Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 6th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Question Nutritional needs of older dog with health issues

My 12 year old BooBoo has severe osteoarthritis and at times has trouble keeping his balance. We're under a vet's care and he is taking Metacam for pain and as an anti-inflammatory. This is the first summer we have had this problem. In the past, when the weather gets warm/hot, he stops eating for several days. Now I should mention, he stops eating his dog food, but does not give up any snacks that might come his way! I know that's my fault, but I can't stand the fact he isn't eating so I'll give him anything to put something in his tummy. I also know that he's not getting much "doggie" nutrition from this human food. I have never found a dog food that he loves unless it's pure fat and bad for him. The medicine he's taking causes stomach problems if not given with food. I want to make sure he's getting enough nutrition to keep up his energy level and to keep him healthy enough to fight his problems. Spending days breaking him of eating snacks just isn't going to work at this stage of the game and with his medicine. I've tried putting a few bites of toast on his dog food, sit with him, practically hand feed him, and the sweet boy eats the toast and walks away!! He definitely knows how to "play" me! If he won't eat his dog food, is he getting enough to sustain him with a little human food?
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Since he is not wanting to eat the kibble and being an older pet at least try to ensure he is getting nutritious meals into him, so home prepare. for example boil together some rice, ground beef and add diced veggies to it, you can use chicken, turkey, lamb and canned fish like sardines for meat substitutes instead of rice you can use pasta, you can season with a touch of garlic and parsley, add some tsp of vegetable oil, you can also add in some cottage cheese and eggs, he will need a calcium carbonate supplement, so dissolving in a Tums tablet will provide for that need. In the winter you can slowly start adding kibble in and gradually cut back the home prepared portion
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM

There are also Merrick canned foods that are super tasty...
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_dog_food.php
Mix a bit into the food and chances are his appetite might get better.
(their "campfire trout feast" mixes in really well and has so much stinky fishy goodness )
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks so much for the advice, OntarioGreys and Prin. I so worry that he's not getting enough calories and nutrition to keep him going. He did eat his dry food the last two days, so that's a good sign. I am going to take your advice and make homemade food for him - not just snacks. I have learned so much from being on this website! Everyone is so helpful. Thanks again! I'm thinking he's gonna really love his Mama now that she's making homemade meals for him!! I had never heard of Merrick pet foods before, so I did a search for them near us. I was flabbergasted to find out that they sell them at a store in my hometown - go figure!! I'll go buy a can tomorrow and see if that helps, too. Prin, are the Merrick foods pretty mild for older tummies?
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

We just switched Jesse to Merrick. Oh boy does she love it. I've never seen a dog so excited about food as Jesse is now. I think her favorite is grammy's pot pie. The only one she isn't too crazy about is the Wild Buffalo.