Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Papa D

small patch of dry fur

Question about a dry patch of fur on tail.

My 9 month old pit cross has a dry patch of fur about 3" long on his tail,this patch has always been there but it was soft like the rest of his fur , but this last few days it has gotten straw like and it is the only spot on him , the fur has always been lighter in colour in this area , but is not itchy , has no red patches and does not seem to bother him when i touch it. the fur seems to pull out easily in this area. the only thing that has changed was his diet , he has switched from science diet dry to solid gold hounden flocken dry with merricks canned being fed along , could this be an allergy? and if so would it show within a couple days? he only changed diet on thursday of last week. i'v heard that lamb based food account for alot of allergies and that chicken and duck are best.
anyway we have a vet visit on friday.
Attached Images

Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Has he been wormed recently?
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Papa D

he was dewormed with i think sentinal it also was a heartworm thing also , that was august , in july he had a small patch of bare skin on his side near his rib cage , he was given a dose of mite control liquid at the base of his neck and it cleared .
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM

My first thought was an allergy, as this is typically the first place food allergies will present. On the other hand, he could be detoxing from the science diet. During detox, things usually get worse before they get better.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

He's only 9 months now, correct? A normal worming program for pups is 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks then once per month until 6 months of age so I think he may have missed some wormings. I know when we get pups in whose tails look like that we generally go with worms as the culprit. I would bring a fecal along with you to the vet just in case.
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip
My first thought was an allergy, as this is typically the first place food allergies will present. On the other hand, he could be detoxing from the science diet. During detox, things usually get worse before they get better.
That's true, but I don't know if it would happen so fast. Usually, you get horrible smelling stool for a while first...

I don't use sentinel- does it cover all worms?

It's hard to say about the lamb and chicken. While intolerance to lamb is more common than intolerance to chicken, as far as I know, they're both fairly rare. But at the same time, a lot of the ingredients in chicken foods cause allergies. I think companies assume you're feeding lamb because of allergies, so they tend to put less of the usual fillers in there (no wheat or corn). Unless you specifically get a chicken and rice food or a chicken and potato food, you're likely to have a lot of possible allergens in it.

It's highly unlikely that he'd be allergic to HundnFlocken too, mainly because he's probably never had lamb before, right? Science diet is mainly corn, and there isn't any of it in the Solid Gold, either....

Last edited by Prin; January 16th, 2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip
Typical allergy-related patterns will not appear on the base of the tail ?! They would likely show either as ear infections or as itchy lesions on the paws (especially between the toes), the inside of the legs, the belly, the face and eventually the back, given a moth-eaten appearence to the coat. I am not suggesting allergies are not causing this, but it is far from the usual patterns.

Do you have any idea what your dog is mixed with ? Some dogs do have some much rougher hair on the base of the tail. I'm thinking of my Pointers whose hair texture is definitely different on that exact spot. However, the hair should not fall off easily as you say, unless it is normal shedding.

Any condition caused by parasites or even allergies would very likely be itchy. If this is not the case, maybe your dog is just changing coats ?