Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old December 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Sudden death of my cat.....

I am grieving today for my lovely cat, Oscar. We rushed him to the emergency veterinary clinic on Sunday morning at 3 a.m. as he was having a difficult time breathing. This started around 12:30 a.m. as was discovered by our tennant, whose room the cat liked to sleep in. The tennant moved the cat and just thought he was snoring as he was in a certain position. At 2:30, the tennant was awakened by the cat's laboured breathing, at which point he woke us up.

I palpated the cat's abdomen but it was fine. When I felt his chest it was rock hard and distended, so I knew we had a major problem. I could also see that he was not himself and taking very short breaths and making noise with each breath. He was absolutely a-ok in the morning: eating, bright eyed, tail in the air.

We took him in and $500 later and some bloodwork and xrays later, it was explained that his heart was grossly enlarged and his lungs now full of fluid. Basically he was drowning.

Can you imagine how shocked we were? There was no indication until that time that my cat was in anyway, ill, or at least, he would not let us in on it!
The only alternative that was humane was euthanasia, which we did, as he was very uncomfortable and suffering now. :sad:

My heart is sick and soooooooo sad.....He was such a good cat, abandoned, found in a closet in an apartment for a week after the owners moved away. He was overweight, deaf from so many earmites and buildup, and then we got him, fixed him up and he became quite a regal fellow! Loved to lay by the fire and purr up a storm! He was just a real pleasure to have underfoot

I never expected him to pass away just like that. I am currently nursing another cat who is ill, and fully expect to lose her soon as well. But this really just floored us.

On top of that, my mother just told me the same day that she found a fair-sized lump in her breast, and her doctor has already discussed mastectomy and other options. Testing has begun.

Can I swear here? Is there an exception for such situations........crap......
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Lezzpezz I can only say that I am truly sorry that you've lost your kitty and that your mom is ill. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sooo sorry :sad:

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:46 PM

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss.:sad: :sad:
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Ahh Lez, I am sooo sorry. Talk about alot on your plate. So sorry for your loss.
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Agility Addict

Unhappy

Oh no, how awful...I am so sorry! It's just terrible that things can happen so quickly. It's so unfair especially since it seems that you have more hard times on the way. :sad:

Poor Oscar...I can't believe you lost him so quickly.

I'll be thinking of you and sending you positive energy:love: .
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Living in Chaos!

My sincere condolences for your loss Lezz. I sure know the feeling. My totally healthy kitty passed away a year ago mysteriously as well.

I am truly sorry.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry Lezz, for both your cat and your mom. I've been there for both, and I can only tell you to stay strong. We're here for you.
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss!! Abd also to hear the news of your mom - not all lumps are neoplastic but if her doc is discussing those kind of options. s/e may have already determined it is. Many women survive breat cancer and do very well tho it is not a cancer I treat often, for obvious reason. I did go thru with my gram tho - there has been termendous progress made in breast cancer in recent yrs (esp since the research done actually included women!!!) and some protocols that do very well, I fact, I know many breat cancer survivers!! I always tell people to go with their loved ones to doctor appts - it helps not just for moral support but for someone else to taker notes and think of other questions. These visits can be emotional and it is important to get all the facts!!

Do as much reaearch as you can and I will keep you all in my thoughts!!

Last edited by CyberKitten; December 20th, 2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Kitty Consort

Oh, Lezz, I am so sorry to hear of this sad news. What a terrible shock for you, and a double blow of bad news.
My deepest sympathies on the sudden loss of your sweet Oscar.

I will keep your dear Mom in my thoughts and prayers, and your familly.
My heart goes out to you all at such a difficult time, I send all my positive wishes.
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Lezz,all I can say is sorry,sorry for your loss of Oscar and the news about your mom.Hopefully your mom will be ok,I know three women who survived breastcancer and mastectomies and years later are living cancer-free.
RIP,sweet Oscar:love:
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh I am sooo sorry for your loss !! :sad: It's just devastating I know.

Your mom has a tough road ahead I'm sure, as will you as you walk the road with her. I know many women who have survived breast cancer. There's little else that's as devastating as a cancer diagnosis. There's also little else that's as exhilarating as being a survivor.

I survived sarcoma. In March of 2000, when I was diagnosed, I asked the doctor if I would see Christmas. He thought about it for a minute (it seemed like a year) and then he said "Yes you'll see Christmas, but I can't guarantee you anything after at."

Well I'm cancer free and healthy. Cyberkitten gave you great advice of course. Research Research Research !!! It absolutely saved my life.

In the meantime I think you have a right to say a lot more than "crap". And I'd spike my eggnog tonight too if I were you.

Take care of yourself. I'm so sorry you are sad for the holidays !!
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:14 PM

I'm verry sorry to hear of all your bad news.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Keep strong and be well.

Spelling is an option
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Thank you all

Thank you to all of you! You sure know how to show support and care for one another. I am fortunate, as we all are, to have eachother for times like these.

Mom had xray yesterday, appointment today. I am so sick with a bloody cold that I can't make it past the teapot in the kitchen....and back to the sofa, so I can't take her to appointments. I have no energy and feel awful. Luckily, my mom has a huge number of taxi chits that a friend gave me to give to her, so she travels around for free!

We talk on the phone several times a day too, so I can boost her morale that way for now. I don't want her to catch my cold to-boot

We are mending our hearts without Oscar. Sure do miss his fuzzy body beside me in bed.....

Thank you for all being there and being wonderful:love:
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry for the loss of Oscar, and also to hear of your mom's diagnosis.

But try and stay positive! My mother in law had a mastectomy at the age of 55, and recently passed away at age 87, still cancer free!!

Here's hoping the same for your mother...