewer at all, imagine that!) but ideally, i would ditch the kibble in a heartbeat. his poops are nasty big when he eats the stuff and during the holidays, i had no access to raw for 10 days while traveling and visiting relatives, and you should have seen how quickly the yellow sticky gunky plaque built up on his teeth - it was horrifying! once home though, his teeth became shiny white again after a couple meals of big raw meaty bones: raw pork roast with bone, and raw turkey breast & back.

i'm so proud of you!! woohhoo!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM

You may have won this round, Technodoll, but I'll win the next one. I'm kidding. I'd probably feed home-made if I had any money at all... What's good for the doggies is good for us.

I hope Schultz gets well on this diet.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

YAY! That's great news I'm happy to hear that the switch went well. My Vegas has been on raw since he was a pup and he's the most healthy dog I have met. It's great that you have a vet that supports you, so do we and it's a big bonus. Good luck!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Honest Contributor

LOL prin, you crack me up!

i'm not a "fanatic" about raw though, you would never catch me dead feeding a sheep's head to my boy! (he'd prolly run away scared anyways, ha ha). i believe in a healthy balance of all things in life... boy, if only i applied that to my own feeding i'd certainly be healthier !!

as i type my boy is wolfing down a couple cups of Go! Natural mixed with freshly baked, chopped-up chicken livers and hearts (they were on sale today ), basted in the cooking juices.. peeeyoooo jezus it's stinky but he LOVES it. He also loved his dinner earlier of a raw hunk of bone-in turkey breast & leg meat though. my rule is... ya eat your raw meat & RMB's, you get kibble for the 2nd meal!

ok gotta remember to take a beef roast out of the freezer before bed... for the dog's dinner this weekend, LOL! (love the cheap cuts on sale, always stock up). we'll probably eat frozen pizza and cereal!!

Old January 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Raw Meaty Bones?

Freshly baked chopped up chicken liver huh? I once made Schultz some liver treats and just about puked up my cookies while it was baking. Yep, it is really peeeeyoo stinky but of course, the smellier it is, the more they love it. I'd take the salmon cookies smell over the liver smell any day though.

I am happy to say that Schultz has lost two pounds and is starting to look great (although appears to always be hungry now). Right now he is on 70% veg to 30% meat because of his allergies to protein. I have baked up some grain free cookies for him too (using potato flour) and also have been feeding different kinds of nuts for treats along with fruit... I'd have to say that my dog eats better than I do!

So when you feed the raw meaty bones to your dog, do you contain him to a certain area so it isn't messy, or do you kick your dog outside when you feed it?
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Honest Contributor

schauzergirl:

"So when you feed the raw meaty bones to your dog, do you contain him to a certain area so it isn't messy, or do you kick your dog outside when you feed it?"

i used to let him eat on his favorite spot (the living room carpet of course ) but i got tired of washing it all the time, so now i kick him outside to eat them. lucky for me, it's the ONLY place he will eat them now, LOL! he eats on the balcony, no more mess. if he leaves some behind (rare nowadays but he used to, before) i either pick up and put away for the next meal, or leave it out if cold enough to be a natural fridge - or freezer, these days.

many people feed their raw dogs in a crate, or on a plastic sheet, all kinds of improvisations...

i don't understand your comment about your dog being allergic to protein... raw protein from fresh natural sources is not the same as the processed, denatured cooked protein in commercial food... no wonder your pooch always looks hungry - he is there is no nutrition in veggies except fiber and some vitamins, and no calories... or fat... dogs can eat *some* veggies but they are not needed and, in bigger quantities, can cause allergies and digestive upsets, too... they need the protein that whole, raw meaty parts can give them... this includes sinew, cartilage, tendons, muscles, bone, skin and fat... ya know?

if you continue to feed so little meat and so many veggies, your dog will melt down to skin and bones and develop symptoms of nutrition deficiency. his system is built for eating and metabolizing protein, not vegetable matter.... If you want him to lose weight, feed lean meats, trim off excess fat and skin, give big odd-shaped pieces that make him work for his food, watch him go to town on a whole chicken! if he's allergic to chicken, try turkey. try pork, beef, rabbit, goat, fish, anything you can get your hands on.

have you joined the raw-feeding list for great tips and pointers?... they're a great bunch!! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Last edited by technodoll; January 9th, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Technodoll,

Yep, I've joined the usergroup but have yet to post anything and find it a tadd bit difficult to read some of the postings, but then again, I haven't devoted much time to the group yet.

I talked with my vet this morning and mentioned that I felt that he should be at least 50% veg to 50% meat because while he is on a "weight watchers diet", he is acting totally starved and she said that was ok to change him over to 50 - 50 but no more than that right now as he is trying to lose a few more pounds. She said that even on a 50 - 50 diet he would act like he is hungry because he is used to having grains in his diet which take longer to digest and he is losing weight. And she wanted to see if only a little amount of protein would help his allergies since I suspect they are to certain proteins - although yes, they were cooked which changes them.

So, so far so good. I have to call the vet in two weeks to do another update!

Thanks again for all your sage advice.
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Honest Contributor

you go girl!!! i so proud of you!!

Old January 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Hahaha, that is a great shot of Homer J Simpson!

Mmmm, beer
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

You can also try Human Grade Horsemeat ground. If you ask a butcher at one of your local supermarkets they can get it in for you. I've seen great results on it and human grade means that they have checked for drugs.
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Devoted Dog Member

I live in a small town and I can imagine what the ladies at the local butcher store would do if I asked for horsemeat! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Schultzy certainly likes his increase of protein and certainly wasn't acting as hungry as the night before and I suspect that I won't see a change in his itching until at least four weeks has gone past. The main thing that I am happy about is that his ear problems have totally cleared up so we are on the right track. I wish that I had switched six months sooner....
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Honest Contributor

...but the important thing is that you have switched now, so no looking back! and give yourself a big pat on the back for stepping off the beaten path for the love of your beautiful boy.

it can take a few weeks to see changes re: coat, itching, etc, but it should resolve itself at some point... if not, he may be allergic to the protein source you are giving him. my bet is... it's the veggies... hopefully you can increase his protein eventually and decrease the veggies, grain, etc... and see a marked improvement! please keep us posted, i want to see good progress and lotsa happiness! woohooo! mmmm beer... doooonuts... LOL!

Old January 12th, 2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauzerGirl
I live in a small town and I can imagine what the ladies at the local butcher store would do if I asked for horsemeat! Thanks for the suggestion though.
LOL you have to go get it the morning of your next dinner party!
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Hahahahahha