Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM

dog drinking & peeing a lot!

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a long time but I have a question about my bichon frise. She's almost 14 yrs old. Lately she's been drinking a lot more and having to go out a lot more...I didn't really notice at first but she's been peeing on the floor a bit (at night while we're sleeping) so that's what brought it to my attention. She's also been shaking a bit the past few days (I think it may be that she's just cold because her fur is pretty short right now - i'm going to buy her a sweater tomorrow to see if it helps). One more thing, she's been whining but she's normally a whiny dog anyway (more like talking really!) so this may not have any relevance, i don't know. Anyway does this sound like a bladder infection (possibly?). I'm going to make an appt with her vet but unless it was an emerg, i'd rather wait until after christmas...I mean doesn't "seem" too serious but I do worry about her...I also hate the idea of them running all sorts of tests on her at her age, the vet stresses her out major to begin with. I'm not looking for a diagnosis of course but any idea what *could* be wrong? What kind of tests would a vet do for this?
thanks to anyone who responds
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:39 PM
<-----nut ball

Sounds like either a bladder infection, or diabetes (a sign of diabetes is drinking a lot of water).

If it's a bladder infection, would you really want her to wait a week? (I don't know if you ever had one, but if left untreated in as short as a few days, the infection can lead up to the kidneys and cause a lot more probs)
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

drinking/peeing alot

If you were in her paws would you prefer to be ill an extra week? Since this doesn't appear to be something that will clear up on its own why prolong the inevitable, even though a trip to the vet stresses her out a bladder infection is painful, gives you chills, abnormal thirst and the inability to retain urine (have had them myself) and the sooner she's treated the less risk of developing secondary infections. She is telling you something is not right. A urine sample can detect a bladder infection.
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree. Christmas is still a week away. If it's not anything serious it won't be that big a deal and if it is (hopefully it won't be) something serious, it's much better to get a jump on it than to let it go untreated.
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:36 AM

Yeah, I would go in now. If you wait and it gets worse, you might be stuck paying the big bucks for an emergency vet when all the regular ones are closed for the holidays...

Sounds like diabetes, a bladder infection or incontinence due to age and weakening of the bladder muscles. Whatever it is, it's humiliating for a doggy to go through this and I hope you get her help soon.
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I will get her checked ASAP