Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old January 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM

tellmekitty

Yesterday I lost my friend,,,her name was Tellmekitty,,I made the decision to have her put to sleep due to cancer. I am still hurting but I know I did the right thing. She was a wonderful companion who kept my secrets and did not judge me, and we had long conversations as she liked to talk. I don't know how long to wait before I should get another cat, and if I do it will be one from a shelter near me. Is there a time limit to wait? Any thoughts?
Bless your Pets, and Owners,,,,,,Tellme
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m so sorry you lost your little friend. I'm sure you did the right thing and your kitty would thank you for ending her suffering.

There is no time limit on when to bring a new kitty home. It depends on you, and when you feel ready to open your heart to another needy animal.

Some people cannot bear being without a pet and get another one the next day, and some people wait a year or more.

A new little friend can sometimes go a long way towards healing a broken heart.
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
owned by Tucker

So sorry to here of your loss, yes you did the right thing. It will be 2 years Jan 10 that I pts my dog Travis, due to cancer, it took me 6 months to get a new dog. Like LR said it depends on you, let yourself decide don't go by what other people tell you, only you know when you are ready to let another fur friend in your heart.
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM

tellme

thank you Lucky Rescue,,,Doggy Lover,,for your kindest thoughts, they helped me alot, I think I will wait before getting another cat,,maybe this spring. Bless you,,,,,Sue,,,tellmekitty
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM
-

sorry

So sorry for your loss,you did the right thing not letting your cat suffer.Like the others;you will know when the times come and there is no time limit.One day,you will find a cat that needs you (as much as you need him)
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss!
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:45 PM

tellme

Once again ty Frenchy,,,Cyberkitten for your warm thoughts, so great to have a place to go and talk, it does help. I have been looking into the shelters here for a "new" friend. Bless You and Your Pets....Sue,,tellme
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my kitty in September and was just driven to find another one. Everyone tried to tell me it was too soon but I couldn't stop myself. I adopted a new kitty 6 weeks after he died and it really helped me heal. I am mouring my old kitty and enjoying this one at the same time. A very strange feeling. Everyone here is right. You, yourself will know when the time is right.
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so so sorry for your loss. When Joey died I was inconsolable and said I would never have another dog because I didn't want another dog--I wanted Joey back. That lasted 11 days. Then I knew that I had to--and will always have to -- have a furbaby in my home.

Just allow yourself your feelings. You're very very sad and that's the way you SHOULD feel right now.

You'll know when it's time to bring the new baby home.
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:39 AM

Sorry for your loss

My heart goes out to you for your loss. I know it hurts, and it will for a while.
I cried so much , almost every day. I called his name hoping he would hear me (dumb eh?).
In terms of getting another kitty, I can only tell you of my experience.

When i lost my "little guy" i was devistated. I believe that I had a real connection to him. I really wasn't serious about getting another cat, but one came into my life - about 8 months later. The bottom line -- she really healed me. She connected to me the same way that my previous cat did, and she doesnt leave my side - always wanting to play chase, or hide and seek in her "cat tunnel". When I come home from work , she is so happy, she greets me ( and talks to me making little "squeaks").

The only tragedy is that our little ones are not hear on earth long enough, and the price we pay for their love is the grief of their loss.
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=tandD
I cried so much , almost every day. I called his name hoping he would hear me (dumb eh?).
QUOTE]

Not dumb at all. I did the same thing.
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM

thank you

I thank all of you for your thoughts,,,On Sunday Jan. 08, i went to the spca and adopted a "new" friend,,,I really glad I did. It is helping me get over my lost. My new friend is 4 yrs old, neauterd brown tabby manx who I call Lynx.
The support shown in here is great,,,,once again ty all. Tellmekitty
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
-

Lynx

Congrats!!!And thank you for adopting from the spca.See,I told you you were going to find a kitty that needed you.But now you have to post a picture of him (if you can) please please please.