Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 6th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Question Dog with severly swollen cheeks

Could someone, preferrably a vet, please take a look at these pictures and tell me what is wrong with my dog? This is the third time that this has happened to him over the past year. His cheeks are severly swollen, as well as underneath his mouth. They usually go down to normal size within 24 hours and they do not seem to cause him any discomfort. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Old July 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM

do you have any biting insects (ants, wasps, bees, spiders) in your house or yard?
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytris
do you have any biting insects (ants, wasps, bees, spiders) in your house or yard?
Well....we live way out in the country.....so anything is possible. We actually have two dogs, both stay outside. But this is the only dog this ever happens to.
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Given that vets RARELY make an appearance here, I would suggest taking your dog to your regular one. There's something seriously wrong, be that spider/ant/insect bites or something worse. I hope all goes well, but I think you've got to schedule a vet appointment to get to the bottom of this.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM

This has happened to your poor dog 3 times over the past year and you have never taken him to a vet?
Please, please take him to a vet ASAP. I hope he gets better and please update us.

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Could be an allergic reaction to something, maybe a bite, but if the reactions get worse and you're far from a vet, there could be trouble... Better to talk to the vet about it while it's still not life-threatening.
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Looks like reaction to bites to me! Let us know.
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

to me it looks like a bad bite, you might want---- to keep your little one indoors check with you vet and go see him or her, why do your babies stay outside???????? good luck
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog with severly swollen cheeks.

Could he be eating a plant? It looks like an allergic reaction and being that it is close to his mouth means that it could get severe. I would certainly contact your vet for a consultation.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM

I've seen that face many times on snakebit dogs...almost always a rattlesnake. Most large dogs survive, a friend of mine just lost a Boston due to a rattler bite, another has hers in the vet for the same thing. Check for fang marks...
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

looks exactly like the wasp bites my last dog had, she'd swell up like that at least twice a month,(multiple bites at one time) she had this thing about catching wasps, and being we live in the country, there are wasps in ground nests everywhere,I couldn't break her of it, after the first two times that I rushed her to the vets in a panic, he told me to just keep giving her something for the itch, nothing I could do about it....