Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 31st, 2005, 11:10 AM
-

Question Commercial Dog Food Advice Wanted

Very reluctantly, I have made a decision to move from our home-cooked/raw diet to a commercial dog food. The grrrl's (6 yrs) haven't been on kibble since puppydom, Declan on the other hand I imagine was fed kibble his entire 8 yrs. however, he doesn't seem able to handle very rich foods ie. turkey, liver, pork. Bridie is the Original Hoover and will eat anything - moving or not - and is desperately in need of a diet (we've started a new excercise program - I've lost 5 lb's ! ) . Ceili has a VERY VERY VERY tetchy gut (look at her sideways and she gets The Splats). I am looking for a brand of kibble with no synthetic additives (and no lamb as I know this is a no-no for Ceili) which is nutritionally balanced with a high organic and human-grade food content suitable for 3 large dogs which can be purchased in the super-large bags (unlike Wynsong) and costs under $100 per bag. I'll likely buy a diet version and a regular or tetchy-gut version. Any ideas?
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:11 PM
<-----nut ball

Eagle Pack, Merrick, and Natural Balance all come to mind for me. All are holistic, natural, and come in large bags, under $100.

Just to keep in mind, diet food for dogs is really just a gimick. It's better to use a regular food, just lessen the amount you feed. Eagle Pack has a "reduced fat" food, but it's first ingredient is rice, and it's third is corn, which doesn't sound good to me.

Here are some suggestions:

Eagle Pack
Holistic Select® Large & Giant Breed Adult Formula
Holistic Select® Chicken Meal & Rice Formula
Holistic Select®
Duck Meal & Oatmeal Formula

Holistic Select® Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal w/Oatmeal Formula

Merrick
Merrick has wonderful human grade canned dog food that we use for special occasions. We like to spoon a bit on our dogs food almost daily as well. I'm not so well versed in their dry foods though, but they all have amazin ingredients. Check their website out.

Natural Balance
Their website is weird, so linking to the foods is hard, but I would recommend the allergy formula Duck and Potato (this is what we feed our bulldog and he loves it, and it comes in a dry and wet food, as well as cookies). Their reduced cal formula has lamb, so that's out (although the ingredients are pretty good). They have an Organic formula that looks pretty good. They have a sweet potato and fish food that is good, a venison and brown rice one, and even a vegetarian formula.
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:19 PM

I don't like Eagle pack as they have some ingredients in there that should not be in foods of that quality range...

Timberwolf Organics, if you can find it looks good too. Solid Gold and Wellness are ok too (Solid Gold Wolf King is a bit cheaper- $67.99 for 33lbs).

Here's a thread where I posted links to a bunch (see post#4): http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18592
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:23 PM

BTW the things I was referring to in Eagle Pack are beet pulp (see thread about stool hardeners: (Thread)), tomato pomace (also a hardener) and corn. Also we talked a while ago about citric acid being a suspect in bloat, so if that is a concern, it's best to steer clear.

To me, if you're trying a more natural kibble, you don't want the hardeners in there or the corn. I want my doggies' stools to be hard because they're healthy, not because of a chemical in the food.
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Owned by goldens

Commercial food

I feed my dogs Solid Gold, Wolf King. The meat proteins are bison and salmon. The cost per bag in Canada for a 33 lb bag is approximately $70.00 before tax. In the U.S. the price is about $45.00 per bag.
It is a holistic all natural food that is very tasty even for picky eaters. As for giving a diet food I would recommend just giving less of a regular food (25%) cutting out doggy treats and giving carrot sticks instead. Carrots and pieces of other vegetables can be added to regular foods. It doesn't add many calories and the dog will be full and not know that he is on a diet.

There are some other great foods like Wellness and Natural Balance although I have had no experience feeding them to my dogs.
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:40 PM

I was wondering where you went, Coppper! I was feeling lonely recommending Wolf King all by myself...